• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
for what its worth i think zrebiec about a week ago said that he thought we might go with just 2 TEs and Ricard but that if we kept a 3rd then Adams had looked the best

that being said that was still while Wolf was out injured and lost some valuable time in camp
this may explain why Boykin was on special teams. They are trying out different combinations to see if carrying only 2 TE could work.

Simba

Staff Member
interesting and obviously this is purely during individual drills and bozeman for some reason not in the alignment but with Orlando getting a day off it looked to me like this was the alignment for the 1s through individual drills

Stanley, Mekari, Skura, Phillips, Fluker

obviously the fact that mekari's in at LG over Bozeman is a bit odd and could ultimately mean this is all meaningless but just what ive noticed there

Tomorrow they'll make Ronnie the C and put Powers at LT. Really screw with our heads.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tomorrow they'll make Ronnie the C and put Powers at LT. Really screw with our heads.

my guess is it was a chance to move around Mekari and Bozeman and give them some reps at guard and centre the other way round potentially and trying out fluker at RT in orlando's absence - dont know what that actually says about the RG battle though (if there even is one)

all i know at this point is that there's 7 locks at OL and im still not quite sure which 5 of them start week 1:

Stanley
Orlando
Bozeman
Skura
Mekari
Fluker
Phillips

Simba

Staff Member
my guess is it was a chance to move around Mekari and Bozeman and give them some reps at guard and centre the other way round potentially and trying out fluker at RT in orlando's absence - dont know what that actually says about the RG battle though (if there even is one)

all i know at this point is that there's 7 locks at OL and im still not quite sure which 5 of them start week 1:

Stanley
Orlando
Bozeman
Skura
Mekari
Fluker
Phillips

Probably 8 with Bredeson but he doesn't factor into the starting equation.

Definitely interesting that they don't seem to have that unit locked down yet, but I do like that Fluker is playing some T at the very least. I know I've mentioned it before but him at RT with Brown at LT gives me a lot more comfort than Holden or Ehinger at either T spot.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Probably 8 with Bredeson but he doesn't factor into the starting equation.

Definitely interesting that they don't seem to have that unit locked down yet, but I do like that Fluker is playing some T at the very least. I know I've mentioned it before but him at RT with Brown at LT gives me a lot more comfort than Holden or Ehinger at either T spot.
Historically I agree. I've said I think the objective of the Oline should be to get its five best players on the field, and stop worrying so much about "where they fit" in individual positions.

That being said, in recent years, the Ravens have opted not to downgrade two spots, and merely just replace. That means whoever the swing tackle is what likely slide in for Stanley if he were to be injured, instead of kicking Orlando to the left side and shifting around.

Simba

Staff Member
Historically I agree. I've said I think the objective of the Oline should be to get its five best players on the field, and stop worrying so much about "where they fit" in individual positions.

That being said, in recent years, the Ravens have opted not to downgrade two spots, and merely just replace. That means whoever the swing tackle is what likely slide in for Stanley if he were to be injured, instead of kicking Orlando to the left side and shifting around.

That's the conundrum for sure. I'm with you on the first part - get your best 5 on the field and I'd be hard pressed to believe that Holden or Ehinger are among the best 6 if one of the Ts were to miss time.

But, I also get the continuity aspect and not rearranging the deck completely. I know we're trying to make determinations based on lineups and not actual performance, but it seems they might be realizing that continuity does no good if the guy you're bringing in to save that is also no good.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Never liked the AP comparisons with gurley nor fournette. Was the easiest call ever that everyone was wrong... however, i think he would be a way better back with steelers than he was jags. We struggled with chubb and henry who basically fast power backs so i wouldnt be surprised if Steelers took a look at him.. i think bucs could also be a potential bettor

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
Seems like 2 TE might be reality. Lots of those "reports but not really reports" that we should expect Ricard to have a much larger role on offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

they've done that with Hurst but they've also notably slid Orlando across when Ronnie didn't practice earlier this training camp

i think they were comfortable that Hurst could do enough on the left side to hold up enough to not disrupt the other members of the unit - im not sure any of the backup options can do that this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seems like 2 TE might be reality. Lots of those "reports but not really reports" that we should expect Ricard to have a much larger role on offense.

a bit like the tyre phillips type whispers we heard...

makes things interesting
which suggests a lot of things about what the offence will look like this year - also probably means we reckon we can get 2 of the 3 other TEs we had in camp onto the PS if needs be

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Never liked the AP comparisons with gurley nor fournette. Was the easiest call ever that everyone was wrong... however, i think he would be a way better back with steelers than he was jags. We struggled with chubb and henry who basically fast power backs so i wouldnt be surprised if Steelers took a look at him.. i think bucs could also be a potential bettor
1. I think he's way too indecisive of a runner to play in a Steelers gap-scheme. He misses holes a lot and doesn't have burst.
2. I don't know that the Steelers can afford to sign basically anybody at this point, even for the veteran minimum.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Making space for Fournette? lol

At this point, the Jags have traded or released every first round pick that was a Top 10 pick from 2010-2018. Josh Allen is the only top ten first round pick left on their roster. It's still crazy how they fell apart the way they did after 2017.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point, the Jags have traded or released every first round pick that was a Top 10 pick from 2010-2018. Josh Allen is the only top ten first round pick left on their roster. It's still crazy how they fell apart the way they did after 2017.
Taven Bryan (29th overall in 2018) is still on roster, but your point is well taken.

The list of their first round draft failures is staggering. Tyson Alualu, drafted in 2010, and Marcedes Lewis, drafted in 2006, are the only first round picks I see in about 15 years that have played more than 5 years with Jacksonville.

Over a 7 year period from 2011-2017, five of the seven first round picks they made failed to complete their rookie contract with the team. The only one's that did were Blake Bortles (played five years, cut after first year of extension) and Luke Joeckel, who played 4 years and had his 5th year option declined.

Simba

Staff Member
i know its technically not training camp in the same way anymore but all the beat guys have gone really quiet

even though he's back it looks like he's not in with a shot at the roster

Maybe I’m reading into it too much, but that sounds an awful lot like Ricard gets that role and the other 2 were earmarked for the PS. And with whatever injury concerns there are with Wolf, Scarff goes there instead potentially.