• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

I think we are set at WR, in fact I think it will be considered a strength by the end of the year. Never felt that way before. Feels weird man.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just food for thought. I'm of the opinion that they'll keep a TE3 but I wouldn't call it a certainty. Just... are you really going to miss Scarff or Wolf on your 53 when both will likely be on the PS and available if you need them? Are they going to get enough snaps to make it worth it? How comfortable are you taking the risk that if someone gets hurt, you have to make it through with a 300 lb guy at TE for the rest of a game? If you carry and activate 6 WRs, do you have room to activate a TE3 along with the 4 RBs and Ricard?
1. I think you carry three TEs and also activate three, mostly because any in-game injury pretty much kills a big chunk of your playbook. Injury to Boyle is a massive downgrade to our rushing attack and makes Andrews essentially an every-down player. An injury to Andrews forces Boyle into an every-down player, or eliminates the TE from our passing game.
2. I don't see the need to have 4 RBs (excluding Ricard) active on gameday. I would expect one of either Hill or Edwards (likely the former) as inactive on gamedays. Only way I see them all being active is if Hill is sort of the defacto kick returner, which is a job I don't think he wins.
3. You won't activate 9 Olineman. It'll be 8.

Sort of all comes back to ST, because that's where you depth is being activated.

Keep in mind that, assuming you activate 8 Olineman, there's only 5 players from the active roster that would need to be inactive on gameday. Technically, you can go from 53 to 55 by adding two PS players on gameday, but I'm just assuming neither of those guys would be active unless there were injuries.

So if I were to just take your roster you submitted earlier, which actually has 54, here are the easy inactives on gameday I see:
1. 3rd QB.
2. 9th Olineman
3. 6th Dlineman
4. Either 1 or maybe 2 of the Safeties (only see a max of 4 being active)

So that gets you to 50 right there. Would only need to inactivate two more. As I said above, I don't see the need for 4 RBs (excluding Ricard) on gameday, so that would be one for me.

My guess at that point is you'd take the 4th safety or maybe the 6th WR. If Proche/Duvernay doesn't win a kick returner job, whoever is lowest on the depth chart may be inactive on gameday.

This is obviously assuming that a) your roster distribution is correct and b) no injuries, which of course there will be, and that will make the cutdown somewhat easier.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just food for thought. I'm of the opinion that they'll keep a TE3 but I wouldn't call it a certainty. Just... are you really going to miss Scarff or Wolf on your 53 when both will likely be on the PS and available if you need them? Are they going to get enough snaps to make it worth it? How comfortable are you taking the risk that if someone gets hurt, you have to make it through with a 300 lb guy at TE for the rest of a game? If you carry and activate 6 WRs, do you have room to activate a TE3 along with the 4 RBs and Ricard?
Also, saw a mock 53 out there on NBC Sports from Andrew Gillis.

Only differences he has from yours is:
1. Huntley over McSorley as the QB3
2. Holden over Powers for the 9th Olineman spot.
3. 5 Dlineman only, with Ellis being the odd man out.
4. 5 Safeties (you had this) with Stone and Warrior both making the team.

So very similar roster construction and names, with the cut from 54 to 53 coming on the Dline, which makes plenty of sense in my eyes.

One notable comment he made is the decision to cut Ellis would only leave you with BWill as the only "true" NT on the roster. I suppose they would try Madubuike or Washington in that spot if BWill were to be injured, or promote from PS (assuming like Ellis makes it back) for that spot.

Simba

Staff Member
Also, saw a mock 53 out there on NBC Sports from Andrew Gillis.

Only differences he has from yours is:
1. Huntley over McSorley as the QB3
2. Holden over Powers for the 9th Olineman spot.
3. 5 Dlineman only, with Ellis being the odd man out.
4. 5 Safeties (you had this) with Stone and Warrior both making the team.

So very similar roster construction and names, with the cut from 54 to 53 coming on the Dline, which makes plenty of sense in my eyes.

One notable comment he made is the decision to cut Ellis would only leave you with BWill as the only "true" NT on the roster. I suppose they would try Madubuike or Washington in that spot if BWill were to be injured, or promote from PS (assuming like Ellis makes it back) for that spot.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.

1. No arguments from me on Huntley over McSorley except Huntley's delivery is still super ugly
2. If you ask me again in 2 days, there's a high likelihood that I probably would have Holden over Powers
3. Skipping for now
4. I have no doubts that there will be 5 S's but have a hard time believing it's Warrior over Richards, for ST reasons

To go back to 3 and your last point, that's almost what I'm expecting at this juncture but I think it's Washington who might in trouble, not Ellis. Seems to be almost Daylon Mack-like. I don't know why, but it just seems like Washington is another type of guy that would sit on the roster all year with no intentions of actually playing him. If you got to the point that Washington had to play, I'd think you're looking outside of the organization again. Would you rather keep Ellis who clearly would have a role if injuries were to hit? That's the way I'm leaning.

I know Washington is a draft pick so that always bodes well in his favor, but he is just constantly the one I go back to when I'm trying to find a way to get down from 54.

I also know I'm not likely to be right and there will be surprises, but in my mind, Washington has an uphill battle. His saving grace might be that he and Madubuike would be the only guys under 30 and under contract at the end of the season. But if he doesn't have the talent (and it sounds like he's done a whole bunch of nothing so far)...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. No arguments from me on Huntley over McSorley except Huntley's delivery is still super ugly
2. If you ask me again in 2 days, there's a high likelihood that I probably would have Holden over Powers
3. Skipping for now
4. I have no doubts that there will be 5 S's but have a hard time believing it's Warrior over Richards, for ST reasons

To go back to 3 and your last point, that's almost what I'm expecting at this juncture but I think it's Washington who might in trouble, not Ellis. Seems to be almost Daylon Mack-like. I don't know why, but it just seems like Washington is another type of guy that would sit on the roster all year with no intentions of actually playing him. If you got to the point that Washington had to play, I'd think you're looking outside of the organization again. Would you rather keep Ellis who clearly would have a role if injuries were to hit? That's the way I'm leaning.

I know Washington is a draft pick so that always bodes well in his favor, but he is just constantly the one I go back to when I'm trying to find a way to get down from 54.

I also know I'm not likely to be right and there will be surprises, but in my mind, Washington has an uphill battle. His saving grace might be that he and Madubuike would be the only guys under 30 and under contract at the end of the season. But if he doesn't have the talent (and it sounds like he's done a whole bunch of nothing so far)...
Would generally say a 5th round pick in his rookie year is going to make the squad, so I think they'll go that route, even if he's not the more impressive player in camp. They cut Robert Myers back in 2015 prior to his rookie season, but it's been very rare in the Harbaugh era that they've got guys taken in the 5th round or earlier in their first season get cut (for football performance issues).

You have to start looking at 6th or 7th rounders usually for that. I have no doubt the Ravens would love to stash him on the PS for the year, but obviously they have to cut him first, and I don't think they'd expect to get him back.

Simba

Staff Member
Would generally say a 5th round pick in his rookie year is going to make the squad, so I think they'll go that route, even if he's not the more impressive player in camp. They cut Robert Myers back in 2015 prior to his rookie season, but it's been very rare in the Harbaugh era that they've got guys taken in the 5th round or earlier in their first season get cut (for football performance issues).

You have to start looking at 6th or 7th rounders usually for that. I have no doubt the Ravens would love to stash him on the PS for the year, but obviously they have to cut him first, and I don't think they'd expect to get him back.

I'm fully aware it's not the norm and that's the biggest reason I struggle with the idea that they actually would cut him. But at the same time, DeCosta clearly doesn't give near as much of a shit about draft status as Ozzie. If you can't play, you're out. I know it's 1 year later so it's not an exactly similar scenario, but our 2019 5th round pick is already out and it looks like Powers as a 4th could potentially be joining him. Lasley was out after 1 year, and although a really different scenario, Kenny Young was also jettisoned and it looks like he's questionable to make the team in LA as well. Would imagine if he was still here, he would also be questionable because they clearly had no trust in him last year prior to trading him.

It at least bears watching and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if they cut him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm fully aware it's not the norm and that's the biggest reason I struggle with the idea that they actually would cut him. But at the same time, DeCosta clearly doesn't give near as much of a shit about draft status as Ozzie. If you can't play, you're out. I know it's 1 year later so it's not an exactly similar scenario, but our 2019 5th round pick is already out and it looks like Powers as a 4th could potentially be joining him. Lasley was out after 1 year, and although a really different scenario, Kenny Young was also jettisoned and it looks like he's questionable to make the team in LA as well. Would imagine if he was still here, he would also be questionable because they clearly had no trust in him last year prior to trading him.

It at least bears watching and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if they cut him.
May even be harder to justify this year with no preseason games, as the only looks you're getting is in more watered-down practices. Not even getting joint practices with other teams at this point, which is unfortunate.

If they think they'll be able to bring him back to the PS, I think they'll try to do so. Otherwise, I think he makes the team. I think its sort of hair splitting because a) I don't expect either to suit up on gameday very often and b) I don't view either player as anything more than depth that you would prefer they see very little of the field anyway.

I agree DeCosta is moving on from draft picks sooner, but pretty much all of them, with the exception of very late rounders, are getting a full season before doing so. If they get a look at you for a full year and/or you're injured, and then you struggle in camp the following year, I think they'll move on from a lot of players in that regard. Powers is a great example... he'll have had a full offseason last year and all year to make a statement that he should be the starting LG, couldn't accomplish that, and he'll have had all this offseason to distance himself from rookies or veteran castoffs, and he can't do that either. The opportunities were there.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

3. Skipping for now

This means you have both Richards and Levine making it? I'm not sure how I feel about having both on the 53, seems like a wasted spot. Last year Levine wasn't used as much as in the years before and he looked like he had lost a step. And he isn't really a FS or a SS. As of now I have 47 - barring any injuries. Skura might start on PUP to create some flexibility if he's not 100% ready.
Bubble: 3rd TE, Powers, Holden, Colon-Castillo, Washington, Ellis, Board, Alaka, Adeoye, Warrior, Richards, Levine, Nurse and Dorsey.
The Washington pick felt weird when we drafted him, to me he's UDFA material. Wasted draft pick. You can always find UDFA LBs and iDLs. I mean as a draft pick you should flash or have at least one day where you dominate rookie OLs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like we are always gonna be a run heavy team. Not to mention we have brown and andrews..being the 3rd option on a run heavy team may makes things hard for him to showcase everything

i mean there's still a lot of targets to go around - it's not like every single throw is going to those first 2 guys - if he gets open consistently then lamar will find him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2. I don't see the need to have 4 RBs (excluding Ricard) active on gameday. I would expect one of either Hill or Edwards (likely the former) as inactive on gamedays. Only way I see them all being active is if Hill is sort of the defacto kick returner, which is a job I don't think he wins.

the problem here is that Hill might be the starting gunner so it might be hard to keep him off the actives list - but then do you deactivate gus? that doesnt feel like something we'll do often...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like we are always gonna be a run heavy team. Not to mention we have brown and andrews..being the 3rd option on a run heavy team may makes things hard for him to showcase everything
At least he's going to be active if he wins the RS job, whereas Duvernay might be WR6 (&inactive). So I guess he'll get his chances.

Simba

Staff Member
This means you have both Richards and Levine making it? I'm not sure how I feel about having both on the 53, seems like a wasted spot. Last year Levine wasn't used as much as in the years before and he looked like he had lost a step. And he isn't really a FS or a SS. As of now I have 47 - barring any injuries. Skura might start on PUP to create some flexibility if he's not 100% ready.
Bubble: 3rd TE, Powers, Holden, Colon-Castillo, Washington, Ellis, Board, Alaka, Adeoye, Warrior, Richards, Levine, Nurse and Dorsey.
The Washington pick felt weird when we drafted him, to me he's UDFA material. Wasted draft pick. You can always find UDFA LBs and iDLs. I mean as a draft pick you should flash or have at least one day where you dominate rookie OLs.

Yep. Special Teams for both Levine and Richards. That's why I'd be shocked if either doesn't make it, pending another addition at S.

Skura can't go on the PUP. He's practiced so he's on the active roster at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

3. Skipping for now

washington might be one of those phantom i/r candidates to get him onto next season's roster without losing a 53 man spot this year
the reason they often dont want to give up in year 1 is the pace of the game slows down immensely from year 1 to year 2 and its hard to get a real judgement on a guy until year 2 (if it hasnt clicked yet) - there's a reason the only guy in recent memory we gave up on year 1 was Robert Myers

i think im already moving towards Holden over Powers at this point - still not ideal - we really miss greg senat tbh

if richards doesnt make this team then we must be supremely confident that warrior and stone are going to be major special teams contributors - stone was touted as that kind of guy when we drafted him (which might be why we drafted him over some other guys)

it was interesting that it looked like in the most recent padded practice, urban was spending a bit of time with huntley and it looked like it was all about speeding up his release - it suddenly looked almost comically fast and uncontrolled but clearly they're already trying to see if they can speed up that release - mcsorely just throws such a pretty ball lol - it might be a case of getting huntley on the PS with trace on the 53 and seeing if huntley's delivery can get improved over next offseason rather than the stilted time they've had with him this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ive got both levine and richards making it too - we had levine and bethel both making it as DBs last year so i dont see why we cant do that again just replacing richards for the guy he replaced mid-season in 2019...

and levine still offers something as a dimebacker and potentially emergency cover at CB if we lose 2 or 3 guys in one game

Simba

Staff Member
washington might be one of those phantom i/r candidates to get him onto next season's roster without losing a 53 man spot this year
the reason they often dont want to give up in year 1 is the pace of the game slows down immensely from year 1 to year 2 and its hard to get a real judgement on a guy until year 2 (if it hasnt clicked yet) - there's a reason the only guy in recent memory we gave up on year 1 was Robert Myers

i think im already moving towards Holden over Powers at this point - still not ideal - we really miss greg senat tbh

if richards doesnt make this team then we must be supremely confident that warrior and stone are going to be major special teams contributors - stone was touted as that kind of guy when we drafted him (which might be why we drafted him over some other guys)

it was interesting that it looked like in the most recent padded practice, urban was spending a bit of time with huntley and it looked like it was all about speeding up his release - it suddenly looked almost comically fast and uncontrolled but clearly they're already trying to see if they can speed up that release - mcsorely just throws such a pretty ball lol - it might be a case of getting huntley on the PS with trace on the 53 and seeing if huntley's delivery can get improved over next offseason rather than the stilted time they've had with him this year

It wouldn't surprise me. I know it's hard to tell when there's no preseason, but just seems like a guy that doesn't really have a role and would really just be eating a roster spot with no intentions of playing him all year. Maybe I'm wrong and just inferring based on there being 0 reports about him. Just a weird pick in a weird year and it's hard to gauge feelings on him.

Senat... I miss the guy. It does sound like he's on the bubble in KC so maybe we can execute a minor trade and get him back or hope waivers is an option. I hate Holden as our only viable option so I'd be looking at any reasonable way to improve here.

I wouldn't hate either decision. Sounds like McSorley has had a rough camp but he did play decently last year so I'd lean that direction now. But if it's Huntley, that's cool too. I just wish Huntley didn't need so much work on that release. It's a pretty significant problem and does not play well against NFL talent. He's the type of guy that I think preseason would have really helped or hurt our determination on him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep. Special Teams for both Levine and Richards. That's why I'd be shocked if either doesn't make it, pending another addition at S.

Skura can't go on the PUP. He's practiced so he's on the active roster at this point.

yeah if skura's not ready he'd have to either be put on i/r boomerang (would have to go on the initial 53 first) or he sits for a few weeks
so either way he's going to be on the initial 53 unless he's going to be out for the year