• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
haha if you'd seen me in the draft threads going feral about madubuike it wouldnt have been a surprise lol - he's been my "guy" since very early on in the process and I had a 1st round grade on him
I discovered him rather late, I think I caught on around mid to late March, but man I watched one game and was sold, and after 3 or 4 games I started seriously considering him as a late round 1 guy. He became my favorite DL almost immediately

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbh that dude TFG has lousy scouting ability. Looking at last year and the guys he was super high on and gave A Plus to who were super bums ( michael jordan the gaurd from cinci for example)

he also gave marquise brown a B and Justice HIll an A grade

PFF are more reliable than this dude.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think he was being kind with the claypool grade. I'd have been happy with claypool in the 4th round.
Claypool to me was barely draftable, day 3 project. I’ll come right out and say I could end up dead wrong on him and he could dominate on athleticism and size alone, he’s that special, but I think his actual skill as a receiver is so horrible, like all around. I’m so happy that he was never an option for us because I felt like he was a real target for the ravens and I would’ve been so pissed off.

I’m still really concerned about the interior of the offensive line. It’s critical to our success next season. If we can’t find guys with awareness and the ability to move d linemen off the ball it’s going to be a struggle.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbh that dude TFG has lousy scouting ability. Looking at last year and the guys he was super high on and gave A Plus to who were super bums ( michael jordan the gaurd from cinci for example)

he also gave marquise brown a B and Justice HIll an A grade

PFF are more reliable than this dude.
He had biadasz going in the first round until like 2 weeks ago when he finally learned that Ruiz existed.

he is really bad, and he gets really salty about comments lol, I gave him shit weekly when he refused to put the ravens 1 in the power rankings and wouldn’t budge until we beat the niners, he used to reply so defensively. He also puts remarks at the beginning of his videos like “to the people commenting ______ if you don’t like this then why are you here blabla”

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m still really concerned about the interior of the offensive line. It’s critical to our success next season. If we can’t find guys with awareness and the ability to move d linemen off the ball it’s going to be a struggle.
I’m concerned too, it’s really worrying, but it’s obvious as hell that we are trusting our guys and our coaches.

I will give them the benefit though, we have coached up starting OL for years coming from day 3 and UDFA players. If they can do what they did with Bozeman and skura, I’ll trust that they can also coach up powers, mekari, phillips, and bredeson, or at least find 2 competent mid tier starters out of them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Claypool to me was barely draftable, day 3 project. I’ll come right out and say I could end up dead wrong on him and he could dominate on athleticism and size alone, he’s that special, but I think his actual skill as a receiver is so horrible, like all around. I’m so happy that he was never an option for us because I felt like he was a real target for the ravens and I would’ve been so pissed off.

100% - claypool's a height-weight-speed project pick - someone with the athletic tools that you draft him and see if there's something to work with - the tape says he's a bang-average big receiver who cant separate consistently downfield but is pretty good at the catchpoint

rossihunter2

Staff Member

absolutely - just like with any QB, interior pressure causes problems, Lamar's amazing but in this he is no different to other QBs around the league

and with our power running game we need at least one guard to anchor around in the running game
i will probably go back to the steelers game in week 17 at some point to watch ben powers (might even do it now lol)

we dont have a fix on the interior, but we do now at least have some options...

Ben Powers showed something in week 17 (but im going to go to the tape to see what it actually was - with yanda's retirement that tape was basically an early tryout for him at the RG spot), Bradley Bozeman has positional flexibility but until Mekari came in was the weakest part of a pretty amazing OL, Skura took a step forward but that injury was gruesome and who knows when/if he'll get back to that level - but the addition of Ben Bredeson who's a pretty technical and sound OL with some athletic limitations and Tyre Phillips who's a mammoth human being who relishes the running game but has poor footwork that gets him in trouble in the passing game add options to the room to see if someone can develop and take one of those 3 spots

i think bozeman is the only player at this point i think is close to 100% guaranteed to be a starter on the IOL next year - but it could be at LG or C

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Curious to know if some of the older folks here ever gave an A grade to Yamon Figurs or Devard Darling.

Might put things in perspective :p
More than likely. I think if we drafted him yesterday then no because a lot of people have gotten better with their evaluation, however some still cant put their fandom to the side so regardless how terrible a player look, people will be optimistic about him until he leaves our team.

Francois Boulianne

Practice Squad
Maybe there are other elements we should consider with regards to positional value and the Dobbin's case.

We all know that he would not have been available in the 3rd rd and probably not even at 60 (Dolphins).

Ingram's cap hit this year will be $5,333M and next year $6,333M (but then with only $1,333 in dead money if cut).

Dobbins cap hit this year will be $1,04M and a little more each on the next 3 years.
Now we know that Dobbins was the back with to most snaps played in college football out of the shotgun and in RPO.
He seems to have breakaway speed for homerun runs, something the FO has been looking for for many years.

Many of you say that the RB success with our new system is more than ever a product of the scheme over he RB talent.
Many also say that Gus the bus, with is under $1M cap hit and is 5.3 Y/C in 2019, is surely the odd man out...

We could have drafted Mims instead (which I was claming for like everybody else). The guy would have been a 50/50 chance to pan out considering our history with wide receivers. He would have competed with Boyken for snaps on the outside, would have touched the ball so many times in our heavy TE sets, and would have not allowed us to cut any significant player. Instead, we took 2 sure handed productive receivers with the bulk and grit to survive in the middle of the field in round 3 and 6, one of which might be good following the 50/50 rule and might replace Snead's $5,4M cap hit.

My point is, when addressing positional value, maybe we should give more weight to the cap hit implications, the scheme, and the plug and play probabilities. No running back we drafted since Ray Rice I think has been able to have a major impact on our team in year 1 and 2. Maybe this guy will. And maybe you have no choice but to pick up such guys in the 2nd round.

Now, if Dobbins is this type of player and if he helps saving $4/5 M a year in cap space for 2021 and 2022 (Lamar's year 4 and 5), maybe this is real positional value.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
and that's against 2 of the best interior OL from this draft class too and one of the best tackles also
Imo that lsu team is probably the 2nd best college football team ive ever seen. Arguably number 1 along with tebow gators. Anyone that stands out vs lsu has potential lol...

Watched dunevay and he was killing lsu by the way.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Maybe there are other elements we should consider with regards to positional value and the Dobbin's case.

We all know that he would not have been available in the 3rd rd and probably not even at 60 (Dolphins).

Ingram's cap hit this year will be $5,333M and next year $6,333M (but then with only $1,333 in dead money if cut).

Dobbins cap hit this year will be $1,04M and a little more each on the next 3 years.
Now we know that Dobbins was the back with to most snaps played in college football out of the shotgun and in RPO.
He seems to have breakaway spead for homerun runs, something the FO has been looking for for many years.

Many of you say that the RB success with our new system is more than ever a product of the scheme over he RB talent.
Many also say that Gus the bus, with is under $1M cap hit and is 5.3 Y/C in 2019, is surely the odd man out...

We could have drafted Mims instead (which I was claming for like everybody else). The guy would have been a 50/50 chance to pan out considering our history with wide receivers. He would have competed with Boyken for snaps on the outside, would have touched the ball so many times in our heavy TE sets, and would have not allowed us to cut any significant player. Instead we took 2 sure handed productive receivers with the bulk and grit to survive in the middle of the field in round 3 and 6, one of which might be good following the 50/50 rule and might replace Snead's $5,4M cap hit

My point is, when addressing positional value, maybe we shoulg give more weight to the cap hit implications, the scheme, and the plug and play probabilities. No running back we drafted since Ray Rice I think has been able to have a major impact on our team in year 1 and 2. Maybe this guy will. And maybe you have no choice but to pick up such guys in the 2nd round.

Now, if Dobbins is this type of player and if he helps saving $4/5 M a year in cap space for 2021 and 2022 (Lamar's year 4 and 5), maybe this is real positional value.
I like gus. If its possible or if he dont request trade, id rather us keep all of our backs until ingram time is up. Dobbins and gus is a good combo for us.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
More than likely. I think if we drafted him yesterday then no because a lot of people have gotten better with their evaluation, however some still cant put their fandom to the side so regardless how terrible a player look, people will be optimistic about him until he leaves our team.
So who in this class would you say we are fanboying on this board?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do predict that 1 of powers, bredson and phillips will be really good.

PFF had bredson as the best pass blocking guard in football. Can it translate to the NFL? We'll see. powers was excellent last year

philips is one of those guys they're going to have to coach and he's going to have to process. He has all the physical tools you'd want. He's huge ( bigger than KO) with super long arms. We've got a great O line coach though so..

the only position that worries me is EDGE and Oddly enough TE. Andrews isn't exactly the most durable guy and Boyle is a blocker. Think we might miss Hayden more than ppl think

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing about dobbins i like is he's obviously high floor from just watching him. He has no real weakness whatsoever
like if you were to grade him in every attribute he'd be a B grade

although i'd give him an A grade in pass protection

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Having watched a lot of OSU games, I am so happy we got Dobbins. Him paired with Lamar is going to be lethal. I love the draft, thought Cleveland and Cinci did well too. Can't wait for the season, now, if you excuse me, I have to catch up on these forums...