• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is important because of the rumor that came out saying he'd wait for an extension if he landed on a desired team. But can we fit him under the cap with his current salary?
1. His 2020 cap hit, if traded, should be like $3-4M, so we can definitely afford him.
2. We certainly can't afford an extension this year. For some reason, when I read the team trade list, I thought I read that those were the teams he'd agree to be traded to WITHOUT signing an extension. I think that makes more sense because, frankly, if his objective is to be the highest paid Safety in football, he probably doesn't care who the team is. Like if the Colts came calling and said they'd give him a lucrative extension, I can't imagine he would decline a trade there.
I think the list he compiled is a list of teams he'd go play for under his current contract. Likely with the expectation that next year or shortly after, they'd lock him up.

If he requires a long term extension in place to get traded to the Ravens, he won't be a Raven this year then.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. His 2020 cap hit, if traded, should be like $3-4M, so we can definitely afford him.
2. We certainly can't afford an extension this year. For some reason, when I read the team trade list, I thought I read that those were the teams he'd agree to be traded to WITHOUT signing an extension. I think that makes more sense because, frankly, if his objective is to be the highest paid Safety in football, he probably doesn't care who the team is. Like if the Colts came calling and said they'd give him a lucrative extension, I can't imagine he would decline a trade there.
I think the list he compiled is a list of teams he'd go play for under his current contract. Likely with the expectation that next year or shortly after, they'd lock him up.

If he requires a long term extension in place to get traded to the Ravens, he won't be a Raven this year then.
I personally also believe he has increased his chances at a trade to the Ravens with his comment about not needing an extension right away. I think this year his salary like you said is around 3.5M and that can be accommodated. The question really becomes are the Ravens willing to part with a couple of high round picks for him, especially knowing how much we value our draft picks and the money invested in our scouting department.

The value checks out, EDC said a 1st round pick is 50/50 so for every Stanley/Humphrey/Lamar we get a Elam/Perriman/Hurst etc, so two first round picks usually parlays into one good player and Jamal is already the best all round safety in the league and will be for the next 6 or more years.

As for fit our pass defense thrives on strong coverage and non turnover plays, Jamal impacts a defense by making a big plays at the line of scrimmage and backfield. He can also shutdown tight ends in man coverage.

Trade or no trade I trust whatever EDC does.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why would we even entertain the idea? We have a queue of young pro bowlers waiting on extensions and would have to give multiple high picks to bring another? Not to mention he's crying after only a 3rd year of his rookie contract and has a bit of history with throwing tantrums like a petulant child.

because he's that talented and he's a perfect fit for wink's defence

i dont think it happens but he'd be a massive boon for this defence even with chuck and earl on the team already

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I personally also believe he has increased his chances at a trade to the Ravens with his comment about not needing an extension right away. I think this year his salary like you said is around 3.5M and that can be accommodated. The question really becomes are the Ravens willing to part with a couple of high round picks for him, especially knowing how much we value our draft picks and the money invested in our scouting department.
So my thing is, EDC and co expressed interest before last last seasons trade deadline, and apparently were “calling hard” last May. This leads me to believe that they highly, highly value him, and might be aggressive and make a splash to obtain him. The aligning of cutting Earl next season or the following season would be perfect timing for a Jamal extension

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The value checks out, EDC said a 1st round pick is 50/50 so for every Stanley/Humphrey/Lamar we get a Elam/Perriman/Hurst etc, so two first round picks usually parlays into one good player and Jamal is already the best all round safety in the league and will be for the next 6 or more years.

As for fit our pass defense thrives on strong coverage and non turnover plays, Jamal impacts a defense by making a big plays at the line of scrimmage and backfield. He can also shutdown tight ends in man coverage.

Trade or no trade I trust whatever EDC does.

just to clarify - EDC said trading up in the 1st round is around 50/50 not them picking in the first round

I think we'd be ok parting with a 1st rounder and maybe a mid-round pick on top at most

2 1st rounders is too much - that's 10 years of team control on young players we're giving up for 2 years of control on jamal adams

JAAM

Hall of Famer
There will be NO ONE that will be close to Jamal's level as a Safety as a 1st round pick, especially if we're picking last or close to last. Do we really want another Elam situation?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
just to clarify - EDC said trading up in the 1st round is around 50/50 not them picking in the first round

I think we'd be ok parting with a 1st rounder and maybe a mid-round pick on top at most

2 1st rounders is too much - that's 10 years of team control on young players we're giving up for 2 years of control on jamal adams
Yea I'm not down with two 1st's but I don't think he goes for that unless Jerry is his usual idiotic self.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brother JAAM. It is time to reignite the #SIIE train. Far too long, the Ravens Wannabes have gotten away with this bullshit. It is only right and just for the football gods to bring order in this world and allow our beloved Ravens, the true heroes, to make this trade go into fruition.

Yes, I'm aware that this trade may not be financially feasible for us. Fuck it. YOLO.
5th rounder for Adams. Get it done Eric.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There will be NO ONE that will be close to Jamal's level as a Safety as a 1st round pick, especially if we're picking last or close to last. Do we really want another Elam situation?

i think part of the reluctance is positional - if we had a glaring need at safety this would be the world's biggest no-brainer - but we're paying 2 safeties and 2 corners, have another all-pro corner and then a former first round pick on a cheap deal

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If the trade compensation is purely just a 1st round pick, and not multiples, I don't think that would be the hangup in a trade. I have no doubts the Ravens would give up a late 1 to get Adams.

The accompanying price tag for what you have to pay him + the picks is the roadblock. If I were the Ravens and making this trade, I'm probably not extending him until 2022, which is right when I would be cutting Earl Thomas. And based on everything we're hearing from Jamal, I'm not convinced he'll be super thrilled to play two more years at below market value, regardless of what team he is playing for.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
So my thing is, EDC and co expressed interest before last last seasons trade deadline, and apparently were “calling hard” last May. This leads me to believe that they highly, highly value him, and might be aggressive and make a splash to obtain him. The aligning of cutting Earl next season or the following season would be perfect timing for a Jamal extension
That's what I was thinking too. But he needs to wait till his 5th year option is complete for an extension with us. We can part ways with ET3 in 2022 and sign Jamal to a big extension around then.

DoWhatNow

Practice Squad
How about something similar to the Khalil Mack trade? Adams, 2021 5th, 2022 2nd for Ravens’ 2021 1st, 2021 6th, 2022 1st and a later 2022 pick. Yes the Ravens gave up that 2nd 1st round pick but they get back a 2nd which given how good the Ravens should be and how bad the Jets sans Adams should be could only be a 10 pick move back. Maybe less. The Jets would still be able to claim they got 2 1sts for Adams.

The thing is we've been 50/50 on 1st round moves since 2010, sitting put and trading back has been hit and miss. Potentially trading for Adams however isnt likd moving up for an unproven prospect its trading for the best player at his position.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I reckon there's less and less chance we watch much sports this year.

upload_2020-6-20_8-13-19.png

Lot of trouble in Florida based facilities of various MLB, NHL, MSL, NWSL teams.
Also 49ers player who practiced in Nashville is positive and the Bucs assistant coach.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1274054191925747717

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-20_8-15-50.png
    upload_2020-6-20_8-15-50.png
    39 KB · Views: 159

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The thing is we've been 50/50 on 1st round moves since 2010, sitting put and trading back has been hit and miss. Potentially trading for Adams however isnt likd moving up for an unproven prospect its trading for the best player at his position.

we've only had 2 and a half misses since 2010 in round 1: elam, perriman and hayden hurst (if you count him as a miss)

since 2016 we've been nailing the first round outside of hurst...

Ronnie Stanley all-pro LT
Marlon Humphrey all-pro CB
Lamar Jackson MVP QB
Hollywood

and we'll see with patrick queen but he was a great pick talent-wise

but we also got CJ Mosley and Jimmy Smith in the last decade in the first round too...

we've drafted 3 all pros in the first round in a row from 2016 and it's too early to tell how good hollywood will or can be yet

im not suggesting adams is unproven - just that 2 1sts doesnt normally equal 1 talented player based on historical drafting

2 of our worst misses in first round history happened since 2010 and they still dont get close to balancing out the good picks made in the 1st round by the ravens last decade

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Why are we hyping up for Jamal adams? We already have a high level in-box safety. He wears #22.

I’m on the trade for Yannick boat! He’s going to cost less to acquire. we’ll be trading to improve a weak position group over a stacked group.

Close your eyes and envision Campbell, Wolfe, Ferguson with the interior rush.. yannick speed rushing one side, and judon there to clean up the sack (his speciality lol).

TEAM YANNICK! Who’s with me!?

What’s with this “box safety” crap? Just because he’s a sure tackler? He’s one of the best coverage safety’s as well. I’d put only Derwin and maybe Eddie Jackson ahead of him in terms of playing coverage. He can literally play any position on defense except the line

My bad lol
Don't get me wrong, Davesta, I'd love Jamal Adams. But we all know that me and Brother JAAM have been on the #FreeYannick bandwagon for the longest. #SIIE!