• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

I remember I was driving long distance when the Maclin signing was due to happen. Kept pulling over every 30 mins and was ecstatic when it was announced.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yup, not to mention how we pretty much had no one at that point, and with how he fell to us late in the off season after we struck out on everyone else. We had to be excited lol

Maclin and Crabtree were let downs, but at least Crabtree seemed to care and put more effort into things than Maclin did.
Crabtree had his moments though, the real shame to me was how hard John brown fell off when Lamar stepped in.

Simba

Staff Member
If we can take solace in one thing if we do sign Dez, it's not going to a multi-year, multi-million kind of deal. That's what really hurt with Maclin and Crabtree and the likes of those guys - larger commitments for them to suck and then we had to eat money on the cap. Dez is going to be so close to the minimum at this point. If it doesn't work out, you can move on much easier.

Maclin in particular was a guy that stuck around solely for cap implications. If that guy was on a 1 year deal, he'd have been cut with the effort he showed here.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can take solace in one thing if we do sign Dez, it's not going to a multi-year, multi-million kind of deal. That's what really hurt with Maclin and Crabtree and the likes of those guys - larger commitments for them to suck and then we had to eat money on the cap. Dez is going to be so close to the minimum at this point. If it doesn't work out, you can move on much easier.

Maclin in particular was a guy that stuck around solely for cap implications. If that guy was on a 1 year deal, he'd have been cut with the effort he showed here.
Maclin was only here for one year. He signed a 2 year deal I believe, but was cut after one year. He got $6M for 2017 then was gone after that.

I agree that Dez will be dirt cheap. Like probably less than $2M for just this year. But that's kind of the point. These examples of veteran FA's who have come in and performed well all got multi-year deals for a lot more money than that.

This is basically a "flier" signing. Signing Dez is sort of the equivalent of signing like Shane Ray or Pernell McPhee. It costs you pretty close to the minimum you'd pay for any player, and if they don't cut it in the preseason or don't contribute much, you move on.

Simba

Staff Member
Maclin was only here for one year. He signed a 2 year deal I believe, but was cut after one year. He got $6M for 2017 then was gone after that.

I agree that Dez will be dirt cheap. Like probably less than $2M for just this year. But that's kind of the point. These examples of veteran FA's who have come in and performed well all got multi-year deals for a lot more money than that.

This is basically a "flier" signing. Signing Dez is sort of the equivalent of signing like Shane Ray or Pernell McPhee. It costs you pretty close to the minimum you'd pay for any player, and if they don't cut it in the preseason or don't contribute much, you move on.

That's what I was getting at. Each was only here for 1 year but the cap implications behind their multi-year deals is what kept them around. If Maclin in particular was around at the veteran minimum for his 1 year here, I doubt he would have lasted the season because the effort from him was putrid. Saved by the "big" salary.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
“ lots of qbs are playing because of where they come from or their connection”... wtf is marcus peters talking about lol..he sound crazy

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there's going to be no guarantees on a dez contract and likely very little value at the top end of it either

Simba

Staff Member
there's going to be no guarantees on a dez contract and likely very little value at the top end of it either

For reference, he signed a 1 year, $1.25M base deal with the Saints back in 2018, with an additional $500K in incentives available. And since he signed midseason, he only got the proration of that $1.25M base salary.

His base salary if he were to sign now would likely qualify for the veteran salary benefit and any incentives thrown in would be NLTBE.

So basically, no cap impact unless he hits those incentives which means he played well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

holy shit hollywood - not sure marlon could have played that better + marlon with his track speed had literally no chance to recover and hollywood even had to slow down slightly at the end

you can see that hollywood's been working on his releases all offseason because marlon tried to get hands on him and was hardly even able to touch him

in an offseason of exciting clips, this is the most exciting one ive seen so far

JAAM

Hall of Famer

holy shit hollywood - not sure marlon could have played that better + marlon with his track speed had literally no chance to recover and hollywood even had to slow down slightly at the end

you can see that hollywood's been working on his releases all offseason because marlon tried to get hands on him and was hardly even able to touch him

in an offseason of exciting clips, this is the most exciting one ive seen so far

Oh my goodness. Those feet look like AB’s, and he did that against a top 5 Corner. Man I hope Hollywood absolutely balls out this season. What a luxury it is for our offense to go up against a top 5 defense in practice.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Tbh, looks like only thing that helped brown here was his speed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tbh, looks like only thing that helped brown here was his speed.

last year in that situation marlon would have got hands into marquise's chest and he would have been in control this year that's not the case

still work to do on getting that release nice and clean but it's not a negative that brown's speed is so mind-blowing that he just destroyed a track-type athlete who's also a top 5 cb

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it's interesting that im seeing a lot of Justice Hill especially in passing situations with Lamar and it may be that that's just when the camera's been turned on and its coincidence but he played a lot in the playoff loss (partly because of ingram being down but also because he offers so much open field speed)

and watching the training camp live he looks to have learnt a lot about route running - the 1v1 i saw was really exciting - just the way he ran the route was cool to see and the cut and the catch at the end were really good signs for someone who didnt catch a lot of balls in college but who's athletic skillset lends itself to that

JAAM

Hall of Famer
How was Dez as a blocker in Dallas, above average right?