• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Saturday is the technical end of training camp and regular season practice routines pick up next week. Still doesn't seem like football is that close but here we go!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not often do The Ravens have 6 wide receivers active on game day. Lets be honest here Chris Moore or Jaleel Scott are going to make the team base off of special team purposes. Either one is likely to be active on game day. Devin Duvernay hasnt been getting any raving reviews concerning his special team ability.
I don't think Scott makes it.
Proche would likely be the guy who's inactive, I think. It will be whoever impressed more between him and Duvernay.
Also pointed out earlier that you can dress 48 this year, if you carry 8 Olineman (which we will). So you only need five inactives.

Injuries alone could force 1-2 of those, so it'll be week-to-week.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't think Scott makes it.
Proche would likely be the guy who's inactive, I think. It will be whoever impressed more between him and Duvernay.
Also pointed out earlier that you can dress 48 this year, if you carry 8 Olineman (which we will). So you only need five inactives.

Injuries alone could force 1-2 of those, so it'll be week-to-week.

Scott making the team may depend on how The Ravens may feel about Chris Moore health. John Harbaugh has gave Scott some kudos for how he has played so far on special teams. If Moore can't make the team because he needs more time to heal his hand then I can see Scott making the team. Proche has been basically The Ravens best returner so far in training camp according to training camp notes that I have read. The coaching staff seem to really like and feel comfortable with him in that role. So unless The Ravens decide to sign or trade for more a accomplish kick/punt returner then it's probably highly likely Proche is going to be active on game day.

I haven't seen any positive reviews concerning Duvernay return abilities in training. There hasn't been any negatives either but it seems like Proche has been the one that has standout from the rest.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Scott making the team may depend on how The Ravens may feel about Chris Moore health. John Harbaugh has gave Scott some kudos for how he has played so far on special teams. If Moore can't make the team because he needs more time to heal his hand then I can see Scott making the team. Proche has been basically The Ravens best returner so far in training camp according to training camp notes that I have read. The coaching staff seem to really like and feel comfortable with him in that role. So unless The Ravens decide to sign or trade for more a accomplish kick/punt returner then it's probably highly likely Proche is going to be active on game day.

I haven't seen any positive reviews concerning Duvernay return abilities in training. There hasn't been any negatives either but it seems like Proche has been the one that has standout from the rest.
1. I think if they're not comfortable with Moore's health, then he goes on IR and they keep Scott. I can't see any way they can justify keeping both on the 53. Its just a waste. Neither has nearly enough standalone value to carry on the roster for weeks while waiting for them to come back. So I think its still a one-or-the other approach in terms of roster spot.
2. I think they have plenty of combinations of guys who can return kicks, so I don't see one making it especially just for that. They'll need to at least partially contribute elsewhere, and it would appear Duvernay is having more impact on offense than Proche.
I think when the Ravens discuss ST players, they're focused more on gunners or guys who can cover kicks defensively than they are guys who can return kicks. Kick returners in the NFL are almost irrelevant at this point.

Simba

Staff Member
1. I think if they're not comfortable with Moore's health, then he goes on IR and they keep Scott. I can't see any way they can justify keeping both on the 53. Its just a waste. Neither has nearly enough standalone value to carry on the roster for weeks while waiting for them to come back. So I think its still a one-or-the other approach in terms of roster spot.
2. I think they have plenty of combinations of guys who can return kicks, so I don't see one making it especially just for that. They'll need to at least partially contribute elsewhere, and it would appear Duvernay is having more impact on offense than Proche.
I think when the Ravens discuss ST players, they're focused more on gunners or guys who can cover kicks defensively than they are guys who can return kicks. Kick returners in the NFL are almost irrelevant at this point.

Proche is going to be the returner based on virtually all reports. Kick returns are becoming less and less relevant but last year should show that having a punt returner with good hands and an actual brain is key.

Having a pure returner active is not uncommon. Both Cyrus Jones and De'Anthony Thomas were basically only returners for us last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not often do The Ravens have 6 wide receivers active on game day. Lets be honest here Chris Moore or Jaleel Scott are going to make the team base off of special team purposes. Either one is likely to be active on game day. Devin Duvernay hasnt been getting any raving reviews concerning his special team ability.

you're right - but both WR5 and WR6 are going to be playing on special teams and potentially not at all on offence (albeit proche might force his way into snaps) - you need at least 4 active WRs who are actually going to play WR for you on any given sunday and Duvernay is a different type of weapon to anyone else on the roster - he's someone we likely want to manufacture touches for which would suggest he'd be active - he's also similarly been flashing during training camp vs marcus peters et al as a WR

if Duvernay was battling for WR5 or WR6 then id say he'd be in trouble of not being activated but unless something has changed he's likely WR4 in the pecking order

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if Elliott stays healthy I think we’re in for a big time season from him, I don’t think the ravens would have literally been looking for outs to earls contract months ago if the team didn’t agree

that's a big point - ravens have been looking to move on from Earl for a lot longer than just now - but also didnt go out and get extra safety help from anywhere beyond a 7th round draft pick

as you say that's a big sign that the they were comfortable with what we had behind him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Proche is going to be the returner based on virtually all reports. Kick returns are becoming less and less relevant but last year should show that having a punt returner with good hands and an actual brain is key.

Having a pure returner active is not uncommon. Both Cyrus Jones and De'Anthony Thomas were basically only returners for us last year.

what would be the point having people battle for the spot if the winner of that battle isnt going to be active...

Simba

Staff Member
what would be the point having people battle for the spot if the winner of that battle isnt going to be active...

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Proche would have a role on some of the other ST units as well. Maybe not every unit because you obviously want to keep your returner healthy, but I'd be surprised if you also didn't see him running down covering kicks and punts on gamedays.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Proche would have a role on some of the other ST units as well. Maybe not every unit because you obviously want to keep your returner healthy, but I'd be surprised if you also didn't see him running down covering kicks and punts on gamedays.

for sure - i think deanthony thomas was part of the kick coverage unit iirc as well as obviously being the returner

Simba

Staff Member
More OL news...

Per Luke Jones, he's seen some Orlando Brown sliding over to LT with Fluker manning RT. I saw in another report that Tyre Phillips had started to get some reps at T as well. It seems like they might not be so comfortable with Holden or Ehinger as the swing T.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More OL news...

Per Luke Jones, he's seen some Orlando Brown sliding over to LT with Fluker manning RT. I saw in another report that Tyre Phillips had started to get some reps at T as well. It seems like they might not be so comfortable with Holden or Ehinger as the swing T.

interesting - i hadnt seen that from Luke Jones but it has always made sense that if ronnie went down that orlando would slide across to LT

with DJ Fluker missing today it's unfortunate that the beat reporters arent allowed to remark upon who replaced him with the 1s at RG because its embargoed talk

but this from Luke Jones today was interesting to me:

7. Tyre Phillips was regarded as a raw prospect for a third-round pick, but the 6-foot-5, 330-pound guard looks to be ahead of fellow rookie Ben Bredeson and 2019 fourth-rounder Ben Powers — both considered more polished in college — on the depth chart. A normal 2021 offseason could make him very interesting.

reading between the lines that suggests to me that maybe he was the guy who filled in for fluker today

Simba

Staff Member
Also saw in a comment under Jeff Z's risers/fallers article from yesterday that if you made him put together a 53 man roster prediction today, he'd have both Board and Alaka on it. 5 ILBs is heavy but it sounds like Alaka has been quietly impressing and reports came out the other day that Board has started to come around on D as well.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I read somewhere that Clowney is being moved to the AFC North. Is there any truth to this? Have y’all seen anything? If so I’d be somewhat worried if it’s the Steelers lol

Simba

Staff Member
interesting - i hadnt seen that from Luke Jones but it has always made sense that if ronnie went down that orlando would slide across to LT

with DJ Fluker missing today it's unfortunate that the beat reporters arent allowed to remark upon who replaced him with the 1s at RG because its embargoed talk

but this from Luke Jones today was interesting to me:

7. Tyre Phillips was regarded as a raw prospect for a third-round pick, but the 6-foot-5, 330-pound guard looks to be ahead of fellow rookie Ben Bredeson and 2019 fourth-rounder Ben Powers — both considered more polished in college — on the depth chart. A normal 2021 offseason could make him very interesting.

reading between the lines that suggests to me that maybe he was the guy who filled in for fluker today

From an article of his yesterday:

The more interesting battle might be for the reserve swing tackle job after the Ravens released veteran James Hurst in March. Harbaugh has mentioned the 26-year-old Will Holden — now with his seventh organization after being selected in the fifth round of the 2017 draft out of Vanderbilt — as a candidate for the important reserve role, but the Ravens have also toyed with flipping Orlando Brown Jr. to the left side if something were to happen to Ronnie Stanley and moving Fluker out to right tackle, the position he played at the beginning of his NFL career.

definitely sounds to me like tyre phillips is the next man up behind fluker who's clearly won the RG competition - beat guys getting around the embargo by posing suggestions rather than stating anything explicitly

Im surprised Fluker is the front runner, even with the vaunted weightloss he moves like a cargo ship. Maybe hes just so big alongside Zeus that theres no way around him.