• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Good lord Dobbins looks like a WR out there with some of those catches

rossihunter2

Staff Member
derek wolfe with maybe one of the most telling comments with regards to ET (and it wasnt even directly about ET or anything)

he was talking about how great its been with bwill and calais and being able to get on with them and enjoy your time with them but also have that trust with them both as people but also to do their job on the field

it stuck out to me the way he spoke about those things given the earl situation

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
Because I mentioned him yesterday and this is the first mention I've seen of him entirely, here's the Broderick Washington update...

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
not a good sign for someone wanting to make it on the 53 to be basically unnoticed and forgotten about lol

It's funny that when you search him on Twitter, the only time he's been mentioned prior to today is that he was selected with the Vedvik pick lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
watching dobbins against wisconsin he gets beaten up in pass pro but what's crucial i think is that he's getting beaten up picking the right guy to block - the hardest thing in pass pro as a RB is working out who to block and dobbins was consistently doing that - the problem against wisconsin is that he was often beaten like a drum partly because he would sometimes hesitate (i think maybe 2nd guessing whether he picked right or not) or he would engage and then allow the defender to get hands inside

so much of pass pro as a RB is about picking the right guy and surviving for long enough by being more aggressive than the other guy and part of that is about attacking with momentum because if you dont move forwards into the block you're likely engaging with the defender basically in the QB's lap already

and that would be where i think JK needs to improve the most in terms of his pass blocking - be more aggressive getting to the contact point and keep working once you engage - it was encouraging a couple of practices ago to see the 1v1 pass pro drills and seeing JK hold up pretty well against Queen and then one of the udfas too

Simba

Staff Member
Interesting question that I've been thinking about... do we even carry 3 TEs? It sounds like Ricard's role is pretty much strictly offense at this point and they've talked up his inline blocking. Is it too far our of the question that we stack up the PS in case the need arises? I like Scarff and Wolf but I don't have much question that the team can survive without one of them if Ricard steps up to the plate.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
True, but just goes to my point about challenges of roster construction and how its not wise to pigeon hole yourself into thinking "we need X number of players for each group".

My best example is Kenjon Barner. If he makes the team as a kick returner, that's a 6th RB (including Ricard). I bet you won't find any other team in the league carrying 6 RBs. Where is that roster spot coming from? If I just pull from Simba's mock roster, conceding its not 100% accurate obviously, its hard to find. Doesn't appear it'll be from the offensive side of the ball, as we're pretty light there already, unless we opt to only keep 8 Olineman.

So one would think it would be from the defensive side of the ball, with the Secondary having the largest group.
If barner makes it, i think moore is def gone... i forgot he is a great gunner so nvm

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting question that I've been thinking about... do we even carry 3 TEs? It sounds like Ricard's role is pretty much strictly offense at this point and they've talked up his inline blocking. Is it too far our of the question that we stack up the PS in case the need arises? I like Scarff and Wolf but I don't have much question that the team can survive without one of them if Ricard steps up to the plate.

on those lines, they've been talking also about expanding ricard's role as you say with the in-line blocking and he always seems to be around the TE group - he's obviously not the dynamic receiving threat that hayden hurst was nor is he as athletic generally but he's certainly a factor at that position i suppose

it still feels light to not even have a 3rd on the roster and if i remember correctly harbs seemed to pretty clearly indicate there was a battle for that 3rd TE spot between Wolf and Scarff as if it's guaranteed that the 3rd TE spot exists

it's something ive thought about but i dont think it'll happen

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we carry 3 TEs because of special teams. They usually play on the ends and i don't see anyone else on the roster who could do it

Simba

Staff Member
on those lines, they've been talking also about expanding ricard's role as you say with the in-line blocking and he always seems to be around the TE group - he's obviously not the dynamic receiving threat that hayden hurst was nor is he as athletic generally but he's certainly a factor at that position i suppose

it still feels light to not even have a 3rd on the roster and if i remember correctly harbs seemed to pretty clearly indicate there was a battle for that 3rd TE spot between Wolf and Scarff as if it's guaranteed that the 3rd TE spot exists

it's something ive thought about but i dont think it'll happen

Just food for thought. I'm of the opinion that they'll keep a TE3 but I wouldn't call it a certainty. Just... are you really going to miss Scarff or Wolf on your 53 when both will likely be on the PS and available if you need them? Are they going to get enough snaps to make it worth it? How comfortable are you taking the risk that if someone gets hurt, you have to make it through with a 300 lb guy at TE for the rest of a game? If you carry and activate 6 WRs, do you have room to activate a TE3 along with the 4 RBs and Ricard?

Simba

Staff Member
I think we carry 3 TEs because of special teams. They usually play on the ends and i don't see anyone else on the roster who could do it

Just to play devil's advocate, we'll also have an extra active OL that we typically wouldn't that could fill that role. Also believe we use some DL there as well - I think Wormley was the guy last year though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just food for thought. I'm of the opinion that they'll keep a TE3 but I wouldn't call it a certainty. Just... are you really going to miss Scarff or Wolf on your 53 when both will likely be on the PS and available if you need them? Are they going to get enough snaps to make it worth it? How comfortable are you taking the risk that if someone gets hurt, you have to make it through with a 300 lb guy at TE for the rest of a game? If you carry and activate 6 WRs, do you have room to activate a TE3 along with the 4 RBs and Ricard?

these are the questions you have when your roster is stacked and the coaches care a lot about special teams

Simba

Staff Member
these are the questions you have when your roster is stacked and the coaches care a lot about special teams

I'll tell you - I'm glad that arguably the biggest debate we have is a TE3. We've been in much worse situations. Hell, just last year I think we were wondering if we even had 5 WRs worth making the roster. Michael Floyd vs. Seth Roberts was a debate that some were having.