• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
speaking of proche - look at the catch at the 20second mark on this clip...

that's nice - and beating jimmy smith too

again it's only camp but proche is making the argument that he shouldnt just be playing on special teams - the other catch he has at the beginning of the video is against earl thomas (although it looks like 1v1s where the WR should win often)

My draft crush this year. I said before I’m more excited for him than Duv (nothing against Duv). Man I hope Channel 3 sees snaps on offense this season

Simba

Staff Member
I've been watching some of Dez's workout videos on social media and he looks pretty slow. Route running has come along more than it ever has but still not clean either. Very curious to hear the result of tomorrow's workout. Still no qualms on giving him a shot but the "highlights" he's posting aren't super impressive.

The guy still can high point a ball with the best of them though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

interesting from cole here - especially when you see campbell beat him with some pass rushes in the mic'd up video - clearly that lateral mirror ability is a weakness in his game that longer/laterally quicker DL will be able to take advantage of

as strong as Fluker's case is, this is the sort of thing that opens the door for Powers or one of the 2 rookies to take advantage

Fluker's clearly the leader in the clubhouse but this is very much still an open competition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've been watching some of Dez's workout videos on social media and he looks pretty slow. Route running has come along more than it ever has but still not clean either. Very curious to hear the result of tomorrow's workout. Still no qualms on giving him a shot but the "highlights" he's posting aren't super impressive.

The guy still can high point a ball with the best of them though.

the speed doesnt have to be special to be effective but it certainly would be an odd fit in this offence to add a guy who's not got a huge amount of speed and burst

i noticed the route running too though - especially on the vids from earlier in the week (not so much the one today) - he's got that veteran nuance to some of those outside routes like stemming inside to create room on the fades/corners etc.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

deshon elliott sighting - he's one of the guys im most excited about this year if he can just stay healthy for 16 games - because that 3rd S brandon carr role is his and he looked great in it in the 1 game he had the opportunity to play that role

especially with earl thomas playing closer to the LoS as a Raven it's so important to have someone who has the range on the back end to make those types of athletic plays and reads - Elliott made one of the rangiest plays of any ravens safety last year (ironically on the play he got injured on) and it will be such a massive boon to this dime defence if he can stay healthy

Simba

Staff Member
@Simba - prompted by your comment i just watched the dez clip today again and i know he said it's just a light workout but those cuts looked slow lol - he's not going to get any separation like that - watch all the hype about dez turn into dwayne harris getting signed after his tryout in stead lol

Yeah maybe I'm crazy but I'm not seeing it now that I've had a chance to sit down and watch for a few minutes... not all that impressed. I know today's clip probably wasn't full speed but even the last few days are questionable. There's definitely some nuance and savvy to some cuts as you mentioned, but that's not going to work against most competent NFL DBs.

Just watched an out route from a few weeks back and he rounded that shit 4 yards upfield on the cut.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah maybe I'm crazy but I'm not seeing it now that I've had a chance to sit down and watch for a few minutes... not all that impressed. I know today's clip probably wasn't full speed but even the last few days are questionable. There's definitely some nuance and savvy to some cuts as you mentioned, but that's not going to work against most competent NFL DBs.

Just watched an out route from a few weeks back and he rounded that shit 4 yards upfield on the cut.

the other thing of course is that the offence we're building is predicated on creating space to get the ball into the hands of speed and dez bryant is the type of receiver who has thrived on making his own space later in the route with few opportunities for YAC

that feels like its maybe not a fit in the jackson offence unless he's a great blocker and ill admit i have a blindspot with regards to dez's blocking because i have no idea how good/bad he is in that aspect of his game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
going back to jeff zrebiec's day 2 breakdown and this passage stood out to me a lot:

• Through two days, I’m still not sure I’ve seen a Ravens defensive back or linebacker stay with tight end Mark Andrews. Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young have drawn the matchup often, but it hasn’t really mattered. Jackson could throw to Andrews on almost every play if he wanted.

andrews is shifty but i wouldnt describe him as fast or quick and yet he's out here smoking corners which suggests his route running nuance is getting to another level (also has glancingly looked like he's in the best shape he's been since coming to baltimore)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
interesting notes from zrebiec's day 3 breakdown:

About a week and a half left before harbs ideally wants to sort the starting 5 OL but ultimately thinks it’s not a disaster if it happens the week after

6 different players have taken snaps at C during team drills and that doesn’t even include skura who hasn’t partaken in team drills yet...

Reporting is restricted but it really sounds like they’re all in on chopping and changing to give everyone a chance

My guess on the 6: mekari, Bozeman, colon-castillo, powers, bredeson and pollard

Eli wolf had 3 catches in a 5 play span before his injury in wednesdays practice...

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
@Simba - prompted by your comment i just watched the dez clip today again and i know he said it's just a light workout but those cuts looked slow lol - he's not going to get any separation like that - watch all the hype about dez turn into dwayne harris getting signed after his tryout in stead lol

It's possible that Dwayne Harris may get sign instead but signing an accomplish receiver like Dez Bryant may be more beneficial regardless how slow he may look in his workout videos. There is no preseason this year so The Ravens coaches can't test their young receivers against other players in a live game. All their evaluation of players have to start with training camp and lets me honest here a guy like Myles Boykins looked like a star last year in training camp but didn't in preseason.

He didn't beat out Seth Roberts either and that's not me saying he didn't flash or show potential last year because he definitely did. I just think it's smarter to add more competition to the wide receiver group especially if a veteran receiver that's accomplished like Dez Bryant is added. The move would either bring out the best of The Ravens young receivers or Dez Bryant just gonna simply make the team come week 1. it just doesn't make any sense for The Ravens to not add more competition to the group and Dwayne Harris ain't it.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dez Bryant be liking and retweeting old 2018 tweets about the ravens. At this point, be kind of embarrassing if we don’t sign him tomorrow.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

more promising signs - albeit you rarely hear about players having bad training camps...

i mean im ok if it happens again - Ravens OLB in a contract year putting up numbers because it finally clicked would be fine by me

Bowser has been my sneaky breakout guy this whole offseason. I’m not banking on him breaking out like I am with Hollywood and I don’t think his leap can be anything close to that, but in the games I’ve went back and watched bowser just jumped off the tape what seems like every game, he looks like he’s so close to really putting it together and I think he will this year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
going back to jeff zrebiec's day 2 breakdown and this passage stood out to me a lot:

• Through two days, I’m still not sure I’ve seen a Ravens defensive back or linebacker stay with tight end Mark Andrews. Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young have drawn the matchup often, but it hasn’t really mattered. Jackson could throw to Andrews on almost every play if he wanted.

andrews is shifty but i wouldnt describe him as fast or quick and yet he's out here smoking corners which suggests his route running nuance is getting to another level (also has glancingly looked like he's in the best shape he's been since coming to baltimore)
Mark andrews is one of the craftiest and most natural separators I’ve ever seen. He’s so damn smart, athletically he’s not even doing anything special, like even the breaks themselves are average, but he’s so damn savvy that he just makes separation look effortless, it also doesn’t hurt that he’s such an elite catcher that it only takes a half yard for him to essentially be wide open

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Dez Bryant be liking and retweeting old 2018 tweets about the ravens. At this point, be kind of embarrassing if we don’t sign him tomorrow.
Sucks for him then if we don't sign him. Should've jumped on the opportunity when we offered him a contract in 2018.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know campbell is great but got dam everytime i read, he is killing our iOL lol..
Nobody else is though, which is the good news, Campbell is just a force of nature, too many folks have been overly cautious about the excitement around Campbell because “he’s old you’re not getting game wrecker Campbell anymore” as if he wasn’t a game wrecker just this last season.