• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

I really like the draft but I still feel the second round was strange for me. I think there is a balance between letting the draft come to you and taking BPA and being willing to relinquish picks to get a player you are targeting.

I am usually BPA no matter what and I have no doubt that Dobbins was BPA and a value based on where he was projected. There is also a lot of smoke that suggests the Ravens might be taking Mims with their next pick in round two. The Jets felt that way apparently and our trading out suggests that might have been the case. Im speculating clearly, but based on those two things I think there is reason to speculate.

Imagine this draft instead:

1 Queen
2 Mims
2 Madubuike
3 Duvarney
3 Harrison
4 another 4th rounder that we traded w NE to leave round two
4 Ben Bredeson
5 Broderick Washington
6) Geno stone

Obviously this is realistic and I think wed be ecstatic about Mims/ Duvarney plus there is no telling who we might have grabbed in the 4th.
Call me crazy but Mims would have helped our run game more than Dobbins would have. Just the threat of his speed would clear out defenders and he was probably the best blocking WR in this class. I don’t think the Ravens had him high on their board or he would have been the pick at 55. Really confusing to pick Dobbins that high. People are going to justify picking him that high because he’s going to produce, but our scheme is going to be the reason not entirely him.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

assuming some of you have already seen this - but isnt it great when your GM and HC get on so well and have such an amazing working relationship

That is one giant backyard, Eric walks out of the house and keeps walking, walking, walking, walking and finally is at his fence.

Also... we now need Harbaugh's Dog vs Bill Belichick's Dog next year.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Curious to know if some of the older folks here ever gave an A grade to Yamon Figurs or Devard Darling.

Might put things in perspective :p

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I find it funny how since the Jordan Love pick by the Packers, the media is now painting this picture of the pick being disrespectful to Rodgers, Stephen A says he should demand a trade, and just a slap to the face of Rodgers.

The theme of the last several posts has been around Madubuike. This pick has the potential to be the biggest pleasant surprise of our draft.

This team has not been able to generate a pass rush up the middle in seemingly forever. Neither Williams nor Pierce have been effective in that part of their game. If Madubuike can bring that it takes this defense to the next level.

The additions at DE will also improve our overall ability to get to the QB. I think you will see our edge improve their ability to get pressure based on teams concerns about our front 3. Throw in Queen and his ability as a blitzer and no significant changes in the secondary and this D will be vastly improved in 2021

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The theme of the last several posts has been around Madubuike. This pick has the potential to be the biggest pleasant surprise of our draft.

This team has not been able to generate a pass rush up the middle in seemingly forever. Neither Williams nor Pierce have been effective in that part of their game. If Madubuike can bring that it takes this defense to the next level.

The additions at DE will also improve our overall ability to get to the QB. I think you will see our edge improve their ability to get pressure based on teams concerns about our front 3. Throw in Queen and his ability as a blitzer and no significant changes in the secondary and this D will be vastly improved in 2021

haha if you'd seen me in the draft threads going feral about madubuike it wouldnt have been a surprise lol - he's been my "guy" since very early on in the process and I had a 1st round grade on him

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
and that's against 2 of the best interior OL from this draft class too and one of the best tackles also
Wasnt Queens most involved game but he had some solid flashes. Did a good job blowing up a screen and making a sure tackle before the line to gain. Was a very effective blitzer and QB spy. Forced 2 throw away 1 of which was intentional grounding. Was great in coverage per usual. Was awarded a sack on the stat sheet but I must've missed it. I didnt see it and I watched the whole game

Watching Utah St film now and I think this is the game where it all starts coming together for him. Hes fast and instinctive in this game. Flies all around the field and had multiple stops and TFLs thanks to his range

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
haha if you'd seen me in the draft threads going feral about madubuike it wouldnt have been a surprise lol - he's been my "guy" since very early on in the process and I had a 1st round grade on him
Watching him now myself and I can see why. One of the best DTs in the SEC and hes always mentioned as such by commentators and other coaches when asked who they're worried about. Teams scheme around him. That says a lot

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watching him now myself and I can see why. One of the best DTs in the SEC and hes always mentioned as such by commentators and other coaches when asked who they're worried about. Teams scheme around him. That says a lot

he's borderline unblockable in the passing game when you leave him 1v1 - especially when he's lined up over the center - often he's mostly winning the snap by the time they even get into their stance because he's so quick off the snap - he's really good at getting into half a man, and then getting hands off him and shedding

to me, outside of some consistency issues, the only real negative to him is his lack of length which means that he can get occasionally locked out by really long IOL but it's not over when that happens either - when he does get locked out, i love the effort and fight to get himself back in the down

but more often than not he's too fast and too physical for OL to get hands on in any effective way

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's borderline unblockable in the passing game when you leave him 1v1 - especially when he's lined up over the center - often he's mostly winning the snap by the time they even get into their stance because he's so quick off the snap - he's really good at getting into half a man, and then getting hands off him and shedding

to me, outside of some consistency issues, the only real negative to him is his lack of length which means that he can get occasionally locked out by really long IOL but it's not over when that happens either - when he does get locked out, i love the effort and fight to get himself back in the down

but more often than not he's too fast and too physical for OL to get hands on in any effective way
Ya I think hes gonna be really good for us on passing downs coming in for Wolfe. I'm really starting to like our Dline rotation now. We have some of everything and he can develop into a real monster. Could end up being what Jernigan could have been had he been better with coaches and more consistent. I'm really excited about him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Curious to know if some of the older folks here ever gave an A grade to Yamon Figurs or Devard Darling.

Might put things in perspective :p
I can say that I probably wouldn’t have. Yamon figurs was like a John hightower type, he never looked like a receiver

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I find it funny how since the Jordan Love pick by the Packers, the media is now painting this picture of the pick being disrespectful to Rodgers, Stephen A says he should demand a trade, and just a slap to the face of Rodgers.
Well, it is