• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Most definitely telling you that! lol Many players, no matter their position are "under paid" early in their careers. It's not isolated to QBs. And more often than not QBs on rookie deals are not having a major impact on their team's success.

Once they consistently prove their worth a QBs career earning power is unmatched. There's nothing "unfair" here.

i just think that's patently ridiculous - at every level except the rookie deals, there is a market that has established a player's value based on their position and their ability - the rookie deals are based on where you are selected and only that - it means there is no financial advantage to being better and it means there is no financial advantage for playing a position that has a larger impact on your team...

its a physical sport and at the moment the first 4-5 years of a players career is not paid at market value - the average NFL career is not long enough for that to be fair - the vast majority of NFL players don't get a 2nd contract to rectify how underpaid they were during their rookie deal

Most definitely telling you that! lol Many players, no matter their position are "under paid" early in their careers. It's not isolated to QBs. And more often than not QBs on rookie deals are not having a major impact on their team's success.

Once they consistently prove their worth a QBs career earning power is unmatched. There's nothing "unfair" here.

It's not isolated to sports either. Promote for potential, pay for experience as the saying goes.

i just think that's patently ridiculous - at every level except the rookie deals, there is a market that has established a player's value based on their position and their ability - the rookie deals are based on where you are selected and only that - it means there is no financial advantage to being better and it means there is no financial advantage for playing a position that has a larger impact on your team...

its a physical sport and at the moment the first 4-5 years of a players career is not paid at market value - the average NFL career is not long enough for that to be fair - the vast majority of NFL players don't get a 2nd contract to rectify how underpaid they were during their rookie deal

There's a reason though that the higher valued positions such as QB are drafted higher. Kicker would be the exception to the rule

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The average length of a football career is under 3 years.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The average length of a football career is under 3 years.
I think that average probably includes the guys that just aren't any good and don't stay around which are a bunch. If you were to look at the upper tier of players my guess would be QBs have the longest careers playing on average 10 - 12 years, probably about 8 - 10 for WRs. I would also guess RBs have the shortest careers. Again none of this is based on research, just a guess. lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think that average probably includes the guys that just aren't any good and don't stay around which are a bunch. If you were to look at the upper tier of players my guess would be QBs have the longest careers playing on average 10 - 12 years, probably about 8 - 10 for WRs. I would also guess RBs have the shortest careers. Again none of this is based on research, just a guess. lol
what is your upper tier. Top 10, 15, 30.... and yes that is based on undrafted free agents, but it is including everyone. It is an average that is based on research.

Tank

Hall of Famer
what is your upper tier. Top 10, 15, 30.... and yes that is based on undrafted free agents, but it is including everyone. It is an average that is based on research.
Just through casual observation you can see that most first team NFL players play much longer than 3 years. And what one would call a "franchise QB" plays at least 10 to 12 years.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

At what job do you not get paid for experience? I guess you don't remember the stupidness of rookie deals before the current CBA where #1 draft picks were the highest paid in the league. Just look at the Jamarcus Russel and Sam Bradford deals. Really pissed off a lot of veterans. Still pretty ridiculous to have to make up rules to stop the owners from themselves lol. Plus I believe all rookie deals can be renegotiated after the 3rd yr.

Sorry just cant feel bad for early 20 something guys making serious cash with the chance to go back to school for the fallback in case the NFL doesn't work out.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just through casual observation you can see that most first team NFL players play much longer than 3 years. And what one would call a "franchise QB" plays at least 10 to 12 years.
absolutely franchise QBs play much longer. I was only giving the avg of all players. Now all teams don't have franchise QBs so your taking this average from a much smaller amount.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
You guys think this would work? It's crazy to think how much more money ZDS could have gotten from the Packers if Rodgers' cap hit was separate from the Packers overall salary cap. Also where was this when we gave Joe $120M? We could have kept Boldin!

No. Good management (quality) should always be an important factor and therefore be a source of variance. Bad GMs would be rewarded for handing out bad contracts for Qbs because evaluating QBs no longer matters in terms of team building and cap. Teams with better qbs could "accelerate away" in a similiar fashion like in european football. The NFL is literally the most competitive balanced league, and such measures would create a serious threat.

Tank

Hall of Famer
absolutely franchise QBs play much longer. I was only giving the avg of all players. Now all teams don't have franchise QBs so your taking this average from a much smaller amount.
lol, your splitting hairs here. You know that the majority of QBs that start play much longer than 3 years. The players that play 3 years or less are not everyday starters no matter their position.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
lol, your splitting hairs here. You know that the majority of QBs that start play much longer than 3 years. The players that play 3 years or less are not everyday starters no matter their position.
i'm not saying your wrong. you're absolutely right. i was just explaining how i got the less than 3 and was trying to understand where you got 10-12 for qbs. you don't need to defend anything

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I guess it's encouraging that Lamar had a better second year than Mahomes, but I can't help but feeling as I watch the AFC Championship that we just completely folded. There's nothing the Chefs are doing that we couldn't. I maintain that Andrews and Ingram were probably more seriously injured than the team is willing to admit. It was simply remarkable - and sad, that such an explosive team had no answer when I sit here watching the Chefs do what we did all year. I'll believe injuries, but just as easily, Humphreys might have been correct too.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess it's encouraging that Lamar had a better second year than Mahomes, but I can't help but feeling as I watch the AFC Championship that we just completely folded. There's nothing the Chefs are doing that we couldn't. I maintain that Andrews and Ingram were probably more seriously injured than the team is willing to admit. It was simply remarkable - and sad, that such an explosive team had no answer when I sit here watching the Chefs do what we did all year. I'll believe injuries, but just as easily, Humphreys might have been correct too.

No moral victories here! And, of course there are things that the Chiefs are doing that the Ravens couldn't do!

The Ravens COULDN'T come back from their 14-0 deficit like the Chiefs did their 24-0 comeback on the Texans last week and then, with them being down to the Titans by 10 points on a few occasions to just explode by scoring TD's. The Ravens DIDN'T and COULDN'T do that last week! We're all Ravens fans here but let's keep it real! They played like trash and have to own that! And as far as Lamar's 2nd year being better than Mahomes' (since that is all some Ravens fans will have to hold onto after being bounced and trounced out of the playoffs....AGAIN), he hasn't advanced passed his 1st round in the playoffs for 2 consecutive years in a row. Mahomes? He's in the Super Bowl now! I'd take that over any individual stats during a regular season!

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
No moral victories here! And, of course there are things that the Chiefs are doing that the Ravens couldn't do!

The Ravens COULDN'T come back from their 14-0 deficit like the Chiefs did their 24-0 comeback on the Texans last week and then, with them being down to the Titans by 10 points on a few occasions to just explode by scoring TD's. The Ravens DIDN'T and COULDN'T do that last week! We're all Ravens fans here but let's keep it real! They played like trash and have to own that! And as far as Lamar's 2nd year being better than Mahomes' (since that is all Ravens fans have to hold onto after being bounced out of the playoffs)? He hasn't advanced passed his 1st round in the playoffs for 2 consecutive years in a row. Mahomes? He's in the Super Bowl now! I'd take that over any individual stats during a regular season!
Our receiver group is pretty weak compared to the Chiefs . Only Hollywood is showing anything . This is a problem when we get behind .

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

I know these guys joke around with each other, but based on how TJ did this year, do you guys think there's some truth to what Powers and Humphrey are saying? As in more than just trash talk?

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

I know these guys joke around with each other, but based on how TJ did this year, do you guys think there's some truth to what Powers and Humphrey are saying? As in more than just trash talk?

I like TJ the character, but not the player. tbh it wouldn't surprise me if TJ didn't know the playbook by heart.