• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
I was a fan of Huntley pre draft and after Lamar’s success I was shocked he went undrafted, I was pretty excited to see we got him. My study of him was minimal at best though, like I stumbled across him with a highlight video and then watched one game, I wasn’t too interested in qb film lol

Mechanics are pretty rough but there’s still a lot to work with there. Just takes a long time to get the ball out. True wind up. I can definitely imagine him being a fun project for a fundamentals based coach and I’m sure Urban would love to work with him for a year.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The crazy thing about Hollywood just absolutely fucking melting Humphrey down the sideline, is that marlon himself is a track star, he’s not far off from 4.4 flat with elite acceleration, and they both hit sprint at the same time, and in a blink Hollywood had 5 yards separation. That is absolutely insane. I’ll square tf up with anyone that tries to tell me Hollywood isn’t the fastest player in the league.
Would you square up with Tyreek?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I find it interesting how many notes I've seen on Tyler Huntley's delivery /mechanics in only 2 practices. Seems everybody is noticing his Byron Leftwich-ish windup. Would be really curious to see what Urban can do with him with a year on the PS after his work with Lamar, because there is a lot of natural talent there.

its going to be a nice camp battle between him and mcsorely but his release on film is noticeably long - he's another florida guy who we might want to encourage to send coach harris's way next offseason to see if he cant help him out (if harris is interested which he might not be)

but unfortunately it is one of the hardest things to fix without breaking down and building up the qb's mechanics from scratch (quite possibly why huntley went undrafted)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mechanics are pretty rough but there’s still a lot to work with there. Just takes a long time to get the ball out. True wind up. I can definitely imagine him being a fun project for a fundamentals based coach and I’m sure Urban would love to work with him for a year.

exactly he's a project with a ceiling as a decent nfl player because he's got some athleticism and some accuracy and some evidence of being able to read the field but that release is so long and comes far away from his body - would be a FF and INT machine with NFL level dbs and edge rushers

Simba

Staff Member
its going to be a nice camp battle between him and mcsorely but his release on film is noticeably long - he's another florida guy who we might want to encourage to send coach harris's way next offseason to see if he cant help him out (if harris is interested which he might not be)

but unfortunately it is one of the hardest things to fix without breaking down and building up the qb's mechanics from scratch (quite possibly why huntley went undrafted)

I always find it interesting when the reporters out there notice things like that. Usually the focus is on accuracy and mobility and things like that, so when they notice a long release and issues mechanically, NFL teams obviously have as well. That 3 or 4 different reporters have noticed it in 2 days is obviously not a good thing, but he should have a year on the PS to work on it I'd guess.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I always find it interesting when the reporters out there notice things like that. Usually the focus is on accuracy and mobility and things like that, so when they notice a long release and issues mechanically, NFL teams obviously have as well. That 3 or 4 different reporters have noticed it in 2 days is obviously not a good thing, but he should have a year on the PS to work on it I'd guess.

i think the reporting has also changed in baltimore generally the last few years - there's some younger beat writers around who have different interests but also the focus on lamar has meant that lots of guys have learnt a lot about mechanics (and those beat writers in the building before this year have had access to private conversations with coaches and im sure most of them will have spoken to james urban a lot about all sorts of things - and if there's one trait that's true across all good coaches it's that they love coaching and imparting their knowledge on others)

so clearly it's a remarkable thing but i reckon it's also something that might not have been noticed as much in the pre-lamar days

it's also probably easier to spot in contrast to lamar's release which is lightning quick with the whippy action he has

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is honestly amazing to see - genuine moment where i cackled with laughter but also look at the way he's taken justin madubuike (and broderick washington) under his wing and the leadership he's already taken on with this locker room

the bit at the end where practice is over and he and Brandon do a sprint to finish and then more guys join them really just emphasises the type of guy he is already

my hope is that he can do for our DL what Eric Weddle did for our DBs during his stay, take a couple of guys under his wing and turn them into professionals who will make significant plays for this team even after he's gone - just like weddle did with clark (and hopefully deshon elliott too among others)

this is one of the best mic'd up segments you could hope for in a training camp production (genuinely more interesting than many actual game mic'd up segments)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Seeing Campbell attack madubuike and yell out WE GOT OURSELVES A FOOTBALL PLAYER is encouraging af.

I said it before I’ll say it again, madubuike has been the most slept on aspect of the ravens this offseason, he fell between the dobbins and duvernay picks and so he isn’t getting shine in draft coverage, and he’s a DT on a team that just added Calais Campbell and derek Wolfe in FA so hes an afterthought in his position group, but madubuike was getting late round 1 hype for a reason.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seeing Campbell attack madubuike and yell out WE GOT OURSELVES A FOOTBALL PLAYER is encouraging af.

I said it before I’ll say it again, madubuike has been the most slept on aspect of the ravens this offseason, he fell between the dobbins and duvernay picks and so he isn’t getting shine in draft coverage, and he’s a DT on a team that just added Calais Campbell and derek Wolfe in FA so hes an afterthought in his position group, but madubuike was getting late round 1 hype for a reason.

ive been pretty excited about ravens drafts the last 3 years because we've picked guys ive loved in every single draft but honestly the last 2 years we've got guys that i have absolutely pounded the table for in a big way as guys who i thought absolutely had to become ravens and there's a reason why madubuike was THE GUY for me in this draft class that i wanted even before we drafted him and it was the same for hollywood the year before

there's a reason why in my first mock i picked him for the ravens with the 28th pick - in my view the ravens got 1st round talents with all 3 of their first picks

i know you and i nearly threw our toys out of the pram when we drafted a RB in round 2 but if you'd switched the order of the picks (madubuike and dobbins) id have been absolutely ecstatic the whole way through lol so maybe EDC really does know more than us...

i was heartbroken when we signed michael brockers because i thought it was a death sentence to my madubuike dreams

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ive been pretty excited about ravens drafts the last 3 years because we've picked guys ive loved in every single draft but honestly the last 2 years we've got guys that i have absolutely pounded the table for in a big way as guys who i thought absolutely had to become ravens and there's a reason why madubuike was THE GUY for me in this draft class that i wanted even before we drafted him and it was the same for hollywood the year before

there's a reason why in my first mock i picked him for the ravens with the 28th pick - in my view the ravens got 1st round talents with all 3 of their first picks

i know you and i nearly threw our toys out of the pram when we drafted a RB in round 2 but if you'd switched the order of the picks (madubuike and dobbins) id have been absolutely ecstatic the whole way through lol so maybe EDC really does know more than us...

i was heartbroken when we signed michael brockers because i thought it was a death sentence to my madubuike dreams
I thought madubuike felt like an obvious Seahawks first round pick, because he’s a guy that had some first round buzz but a largely unknown name for the casual fan, and they kinda needed a DT and it just felt like their kinda pick.

but after more thought... he’s a legit first round talent so maybe he’s more of a ravens third rounder than a Seahawks first... because Seattle drafts 2s in 1 and We draft 1s in 3 lol

Simba

Staff Member

unfortunate for wolf that he had to leave today's practice given he's been doing well by all accounts but it'll leave him behind if he has to miss a decent chunk of time

Still think Scarff will be the guy as long as he doesn't completely screw up somehow before cut day. Just think they'll want the guy with a little more blocking prowess.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Still think Scarff will be the guy as long as he doesn't completely screw up somehow before cut day. Just think they'll want the guy with a little more blocking prowess.

does he actually have pre-existing blocking prowess - in harbs's comments that they've both come a long way as blockers the implication is that neither of them started from that good of a place in that aspect of their game...

but it's also probably important to say that when in camp a coach says a competition is neck and neck between a rookie and a vet, it normally means the rookie is winning...

Simba

Staff Member
does he actually have pre-existing blocking prowess - in harbs's comments that they've both come a long way as blockers the implication is that neither of them started from that good of a place in that aspect of their game...

If I remember correctly, I think it was implied last year that he had the size, strength, and willingness, but needed some technique work.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
speaking of proche - look at the catch at the 20second mark on this clip...

that's nice - and beating jimmy smith too

again it's only camp but proche is making the argument that he shouldnt just be playing on special teams - the other catch he has at the beginning of the video is against earl thomas (although it looks like 1v1s where the WR should win often)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I doubt it happens but good god I’d be elated if Bowser does indeed ball out since it’s a contract year lol. Just more ammunition