• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Yep basically. If they had been considering this awhile, you know they’ve been documenting anything and everything that could be construed as detrimental - lateness and things like that. I’m sure throwing a punch at your teammate on the same side of the ball can be considered detrimental. They’ve got their lawyers and top dogs reviewing to see if they have enough to get out of it without serious consequence.

Makes sense. The question for me is do they think the positivity of removing that attitude will outweigh the play on the field? I'd be pretty nervous at safety to have Elliot be the starter and expected to play the whole year. Especially when is backup is a rookie without a preseason. I guess what I'm saying is he seems kind of untouchable to me given the circumstances unless he's really really really being bad.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Makes sense. The question for me is do they think the positivity of removing that attitude will outweigh the play on the field? I'd be pretty nervous at safety to have Elliot be the starter and expected to play the whole year. Especially when is backup is a rookie without a preseason. I guess what I'm saying is he seems kind of untouchable to me given the circumstances unless he's really really really being bad.

i think the ravens are pretty happy with what they have at safety to be able to deal with the loss
it may also be that they're looking to void the guarantees in the contract - earl still gets to play but we have the ability within the cap to get rid of him if something happens again (or if we could find a trade partner or something idk)

honestly really not sure how this would all work

Simba

Staff Member

I'm sure that's what they're weighing. He's good on the field but how much will he affect the chemistry at this point? Are his actions irreparable? You can have all of the talent in the world but if you freelance and put your teammates at risk, that talent doesn't matter anymore.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm sure that's what they're weighing. He's good on the field but how much will he affect the chemistry at this point? Are his actions irreparable? You can have all of the talent in the world but if you freelance and put your teammates at risk, that talent doesn't matter anymore.

i dont know that i saw him freelancing a lot last year but its clear that they feel like he's replaceable within our defensive scheme and the way we use safeties

he's got unreal instincts on the back end as a deep free safety but that's only a small part of safety play in the ravens system and is he irreplaceable in those other parts of the game?

there's also as you say the chemistry - if the guys around him dont like him then we're far more likely to lose that backend synergy which is crucial

Simba

Staff Member
i dont know that i saw him freelancing a lot last year but its clear that they feel like he's replaceable within our defensive scheme and the way we use safeties

he's got unreal instincts on the back end as a deep free safety but that's only a small part of safety play in the ravens system and is he irreplaceable in those other parts of the game?

there's also as you say the chemistry - if the guys around him dont like him then we're far more likely to lose that backend synergy which is crucial

To be fair regarding freelancing, I'm just referencing the reports that have come out since the fight in that teammates feel he freelances. I also didn't see it but that's also a JLC report so who really knows.

Regardless, just another strike on his record. Maybe it ends in him being cut or maybe he gets a nice little suspension and puts another strike there that could make it easier if there's another incident. Just a shitty situation.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To be fair regarding freelancing, I'm just referencing the reports that have come out since the fight in that teammates feel he freelances. I also didn't see it but that's also a JLC report so who really knows.

Regardless, just another strike on his record. Maybe it ends in him being cut or maybe he gets a nice little suspension and puts another strike there that could make it easier if there's another incident. Just a shitty situation.

yeah idk what to think given its JLC reporting but ill say that ive been excited about the prospect of deshon elliott playing major snaps on this defence for over a year now and this only adds fuel to that fire lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The clock isnt right for Ty Huntley yet - got some potential but clearly still without preseason games or any live fire hasn't got the timing of the NFL down, still seems to be working on college time

seeing a lot of hitches and obviously has that long release - the long release is a long-term project i think but the hitching and taking too much time will have to improve somehow without the help of preseason games - might also speed up naturally as he gets more confident with the cadence and timing of his receivers and more comfortable with the playbook

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think the ravens are pretty happy with what they have at safety to be able to deal with the loss
it may also be that they're looking to void the guarantees in the contract - earl still gets to play but we have the ability within the cap to get rid of him if something happens again (or if we could find a trade partner or something idk)

honestly really not sure how this would all work

I mean voiding the guarantees in the contract is something that I somehow doubt would stand up to an appeal considering that TC fights happen all the time, even on the Ravens, and nothing of the sort is done.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean voiding the guarantees in the contract is something that I somehow doubt would stand up to an appeal considering that TC fights happen all the time, even on the Ravens, and nothing of the sort is done.

It depends on how much they've been documenting. If the continued issues that have been surfaced (again, by JLC, so grain of salt) have been captured, they could have a case. When you have Zrebiec saying patience is wearing thin, you'd have to believe that they have been documenting everything and that could be the case more than just this 1 incident.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think it's possible with the money owed and following the punch, but one way to get out of Earl's contract the easiest is via trade. Because his base salary is guaranteed this year, the team taking him on via trade would owe him that and we'd be off the hook. We'd still have the bonus money ($15M - $5M this year and $10M next year) as dead cap but it would be the easiest way without going through the voiding of guarantees.

The big catch would be finding a team willing to guarantee him $10M at this point which would be the tough sell. But if you find a team that doesn't care (Hi Jerry Jones) you could say "give me anything" and it could alleviate all of the biggest cap concerns.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
It depends on how much they've been documenting. If the continued issues that have been surfaced (again, by JLC, so grain of salt) have been captured, they could have a case. When you have Zrebiec saying patience is wearing thin, you'd have to believe that they have been documenting everything and that could be the case more than just this 1 incident.

Except they cannot really count the thing with his wife against him as he technically did not break a single law or did anything remotely close to it and if we are going to start counting players having affairs as conduct detrimental to the team than that also is going to cause a LOT of guarantees to be removed in a hurry.

Basically the only thing they seem to have is a training camp fight and that they do not like his free roaming playstyle, but a FA signing not playing how you want is not really grounds to void the guarantees in his contract.

Simba

Staff Member
Except they cannot really count the thing with his wife against him as he technically did not break a single law or did anything remotely close to it and if we are going to start counting players having affairs as conduct detrimental to the team than that also is going to cause a LOT of guarantees to be removed in a hurry.

Basically the only thing they seem to have is a training camp fight and that they do not like his free roaming playstyle, but a FA signing not playing how you want is not really grounds to void the guarantees in his contract.

Well, if the truancy report from JLC is true, that's grounds right there. That's the easiest thing to throw at the wall and many teams have done so and it has worked. That's how the Colts got out of the Trent Richardson fiasco - he missed a walkthrough and voided the guarantees. If they reviewed it for the wife thing (and I agree, nothing substantial there as far as conduct detrimental), you've got to believe they're documenting every little thing that could possibly be construed as such.

That's my point. The fight is 1 thing but if the rest of the stuff is true, they have a track record because I can guarantee they weren't letting it slide if the displeasure is true.

Simba

Staff Member
Well this is funny regardless. Something positive out of a Jets association for once.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, if the truancy report from JLC is true, that's grounds right there. That's the easiest thing to throw at the wall and many teams have done so and it has worked. That's how the Colts got out of the Trent Richardson fiasco - he missed a walkthrough and voided the guarantees. If they reviewed it for the wife thing (and I agree, nothing substantial there as far as conduct detrimental), you've got to believe they're documenting every little thing that could possibly be construed as such.

That's my point. The fight is 1 thing but if the rest of the stuff is true, they have a track record because I can guarantee they weren't letting it slide if the displeasure is true.
It's not only JLC. I also saw other reports, but I don't know if their reports are based on JLC's.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Lamar isn’t practicing today

JAAM

Hall of Famer
lamar and marcus peters not at practice today - something to monitor...

although apparently lamar came out slightly late yesterday

also possible they're starting vet days off but dont want to speculate
Oops didn’t see this. Hopefully we’ll get word on Lamar and MP immediately after practice is done. Perhaps personal reasons? No reports on either of them after the last practice

Simba

Staff Member
Oops didn’t see this. Hopefully we’ll get word on Lamar and MP immediately after practice is done. Perhaps personal reasons? No reports on either of them after the last practice

It’s crazy how Earl has overshadowed the fact that the mvp missed practice today.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Just a rest day for Lamar, per Zrebiec