• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Really curious to see how the OL shapes up this year, especially as far as the backups go. With the new 8 OL active rule, I'd be shocked if we don't keep 9 on the roster all year. We pretty much know our starting 5 except for Skura's health.

If he's healthy, the backups are seemingly Mekari, Phillips, Bredeson, and Powers. But that's heavy on the interior and really provides no T depth as I haven't seen anything about Phillips kicking outside yet.

Can Will Holden unseat one of our draft pick investments solely on the basis of providing T depth? That's what I'm most curious to see. I don't think he's a quality player by any stretch but we have horrible T depth and he seems like the most viable option on the roster currently. I'd imagine we're scouring for other T possibilities around the league.

Parker Ehinger is probably a guy we identified for the PS that can play a few different spots when/if injuries hit.

I think we'd be talking a lot more about Colon-Castillo if we weren't stacked in the interior already. He reminds me of Nick Easton a few years back - a guy that probably belongs in the league but is hurt by a numbers game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor trade if some other team rates TCC highly.

I think Sean Pollard is probably the only guy that has absolutely 0 shot at the roster off the bat. Looks like he's been playing some T in camp based on pictures, so he could be a PS addition as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it's funny watching lamar in the training camp live stuff and sometimes i reflexively worry about bad habits because he's not just practicing his normal improved mechanics he's also practicing different arm angles, throwing off his back foot, throwing on the move - all useful pocket stuff but i still feel like i did last year when id see a non-structured mechanic

but what's interesting about it is that some of these are happening in drills designed to muddy the mechanics like one where they have them flushed out of a murky pocket to the right and then dont have space to set a really wide base

just found it interesting

rossihunter2

Staff Member

not good to see this - chuck is clearly integral to the defence but also is notably a very evenly tempered guy and well-liked in the locker room - for him to be wanting to get into it with his safety partner is a bit worrying

at least there's this from LJ Fort

but i had also seen this:

but take it with a grain of salt because it seems to have come from JLC

rossihunter2

Staff Member

interesting that chris moore's role under threat - he's the best gunner on the team which is the role that jaleel plays on special teams (when he plays on special teams) so if jaleel does impress in that facet then he would be the biggest threat to moore both as WR6 but also as a gunner and general special teams player

Simba

Staff Member
t
so clearly clark and thomas bust up was a big deal...

Not a good look there at all. Gotta wonder if they’re also looking into that context language at this point to see if there’s any possibility of getting out of his deal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
t

Not a good look there at all. Gotta wonder if they’re also looking into that context language at this point to see if there’s any possibility of getting out of his deal.

if they werent looking hard enough before, they're definitely looking at it now
he's played pretty well on the field as a raven but clearly not well enough that management arent having second (or third) thoughts

Simba

Staff Member
if they werent looking hard enough before, they're definitely looking at it now
he's played pretty well on the field as a raven but clearly not well enough that management arent having second (or third) thoughts

Yep it’s not a talent issue. He took some shit for his play but he was still solid last year.

But if the personal stuff is wearing thin not only on the FO but his teammates as well... not good for him. Just have to wonder if they can paint this as conduct detrimental.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep it’s not a talent issue. He took some shit for his play but he was still solid last year.

But if the personal stuff is wearing thin not only on the FO but his teammates as well... not good for him. Just have to wonder if they can paint this as conduct detrimental.

they might be able to - he's not good enough in a talented secondary to get away with being disliked by his teammates and you know the DBs are gonna rally around chuck over earl if it comes to it so earl's got a lot of work to do

trying to spot if he's on the field

Simba

Staff Member
they might be able to - he's not good enough in a talented secondary to get away with being disliked by his teammates and you know the DBs are gonna rally around chuck over earl if it comes to it so earl's got a lot of work to do

trying to spot if he's on the field

Reports are that he is not expected to be out there today.

Simba

Staff Member
Still JLC, so take it with a grain of salt...

Leadership council spoke again Earl and the team is reviewing the conduct detrimental clause. Says it could be resolved today

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Still JLC, so take it with a grain of salt...

Leadership council spoke again Earl and the team is reviewing the conduct detrimental clause. Says it could be resolved today

Are you saying to cut him and not have huge dead money?

Simba

Staff Member
Are you saying to cut him and not have huge dead money?

Yep basically. If they had been considering this awhile, you know they’ve been documenting anything and everything that could be construed as detrimental - lateness and things like that. I’m sure throwing a punch at your teammate on the same side of the ball can be considered detrimental. They’ve got their lawyers and top dogs reviewing to see if they have enough to get out of it without serious consequence.