• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just posted this short deshon elliott video on youtube looking at 3 plays from the bengals game:

hopefully now that im less busy at work (and with the season about to start) i might be able to do more of these - im certainly more motivated to do them when using all-22 than i am when searching for half-decent college tape)

if anyone's got any players they want me to have a look at feel free to let me know

Tyus bowser. Idk if you’ve done a deep dive on him, but if you haven’t, I have a feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised in what you see. Every time I go back and re watch a game from the past 2 years I always feel like bowser is jumping off the film

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m cool with the idea of ricard at TE3. He’s shown to have viable hands when uncovered, which he likely will be fairly often, athletically he’s really not that far off from Boyle, he gives us an undersized OT essentially making every snap he plays in-line a jumbo package, but that jumbo blocker can get out in space and move well with LBs and can even get wide to the nickel or corner, then he helps with the problem of replacing Hayden hurst because he frequently moved from inline to FB for moving block assignments.

essentially ricard at TE3 gives us what we would have if we replaced Hurst last year with another Boyle. It should give us much better trench play up front while still keeping those more exotic blocking schemes an option. And we would just be hoping that more andrews, Hollywood, and Boykin can replace the receiving loss we took with hurst, which honestly is how we should’ve approached it anyway, leaning on 3 TEs to carry the skill position group was almost gimmicky and wasn’t going to last.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think also its pretty clear that the ravens havent valued 7th round picks at all in recent years
the difference in value to the ravens of a 5th rounder (or even a 6th rounder) over a 7th rounder is really not proportional

but to your point about 7th rounders, the best one we've made may well have been michael campanaro which isnt saying much

but the 6th round is a different kettle of fish:

2018: Bozeman, Deshon Elliott (and we liked Greg Senat too albeit not enough not to let him go through waivers)
2017: Chuck Clark
2016: Maurice Canady (not a star but made contributions to this team - albeit will be forever remembered for his part in 4th and 9)
2015: Darren Waller - obviously not a star here but got a 2nd contract with the Raiders
2014: Ryan Jensen
2011: Tyrod Taylor

that's a pretty decent group to come out of the 6th round in a single decade
4th and 12, but who's counting

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tyus bowser. Idk if you’ve done a deep dive on him, but if you haven’t, I have a feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised in what you see. Every time I go back and re watch a game from the past 2 years I always feel like bowser is jumping off the film

for sure - very interested in going back and watching more tyus - seemed to turn the corner at the end of last year - not necessarily as a pass rusher but for sure as a 3rd down puzzle piece

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So with Orlando back it looks like this is today's starting OL (at least for individual workouts)

Stanley, Mekari, Bozeman, Phillips, Orlando
...with fluker holding the pad for Orlando at RT

that's at least most of a week now with Phillips practicing with the 1s at RG and Fluker getting work at tackle (or at least repping as if at tackle)

mekari, bozeman and skura seem nailed on for 2 of the 3 IOL spots at LG and C just not sure which way round it will be

but RG seems to be a 2-horse race with only 2 guys getting reps at that spot all camp - maybe im getting my hopes up too high but Phillips now has been practicing with the 1s even with Fluker at practice and chemistry is going to be super important for this OL so if they were going with Fluker (and knew it already) you'd have to think he'd be repping there with the 1s to help build that chemistry with Orlando and the rest of the line...

Simba

Staff Member
So with Orlando back it looks like this is today's starting OL (at least for individual workouts)

Stanley, Mekari, Bozeman, Phillips, Orlando
...with fluker holding the pad for Orlando at RT

that's at least most of a week now with Phillips practicing with the 1s at RG and Fluker getting work at tackle (or at least repping as if at tackle)

mekari, bozeman and skura seem nailed on for 2 of the 3 IOL spots at LG and C just not sure which way round it will be

but RG seems to be a 2-horse race with only 2 guys getting reps at that spot all camp - maybe im getting my hopes up too high but Phillips now has been practicing with the 1s even with Fluker at practice and chemistry is going to be super important for this OL so if they were going with Fluker (and knew it already) you'd have to think he'd be repping there with the 1s to help build that chemistry with Orlando and the rest of the line...

I think this is the week where Harbaugh wants his OL settled, so it could be a last ditch effort to see if they have better options. Mekari, Bozeman, and Skura flopping back and forth between spots might be the bigger example of that, though. Gotta think Phillips and Fluker are both in contention with maybe Phillips having the leg up right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think this is the week where Harbaugh wants his OL settled, so it could be a last ditch effort to see if they have better options. Mekari, Bozeman, and Skura flopping back and forth between spots might be the bigger example of that, though. Gotta think Phillips and Fluker are both in contention with maybe Phillips having the leg up right now.

yeah this is the last week - you gotta expect that they have it settled by cutdown day so they get a full week of practice as a unit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
sorry - 4th and 9 was the chiefs game
atleast that game didn't knock us out of the playoffs. Still it would have been nice to beat the Chiefs in their house and shut some people up.

I think I'm going to start hating the Chiefs as much as I hated them when I rooted for Kenny Stabler back in the day. He's my all time favorite player. Of course I was a kid when he was with the Raiders.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JoeyFlex5 - next vid is definitely gonna be on bowser - just getting to the end of the texans game and lots to talk about with bowser already

but just while watching noticed yet another play where earl just gave up (completely opposite to deshon saving a TD against the browns i think where he had no right to stop the td - and it didnt matter in the end because the browns scored the next play but they might not have)

but this is more egregious than the chubb one to me - i defended him on the chubb one because he was never gonna catch chubb but he legitimately had a great shot to get hyde on his td run and literally as soon as hyde puts the open field cut on him he stops chasing when i think he could/should have got him

for bowser think im gonna watch the bengals (week 6), seattle and 49ers games also

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 - next vid is definitely gonna be on bowser - just getting to the end of the texans game and lots to talk about with bowser already

but just while watching noticed yet another play where earl just gave up (completely opposite to deshon saving a TD against the browns i think where he had no right to stop the td - and it didnt matter in the end because the browns scored the next play but they might not have)

but this is more egregious than the chubb one to me - i defended him on the chubb one because he was never gonna catch chubb but he legitimately had a great shot to get hyde on his td run and literally as soon as hyde puts the open field cut on him he stops chasing when i think he could/should have got him

for bowser think im gonna watch the bengals (week 6), seattle and 49ers games also
Lol I’ve been tryna tell people all offseason, bowser is the guy I keep coming back to every single game it feels like, that’s dating back to the 2018 late season games, seems that from that regular season chargers game a light started to come on, he’s not getting home too frequently but he is really wowing you with some excellent snaps and doing it often.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lol I’ve been tryna tell people all offseason, bowser is the guy I keep coming back to every single game it feels like, that’s dating back to the 2018 late season games, seems that from that regular season chargers game a light started to come on, he’s not getting home too frequently but he is really wowing you with some excellent snaps and doing it often.

still dont think he's that great a pass rusher from what ive seen - still not fluent getting hands off him but he's a 2nd and 3rd down weapon because of the things he offers and the tools he has

gonna watch more film tomorrow to see if im seeing the same thing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
zrebiec mentions it in his 53 man prediction article but i didnt realise that if a player is i/r'd after making the 53 they can return as early as week 4 this year

that certainly makes it more likely that skura or madubuike might make the 53 and then go on i/r albeit we might also decide to carry them both and save the return designations for other guys

Simba

Staff Member
zrebiec mentions it in his 53 man prediction article but i didnt realise that if a player is i/r'd after making the 53 they can return as early as week 4 this year

that certainly makes it more likely that skura or madubuike might make the 53 and then go on i/r albeit we might also decide to carry them both and save the return designations for other guys

Unlimited returns from IR this year as well, I believe

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

My understanding is there's really no longer "return designations" for 2020. Any team can play an unlimited number of players on IR for a minimum of 3 weeks, and an unlimited number can return. I don't believe there's a limit.

This also generally EXCLUDES COVID-19 positive tests. Those players that test positive for COVID go on the Commissioners Exempt list, get fully paid, and there's no minimum or maximum stay on the list. You get a roster exemption for certain periods that you're on the list. It could be for one week or the whole season...there's no minimum requirement.

Basically 2020 is almost an open book for roster flexibility. The only "strategy" seemingly is if you have somebody with a 1-2 week injury, what do you do with them? All of these guys that end up with like 2-4 week injuries (high ankle sprains, etc.) are going to go on IR, and they can stay for as long as they want and then come back.

I think you're going to see a pretty decent size group of guys get sent to IR end of this week or this weekend, which means the 53 man roster will probably look different than we've all been expecting. You'll see constant roster shake-ups mid-season.