• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
More not reporting reports. It'd be surprising if Phillips isn't the starter at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JoeyFlex5 - watching more Tyus against Seattle and Jaylon Ferguson just popped off the screen - dude's stiff but he's ridiculously strong - as a rookie he sometimes just wins the leverage (probably more luck than judgement) and then he bullies people

like i dont see it from the limited stuff we've seen of training camp but he's so physically gifted in terms of his power and strength and length that he should be able to at minimum turn into a premier edge setter in the pros

but we'll see

tyus has surprised me in this seattle game against the run

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 - watching more Tyus against Seattle and Jaylon Ferguson just popped off the screen - dude's stiff but he's ridiculously strong - as a rookie he sometimes just wins the leverage (probably more luck than judgement) and then he bullies people

like i dont see it from the limited stuff we've seen of training camp but he's so physically gifted in terms of his power and strength and length that he should be able to at minimum turn into a premier edge setter in the pros

but we'll see

Don’t try it with me, ferguson is trash

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

but we'll see

how are you getting these full games?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think that Dobbins will be OUR rookie of the year. And I don't think it'll be close. Only person who I think has a shot to he better than him would be Queen.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just gone head and say it.. this shyt may get real ugly for our oline this year
Idk man, I feel like the absolute need to play contain should be enough to make our OL appear viable in the pass game, and then the scheme should take care of the run game, we got our bookends, Bozeman I guess has a stranglehold on LG which is great news considering we didn’t know if he was viable or not(clearly he is, otherwise there would be a competition), and we know a healthy skura, in this offense, is very respectable as well.

the iOL is far from elite, but it doesn’t need to be elite, scheme and surrounding talent will do the rest. And despite how much we dislike our interior, our overall OL is still a top 10 unit, if skura is playing at like 90% and if Phillips is as good as he’s sounding in camp, you may be able to call it top 5.

Simba

Staff Member
A couple of last minute changes to my 53 with some additional "info" that came out this week. I knew my last one wasn't final but this one is...

QB (3): Jackson, Griffin, McSorley
RB (4): Ingram, Dobbins, Edwards, Hill
WR (6): Brown, Snead, Boykin, Duvernay, Proche, Moore
TE (3): Andrews, Boyle, Ricard
OL (9): Stanley, Bozeman, Skura*, Phillips, Brown, Fluker, Mekari, Bredeson, Powers
DL (6): Campbell, Williams, Wolfe, Madubuike*, Ellis, Washington
OLB (5): Judon, McPhee, Bowser, Ferguson, Ward
ILB (4): Queen, Fort, Harrison, Board
CB (5): Humphrey, Peters, Smith, Young, Averett
S (5): Clark, Elliott, Levine, Stone, Warrior
ST (3): Tucker, Koch, Cox

With Madubuike week-to-week and Skura potentially needing a little more time, both make the original 53 but go to the 3 week IR shortly after. Jordan Richards (vested vet who isn't exposed to waivers) and Jerell Adams (unlikely to be claimed) return to the roster on Tuesday to fill those roster spots.

Ideal PS (pending cleared waivers):
O: QB Huntley, RB Williams, WR Scott, WR Moore, TE Wolf, TE Scarff, OL Colon-Castillo, OL Ehinger, OL Holden
D: DL Crawford, ILB Alaka, ILB Welch, OLB Adeoye, OLB Rivers, CB Nurse, CB Bonds

No luck at the inn:
RB Barner, OLB Willoughby, CB Dorsey, P Townsend, LS Moore

Of note:

I went back with McSorley over Huntley. I just have a hard time buying that Huntley will be claimed on waivers. I don't think McSorley will either, but he at least has some game tape from last year that adds a little more question for me.

With Phillips seemingly winning the RG job and Fluker moving into a super sub role, I have Holden off and Powers back on (2 unintended puns there). I think they'll want to continue to work with Powers as a 4th rounder last year as opposed to a true fringe NFL talent.

Stacking heavy in the secondary for ST reasons but would imagine one of those is the first to go when one of Mads or Skura return from IR. I could also see a scenario where Richards is off the roster until week 2 so they don't have to guarantee his salary for the year.

PS is simply ideal and I don't doubt we'll probably have a couple of outside additions - another DL in particular? Scarff is on temporarily until we know the extent of Wolf's injury.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
to me that's really exciting if he's managed to win that job in a truncated offseason as a rookie having hardly played any guard in college - you've got to think he's a really intelligent guy to even be in the mix this early let alone potentially win that job
and a very hard worker

Simba

Staff Member
In response to a question about Powers under Jeff's 53 man prediction...

Wouldn’t count him out yet. Am getting sense since writing this that he has a decent shot to make team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In response to a question about Powers under Jeff's 53 man prediction...

Wouldn’t count him out yet. Am getting sense since writing this that he has a decent shot to make team.

well there's 2 ways he makes it and 1 way he doesnt - if skura's not ready to go week 1 then powers definitely makes the roster and if phillips starts then it allows fluker to be our swing tackle backup which means that powers gets in over holden because he's a better talent on the OL

he could still miss out but in my head i still cant really rationalise him missing out for a worse player who just happens to have had reps at tackle in his career

Simba

Staff Member
well there's 2 ways he makes it and 1 way he doesnt - if skura's not ready to go week 1 then powers definitely makes the roster and if phillips starts then it allows fluker to be our swing tackle backup which means that powers gets in over holden because he's a better talent on the OL

he could still miss out but in my head i still cant really rationalise him missing out for a worse player who just happens to have had reps at tackle in his career

I think it's a good move to hang onto him. Whoever else would make the 53 is likely a fringe player themselves. Give the edge to the former 4th round pick who actually did show some ability (albeit in limited snaps) and see if you can shake him out of whatever funk he was in this camp.

If we want to keep Holden or Ehinger at this point, I'm doubting either gets claimed and you can keep one or both on the PS. If one gets claimed, I doubt they'd be losing any sleep.