• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Isn’t Delanie a FA? Could we afford him on a vet minimum? I’m worried about TE2

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. At the end of the day though, I feel like most years there are some cuts that people are like oh no, I wanted that guy to make it and really improve blah blah blah. This year, I feel the roster is staked that whatever the cuts are, its not going to be as sad.

True and I think with EDC at the helm we aren't as patient and prideful when it comes to SEEING that a guy doesn't have ''it''. In the past we'd give guys who clearly were showing nothing way too much time.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
What's really interesting about the way we drafted this year is we focused on core traits. Dobbins doesn't fumble. Duvernay and Proche don't drop the ball. None are the greatest athletes, but they get the job done consistently. All of the players we drafted are supposedly really high IQ players. I think we have shifted focus under EDC to take potentially more unspectacular players at the college level who display really good core traits with the hope that our coaching staff can make them spectacular pros. The mindset may be take high floor players that we have the faith in elevating.

Great hands and production

last year I was iffy about boykin because even though he had a very low drop rate his production was mehish.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So this is just some book keeping to see how many players should be considered for a 53 man spot. This will give us an idea of how many though decisions there will be.

QB LJ, RG3, Trace 3
RB Ingram, Gus, JK, Hill 7
FB Ricard 8
TE Andrews, Boyle, somebody else 11
WR Hollywood, Boykin, Snead, Duvernay, Proche, Moore, Scott 18
OL Stanley, Bozeman, Skura, Mekari, Brown, Powers, Phillips, Bredeson 26

S Earl, Chuck, Elliot, Levine, Stone 31
CB Marlon, Peters, Jimmy, Young, AA, Marshall 37
ILB Queen, Harrison, Fort, Board, Alaka 42
OLB Judon, Ferguson, Bowser 45
DL Campbell, Wolfe, BWill, Justin M, Washington, Ellis, Ward, Mack 53

WOLFPACK 56

Wow!!! I was expecting us to be way over. But if we're only 3 over it's not hard to remove one of Scott, Alaka, a running back, or 1 DLineman. It seems to me outside of the TE spot, it's going to be very hard for a UDFA to make this team. But boy does this roster look stacked.

you're likely going to have to add an OLB - even with campbell and ward being able to slide outside to EDGE, 3 OLB isnt enough - but you're definitely right that the number of guys on the bubble is not very big which means the number of guys who have a chance to make the roster is much smaller too

that being said there are some UDFAs who have a chance and always will stand out (especially this year when lots of small school guys, guys with medicals and guys who didnt get combine invites probably slid further than they could have if they'd been able to do workouts etc.)

the ravens clearly have a C they really like that they picked up as a C, the 2 TEs they picked up definitely are interesting and Rechsteiner the fullback (not a true fullback) is really interesting

but charles scarf will factor into that TE 3 competition as well

dont forget antoine wesley in the WR competition too

and remember special teams factors in - jordan richards has a shot as a DB purely on that basis

i hate to say it but andre smith has a chance at the roster if Tyre Phillips ends up winning a starting job (or misses the roster) because our swing tackle options are very limited beyond Phillips with Hurst now gone

and there's always a UDFA who no one expects who emerges and forces their way into the conversation

LSURavenFan

Veteran
It definitely looks on paper that UDFA will be in tough to make the squad.

But the unfortunate reality is, there will be injuries in camp and what does Skura look like coming off significant injury, what about Tavon?

On paper the Ravens look really deep though which is very exciting

It definitely looks on paper that UDFA will be in tough to make the squad.

But the unfortunate reality is, there will be injuries in camp and what does Skura look like coming off significant injury, what about Tavon?

On paper the Ravens look really deep though which is very exciting
I think SB favorites that’s for sure.

My Uncle thinks when I talked to him last night that we will have a NFL Season but we will be playing in empty stadiums this fall. He thinks the NFL would charge us all to watch the games on TV. You guys hear any of this?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's really interesting about the way we drafted this year is we focused on core traits. Dobbins doesn't fumble. Duvernay and Proche don't drop the ball. None are the greatest athletes, but they get the job done consistently. All of the players we drafted are supposedly really high IQ players. I think we have shifted focus under EDC to take potentially more unspectacular players at the college level who display really good core traits with the hope that our coaching staff can make them spectacular pros. The mindset may be take high floor players that we have the faith in elevating.

i dont think it's quite that simple - yes they all have those attributes but i dont think that's why we picked them as high as we did - that just put them over the top

but i think we're very much focusing on what can a prospect do for our football team (especially at positions like LB and DL where we know Wink is a master at substitutions and snap management) rather than what a prospect can't do - and that helps us bring in players who can have an early impact

chris wormley is the kind of player you take when you worry about what a prospect can't do
justin madubuike is the kind of player you take when you identify something that player can do at a high level and want to work with that

it definitely helps that philosophically on defence we're attack oriented i.e. we're often trying to dictate what the offence has to do with our alignments and blitzing which means it's much easier for us to create positive mismatches and not be manipulated by the offence - which means that a 2nd trait that we clearly value highly on both sides of the ball in all prospects is positional flexibility (or skill flexibility) looking for players who can do multiple things

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can that beastly FB play TE? Serious question. Who the hell is going to be our TE2?