• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You have some valid points but you just don't go throw high picks away even if they are the last pick in the 1st round. You make it seem like they aren't valuable picks unless they are top 5 picks and a 7 to 8 win team is top half of the round easy. Those picks could be some very good players. Just this this year they traded #13 and next yrs first with Watson suspended the year is still going to be a very good pick. Besides the Browns were only able to structure 45m signing bonus because they guaranteed the entire contract and protected Watson from suspension. Don't make the Browns out to be like they were wizards in the structure of this deal, because they weren't. They were in fact desperate to land him.
I guess my point is... why is it viewed as "throwing picks away"?. Basically, the only way they wasted those picks, is if the NFL basically goes well and above any suspension they've handed anybody, basically ever, and does something indefinite or for many years. And so far, that doesn't appear to be on the table for anybody who's even discussing it.
Honestly, if they suspended him for 2 years, I'm not sure it's wasting picks. They'll still have a high-end QB on their roster, for three more years, at a prime age.
If we're being objective, it doesn't appear like the trade compensation was a hang up for anybody that wanted him. It was the fact that the Browns gave him a fully guaranteed contract that pushed it over the edge. I have zero doubt that multiple NFL teams would have given up the same. Pretty much anybody who needed a QB and could afford to pay one.

We certainly disagree on the structure. I would have bet a deal that size gets a BIGGER signing bonus from most teams, because they'd want to prorate it longer. $45M on that size isn't a lot. Especially true when they didn't go the typical route of several annual roster bonuses, much like Allen and Mahomes deals are.

I'm saying they did great in structuring that deal that way because a) it allows them to restructure annually and b) it hedges against multi-year suspensions. You'd be hard pressed to find a franchise QB deal structure that looks like this one. That's by design, and I'm not just talking about year 1. Most year 1 QB contracts are heavy bonus, light on salary.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am completely convinced Watson is not playing in 2022 and that the Browns now are stuck with a 4 year 229 million dollar contract and I feel no sympathy for them because they knew what they were getting into.
I wish but i doubt it. I have a feeling the suspension will be light considering the situation. 4-8 games. Then Watson will come back , play well, and everyone will move on because people care a lot more about football/ entertainment than sexual assault

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wish but i doubt it. I have a feeling the suspension will be light considering the situation. 4-8 games. Then Watson will come back , play well, and everyone will move on because people care a lot more about football/ entertainment than sexual assault
I think a year is realistic. I think there's a lot of media pressure at the moment, which will fade, and if you just put him on the shelf for a year, people will largely move on and forget. Will also likely give the legal process time to run its course and get closure there.

Plus at that point they can publicly sell it as a "two year" suspension, since he missed all of last year. Was paid for it obviously, but still...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I guess my point is... why is it viewed as "throwing picks away"?. Basically, the only way they wasted those picks, is if the NFL basically goes well and above any suspension they've handed anybody, basically ever, and does something indefinite or for many years. And so far, that doesn't appear to be on the table for anybody who's even discussing it.
Honestly, if they suspended him for 2 years, I'm not sure it's wasting picks. They'll still have a high-end QB on their roster, for three more years, at a prime age.
If we're being objective, it doesn't appear like the trade compensation was a hang up for anybody that wanted him. It was the fact that the Browns gave him a fully guaranteed contract that pushed it over the edge. I have zero doubt that multiple NFL teams would have given up the same. Pretty much anybody who needed a QB and could afford to pay one.

We certainly disagree on the structure. I would have bet a deal that size gets a BIGGER signing bonus from most teams, because they'd want to prorate it longer. $45M on that size isn't a lot. Especially true when they didn't go the typical route of several annual roster bonuses, much like Allen and Mahomes deals are.

I'm saying they did great in structuring that deal that way because a) it allows them to restructure annually and b) it hedges against multi-year suspensions. You'd be hard pressed to find a franchise QB deal structure that looks like this one. That's by design, and I'm not just talking about year 1. Most year 1 QB contracts are heavy bonus, light on salary.
of course a deal that size has a larger signing bonus, but other deals aren't fully guaranteed. FWIW I never had an issue with Cousins fully guaranteed deal. The fully guaranteed contract has never been my issue and I don't think the Browns make the trade if they feel he will be suspended for a year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
of course a deal that size has a larger signing bonus, but other deals aren't fully guaranteed. FWIW I never had an issue with Cousins fully guaranteed deal. The fully guaranteed contract has never been my issue and I don't think the Browns make the trade if they feel he will be suspended for a year.
lol I think they've known he'd be suspended since well before that. One year suspension for a franchise QB who's 26 is a nothing-burger for them. He could easily be playing there another 10+ years.
Minimum they'd expect is like 4-6 games. That's the absolute lowest. Realistically, he was always going to get one of the biggest non-drug suspensions ever.

The reason most people, including Owners and GM's, hated the fully guaranteed contract, is because it's a 5 year fully guaranteed contract. Cousins never got close to that. He never got more than 3 years. NFL GM's know any franchise QB is going to get 3 years of guarantees anyway.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Would you even care if he wasnt in our division?

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would you even care if he wasnt in our division?
I don’t even care now if I’m being honest. No one on here or any fans of the NFL really cares. Let’s be real, Watson will get a suspension no longer than a year, pay off off his accuser, will play again, people will say the socially acceptable stance out loud so everyone knows there in the right side , and then be tuned in for every second of the NFL and all it has to offer.

People can talk all they want about how terrible Watson is and shame the NFL for employing him, but I don’t see any of those folks refraining from buying the product. It’s all nonsense for clout from yas Queen slay generation lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don’t even care now if I’m being honest. No one on here or any fans of the NFL really cares. Let’s be real, Watson will get a suspension no longer than a year, pay off off his accuser, will play again, people will say the socially acceptable stance out loud so everyone knows there in the right side , and then be tuned in for every second of the NFL and all it has to offer.

People can talk all they want about how terrible Watson is and shame the NFL for employing him, but I don’t see any of those folks refraining from buying the product. It’s all nonsense for clout from yas Queen slay generation lol
Yea you care lol…

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Question for you guys: I just read that the Rams have given a massive extension to Cooper Kupp. I believe he deserves it, but how in the fucking world are these guys able to sign Stafford, Donald, and Cupp to 30+M contracts? I know Kupp isn't that much but the 3 easily add up to around 85M. They have a ton of other big-time players too. They're zigging when others including the Ravens are zagging in the way they're managing to field terrific teams. I know it is going to eventually catch up to them, but they've managed to do it for some time now. Any thoughts on why others don't want to replicate their strategy?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Question for you guys: I just read that the Rams have given a massive extension to Cooper Kupp. I believe he deserves it, but how in the fucking world are these guys able to sign Stafford, Donald, and Cupp to 30+M contracts? I know Kupp isn't that much but the 3 easily add up to around 85M. They have a ton of other big-time players too. They're zigging when others including the Ravens are zagging in the way they're managing to field terrific teams. I know it is going to eventually catch up to them, but they've managed to do it for some time now. Any thoughts on why others don't want to replicate their strategy?
Pro-rated signing bonuses, pushing a cap charge to future years.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm sure others do want to replicate. They just don't have the horses to do it, and Rams have a lot of starters and role players that are draft picks.

All depends on the structure of the deals. If teams are assuming the cap is going to skyrocket here in the next few years, are three $30M players really that much on a cap that could be $250M? And realistically, they won't be at the same time. Kupp's cap hits will probably be well under that for at least the next 2-3 years.
By the time Stafford and Kupp get really expensive, Donald will probably be retired, and who knows what happens with Ramsey. Ramsey will be 30 in two years. I'd imagine by 2025 he might not be a Ram at all.

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Yeah as really Kupp's deal will set the tone there long with his QB, Matthew Stafford. If Aaron Donald gets another ring, he may retire there.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
People think it doesnt work… theyve been saying it for for like 5yrs now just waiting for them to start failing so they can say they were right

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would literally anybody care if he wasn't a football player?
I mean, the reason people care and focus on it in general because it's another example of someone rich and famous getting away with stuff that'd destroy other people's lives.

While I'm not gonna pretend that the Ravens are nothing but boyscouts, I probably would stop following the team if we had brought in Watson.

Also just in general I think people enjoy pointing out hypocrisy. The Browns shit on Baker, openly calling him immature and saying they want an adult after he got that sorry franchise to the playoffs, and then replace him with a sexual predator. Even if you don't give a shit about Watson it'll be fun seeing this potentially blow up in their face as the Browns return to being the worst in the division.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
People think it doesnt work… theyve been saying it for for like 5yrs now just waiting for them to start failing so they can say they were right
It's not like the Rams invented this. Ozzie was notorious years ago for doing similar, his failing was consecutive bad choices of players that got extended (some of the choice was on Ozzie but some of it was unforeseen). Steelers have done it a lot, too.
Rams have a great team all around but I think they are starting to push their luck with this latest lot of extensions.

Last edited: