• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the Ravens are the team that like Jordyn Brooks better than both Murray and Queen and are hoping to get him in the 2nd round.
I think you could be right. honestly, Ive tried and Ive never really been able to get a feel for Brooks. The more I consider it, I believe we are looking for that guy that works all three downs but specifically if we intend a similar dime look this year with Chuck at Will. Queen makes for a very good Will but I don't think we want two slight LB's defending the run for a third of our defensive snaps (might actually be high than that...think I read that we were in Dime 45% once Chuck took over.

That 3 down/mike type do everything LB could be Brooks...perhaps Gay,Jr. also I think Troy dye has upside in that regard...maybe Malik as well. If we were to take Murray we are betting he is that guy as well. He seems a Will to me as well though

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think you could be right. honestly, Ive tried and Ive never really been able to get a feel for Brooks. The more I consider it, I believe we are looking for that guy that works all three downs but specifically if we intend a similar dime look this year with Chuck at Will. Queen makes for a very good Will but I don't think we want two slight LB's defending the run for a third of our defensive snaps (might actually be high than that...think I read that we were in Dime 45% once Chuck took over.

That 3 down/mike type do everything LB could be Brooks...perhaps Gay,Jr. also I think Troy dye has upside in that regard...maybe Malik as well. If we were to take Murray we are betting he is that guy as well. He seems a Will to me as well though
Yep, pretty much agree with everything you've said and we are in dime quote a bit with Chuck dropping into the Mike roll. However we still need a Mike on the team and one of those guys you mentioned above (Brooks, Dye, Gay and Malik) could fit that role nicely. I believe Brooks has a higher upside of those guys, but also like Dye quite a bit.

BTW, what is your take on Logan Wilson. He could be there in the 3rd round and I've liked what I have seen of him.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yep, pretty much agree with everything you've said and we are in dime quote a bit with Chuck dropping into the Mike roll. However we still need a Mike on the team and one of those guys you mentioned above (Brooks, Dye, Gay and Malik) could fit that role nicely. I believe Brooks has a higher upside of those guys, but also like Dye quite a bit.

BTW, what is your take on Logan Wilson. He could be there in the 3rd round and I've liked what I have seen of him.
very limited tape so Im not sure. Certain things I saw I liked but I believe it was one game from this year that was available. I think he has an upside as he is relatively new to LB as a converted safety and I liked what I saw of him in coverage.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
here is the latest from WF on who we have met with. there are more names I have read elsewhere that don't appear here.

• BAL.gif
    Baltimore Ravens
  • Luq Barcoo, CB, San Diego State (VIR)
  • Michael Barnett, DT, Georgia (VIR)
  • Ross Blacklock, DT/3-4DE, TCU (VIR)
  • Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (VIR)
  • Carlos Davis, DT/NT, Nebraska (EW)
  • Javaris Davis, CB, Auburn (VIR)
  • Jack Driscoll, OT, Auburn (EW)
  • Darrynton Evans^, RB, Appalachian State (COM, VIR)
  • Chris Finke, WR, Notre Dame (EW)
  • Willie Gay, OLB, Mississippi State (VIR)
  • Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (VIR)
  • A.J. Green, CB, Oklahoma State (VIR)
  • De'Jon Harris, ILB, Arkansas (COM)
  • Robert Hunt, OT, La.-Lafayette (VIR)
  • Josh Jones, OT, Houston (VIR)
  • Azur Kamara, DL, Kansas (SR)
  • Terrell Lewis, DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (VIR)
  • Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (VIR)
  • Kenneth Murray^, OLB/ILB, Oklahoma (PRI, VIR)
  • Sewo Olonilua, RB, TCU (VIR)
  • Shaquille Quarterman, ILB, Miami (EW)
  • Patrick Queen, LB, LSU (VIR)
  • Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech (COM)
  • Jon Runyan, OT, Michigan (EW)
  • Josiah Scott, CB, Michigan State (VIR)
  • Josh Uche, 3-4OLB/OLB, Michigan (COM)
  • Kenny Willekes, DE/3-4OLB, Michigan State (VIR)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
here is the latest from WF on who we have met with. there are more names I have read elsewhere that don't appear here.

• BAL.gif
    Baltimore Ravens
  • Luq Barcoo, CB, San Diego State (VIR)
  • Michael Barnett, DT, Georgia (VIR)
  • Ross Blacklock, DT/3-4DE, TCU (VIR)
  • Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (VIR)
  • Carlos Davis, DT/NT, Nebraska (EW)
  • Javaris Davis, CB, Auburn (VIR)
  • Jack Driscoll, OT, Auburn (EW)
  • Darrynton Evans^, RB, Appalachian State (COM, VIR)
  • Chris Finke, WR, Notre Dame (EW)
  • Willie Gay, OLB, Mississippi State (VIR)
  • Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (VIR)
  • A.J. Green, CB, Oklahoma State (VIR)
  • De'Jon Harris, ILB, Arkansas (COM)
  • Robert Hunt, OT, La.-Lafayette (VIR)
  • Josh Jones, OT, Houston (VIR)
  • Azur Kamara, DL, Kansas (SR)
  • Terrell Lewis, DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (VIR)
  • Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (VIR)
  • Kenneth Murray^, OLB/ILB, Oklahoma (PRI, VIR)
  • Sewo Olonilua, RB, TCU (VIR)
  • Shaquille Quarterman, ILB, Miami (EW)
  • Patrick Queen, LB, LSU (VIR)
  • Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech (COM)
  • Jon Runyan, OT, Michigan (EW)
  • Josiah Scott, CB, Michigan State (VIR)
  • Josh Uche, 3-4OLB/OLB, Michigan (COM)
  • Kenny Willekes, DE/3-4OLB, Michigan State (VIR)
Apparently we met with Lamb as well

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Closer look at EDC's draft setup. Looks pretty cool. I bet he's trolling us with a fake draft board.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

I also thought of using Murray first as a Will. The problem with Brooks and him being a 3 down mike is: his tape doesn't show it. He didn't drop back in coverage, he was mainly a spy. At this point we can only guess, and I'm not willing to spend a 1st .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
thats a weird thing to say in praise of a LB. sort of expected to note a puller since before HS. and then to say, " takes him to ball locations....huh? Duh.

My main concern with Queen is tackling in space and his size. great read and react and probably would make us even more special so far as coverage in nickel particularly.

the 4th play in the clips he shows is one of my favorites. great read/take on and shed to make tackle

yeah its odd how that's his way of describing good reads - that being said i do think Queen is a pretty good reader of the plays and makes good decisions

if queen was the pick at 28 id be disappointed that we were getting a linebacker that high but ecstatic that we were adding patrick queen (if that makes sense)

Simba

Staff Member
haha - think the draft board was blank lol

what im interested in is the film freeze frame - what game is he trolling people with now - it was LSU-Oklahoma last time - i cant work out what this one is

Twitter says that's a St. John's logo at midfield so the assumption is Ben Bartch

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I also thought of using Murray first as a Will. The problem with Brooks and him being a 3 down mike is: his tape doesn't show it. He didn't drop back in coverage, he was mainly a spy. At this point we can only guess, and I'm not willing to spend a 1st .
It is very true that Brooks has never dropped back into coverage but that is how he was used. I happen to think he can drop back in coverage and I'm assuming some teams feel he can as well. Whether that is correct remains to be seen, but if it's us we tend to be pretty good in developing LBs. I don't think he should be taken in the 1st round, but as a day two prospect, I would welcome him.

Reactions: cdp

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have no idea about Brooks. But, I agree, no way would I think of him in the first.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could also see the Ravens drafting Shenault in the 2nd round if he is available.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thinking about the ravens draft needs in terms of units really helps narrow down what we should be thinking about in need terms:

Secondary - were golden - need depth at most if even that

Front 7: old and low on talent all over - need multiple young guys

Offensive line: we’ve got depth - 1 quality prospect on the interior would make a world of difference

Receiving Corps: got some young talent but no depth - need to add a piece or 2 but not a disaster

Running game: no needs - if a superstar RB is available then would be nice to add looking beyond 2020

so outside of just picking good players - the one unit that's actually got needs is the front 7 - and adding talent to that unit has to be priority number 1 - ultimately everything else can be managed (and some of those units will get players who were BPA too) but it would be bad for this team not to add talent in the front 7