• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member

not sure id describe scarff necessarily as that much bigger than the rest

also interestingly, wolf had like a yellow covering on his helmet (i wonder if that's a holdover from him being in concussion protocol and marks him out for players not to over-aggress on him in practice) - could be that they dont want to release him with an injury designation and are hoping he can clear the protocols by cutdown day

or he could genuinely be in with a shot at the roster

Simba

Staff Member
At least it's a good thing that our biggest debates are TE3 and swing T. We could be A LOT worse off than we are.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think there's 4 battles for the backend of the roster left:

Huntley vs McSorely for QB 3 and by all accounts it sounds like Huntley's winning that battle despite his long release

Ben Powers vs Will Holden for OL 9 and this probably comes down to how comfortable the ravens are with Phillips and Fluker playing tackle in a pinch - if not then it's Holden (or Ehinger) and if they are then Powers wins the battle

Jordan Richards vs Nigel Warrior for S 5 and special teams and Warrior's the player with more upside on defence and if he can match Richards on special teams then the spot is his but Richards was brought in for a reason half way through last year and has made a career out of special teams - I'd love it if Warrior can win this battle but it seems unlikely to me

Eli Wolf/Derrell Adams (TE 3) vs Broderick Washington and this is completely down to how much the ravens value that 3rd TE in this offence with Ricard able to do some of the blocking things that you'd typically want from a 3rd TE - Washington's had a quiet camp but if he's got NFL calibre traits and they like him its hard to see them casting off a 5th round pick in his rookie year

Josh Nurse might have had a shot if he hadnt been injured but his injury takes that doubt away

it's exciting that we get these answers within the next 5 days

Simba

Staff Member
I think there's 4 battles for the backend of the roster left:

Huntley vs McSorely for QB 3 and by all accounts it sounds like Huntley's winning that battle despite his long release

Ben Powers vs Will Holden for OL 9 and this probably comes down to how comfortable the ravens are with Phillips and Fluker playing tackle in a pinch - if not then it's Holden (or Ehinger) and if they are then Powers wins the battle

Jordan Richards vs Nigel Warrior for S 5 and special teams and Warrior's the player with more upside on defence and if he can match Richards on special teams then the spot is his but Richards was brought in for a reason half way through last year and has made a career out of special teams - I'd love it if Warrior can win this battle but it seems unlikely to me

Eli Wolf/Derrell Adams (TE 3) vs Broderick Washington and this is completely down to how much the ravens value that 3rd TE in this offence with Ricard able to do some of the blocking things that you'd typically want from a 3rd TE - Washington's had a quiet camp but if he's got NFL calibre traits and they like him its hard to see them casting off a 5th round pick in his rookie year

Josh Nurse might have had a shot if he hadnt been injured but his injury takes that doubt away

it's exciting that we get these answers within the next 5 days

Agreed on all of these.

I thought maybe Chris Moore was questionable with his injury but Horton went and gave him a glowing endorsement today so that doesn't seem likely.

Madubuike's injury bares watching but we should be good on DL even if Washington remains a weekly inactive.

One that I am curious on is Alaka. They've talked him up a lot and it sounds like he's quietly been doing a lot of what he did last year which almost earned him a starting role had he not gotten hurt. 5 ILBs is a lot but if it's a talent they don't want to lose...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed on all of these.

I thought maybe Chris Moore was questionable with his injury but Horton went and gave him a glowing endorsement today so that doesn't seem likely.

Madubuike's injury bares watching but we should be good on DL even if Washington remains a weekly inactive.

One that I am curious on is Alaka. They've talked him up a lot and it sounds like he's quietly been doing a lot of what he did last year which almost earned him a starting role had he not gotten hurt. 5 ILBs is a lot but if it's a talent they don't want to lose...

tbf though alaka is likely a talent that wouldnt get poached from the practice squad either - they've talked up Chris Board too much to have Alaka win the ILB 4 spot and i dont see us carrying 5 given the logjam at other positions

chris moore always seemed safe but in the last few days all comments have suggested he was super-safe and that the real jaleel scott battle was to see if he could persuade the ravens to keep 7 WRs (which is exceedingly unlikely)

regarding madubuike's injury - i think harbs most recent presser seemed to indicate that all the injury questions were short-term stuff and no one had long-term concerns

Simba

Staff Member
tbf though alaka is likely a talent that wouldnt get poached from the practice squad either - they've talked up Chris Board too much to have Alaka win the ILB 4 spot and i dont see us carrying 5 given the logjam at other positions

chris moore always seemed safe but in the last few days all comments have suggested he was super-safe and that the real jaleel scott battle was to see if he could persuade the ravens to keep 7 WRs (which is exceedingly unlikely)

regarding madubuike's injury - i think harbs most recent presser seemed to indicate that all the injury questions were short-term stuff and no one had long-term concerns

These are definitely more on the minor consideration side, but just some things that wouldn't completely surprise me if something different happened. Maybe Moore is pretty much a lock at this point but the others, just some random odds and ends to consider.

Simba

Staff Member
Just another thing I'm thinking about... you've got to think that if Powers isn't going to make it, we have to be working the phones, right? A former 4th round and practically every team is looking for depth at all times. We gave up something for Bergstrom and Bowanko a few years back. We were able to get something out of Alex Lewis and a pretty solid return out of Eluemunor. Gotta think Powers has at least some value on the trade market.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
These are definitely more on the minor consideration side, but just some things that wouldn't completely surprise me if something different happened. Maybe Moore is pretty much a lock at this point but the others, just some random odds and ends to consider.

it's interesting too that 3 potential UDFAs are on that bubble in those 4 spots - 3 chances to potentially keep the udfa streak alive

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just another thing I'm thinking about... you've got to think that if Powers isn't going to make it, we have to be working the phones, right? A former 4th round and practically every team is looking for depth at all times. We gave up something for Bergstrom and Bowanko a few years back. We were able to get something out of Alex Lewis and a pretty solid return out of Eluemunor. Gotta think Powers has at least some value on the trade market.

that's a good point and it's good that despite the preseason absence there's tape of him from week 17 last year

but that's also partly why i dont think powers does miss out because he's got some NFL-backup quality tape out there already and he's only just entering his 2nd year - i know we lack the positional depth at tackle but powers is clearly the superior player and you never want to be cutting a better player for a worse player

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its possible, though I believe all of those guys had actual NFL game tape to look at. Lewis had 18 games of film as a starter on tape, Eluemenor did have 17 games played (though very few as a starter), and the other two were veterans, each with substantial starts.

A team trading for Powers is going off 30 snaps of game film they had from him last year, and whatever they think of his college tape, with the knowledge that he couldn't make the roster on a team that is probably average to below average in terms of interior Oline play this year.

I think if you could get a conditional 7th, which is essentially the same as dropping him, you'd get a good return.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its possible, though I believe all of those guys had actual NFL game tape to look at. Lewis had 18 games of film as a starter on tape, Eluemenor did have 17 games played (though very few as a starter), and the other two were veterans, each with substantial starts.

A team trading for Powers is going off 30 snaps of game film they had from him last year, and whatever they think of his college tape, with the knowledge that he couldn't make the roster on a team that is probably average to below average in terms of interior Oline play this year.

I think if you could get a conditional 7th, which is essentially the same as dropping him, you'd get a good return.

where's that EDC magic to get a 5th round pick lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
where's that EDC magic to get a 5th round pick lol
True magic would be to get back what he gave up to get him, or something comparable.

Still a net loss if he drafts a guy with a 4 and then trades him for a 5 18 months later with 30 snaps under his belt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True magic would be to get back what he gave up to get him, or something comparable.

Still a net loss if he drafts a guy with a 4 and then trades him for a 5 18 months later with 30 snaps under his belt.

nah - there's always going to be a net loss in terms of value as soon as any time passes because the years of control are fewer - the only way you get the same value back on any draft pick like that is if they're good enough that you should be keeping them in the first place

and let's be realistic, day 3 picks are even more of a lottery than picks made in the first 2 days - that's why its important to have as many of them as you can get if you cant parlay them into day 2 picks somehow

but often day 3 picks just wont work out and if you can get a day 3 pick back for them after only a year that's a pretty good salvage job

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The other thing about the TE3 is that we now have the ability to use those protected PS spots and promote guys on gameday from the PS and have them revert back to the PS after gameday without going through waivers which basically means that on gamedays your 53 can become a 55 which gives us options based on specific games and gameplans if we want to go heavy on TEs but arent particularly precious about the individual TE candidates we have for that TE3 spot

its especially true with guys like Wolf and Adams who likely would not be in high demand from other teams especially on cutdown day