• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Nico Siragusa

The Raven

Veteran
One of the main reasons I want Lewis at RT and Siragusa at LG is simple: it maximizes our talent. If we have Lewis at LG, we have jack shit at RT, while still having a very capable LG waiting in the wings. By starting both of them, you're getting the most out of your roster. In the Super Bowl run, Harbs made the decision to move KO to LG, play Oher at RT, and McKinnie at LT. Why? "We want to play the best five," Harbaugh said. And Joe hardly got touched for four games. Why play Lewis at LG, when he is the prototype RT in skill set, build, and athleticism, when you have a wide open hole at RT?

I totally understand the idea that Lewis could be an All Pro guard. But that's not the best situation for the team in my eyes. And I'm convinced he could be an all pro RT in time. He's the prototype. Long, strong, decently mobile, and from the Big 10. That's the magic formula.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
One of the main reasons I want Lewis at RT and Siragusa at LG is simple: it maximizes our talent. If we have Lewis at LG, we have jack shit at RT, while still having a very capable LG waiting in the wings. By starting both of them, you're getting the most out of your roster. In the Super Bowl run, Harbs made the decision to move KO to LG, play Oher at RT, and McKinnie at LT. Why? "We want to play the best five," Harbaugh said. And Joe hardly got touched for four games. Why play Lewis at LG, when he is the prototype RT in skill set, build, and athleticism, when you have a wide open hole at RT?

Yep the OLines dominance was the key to that Super Bowl run.

Hurst really isn't as bad as he once was... Rookie year aside, he truly hasn't been terrible. If he has one fatal flaw, it's run blocking, not pass protection. The guy is really quick and held his own, when he was in, last year.
Yeah, I'm not so sure ... I can't remember all the games that Hurst was called upon to play, but he was horrific vs. the Raiders and it wasn't just when he had to deal with Mack. I swear they were standing on the sidelines drawing straws to see who would get to rush off of Hurst's side.

So - he's a backup and you have to expect a drop off, but anyone entertaining the thought that he could take the RT spot as a starter has a death wish for Joe Flacco.
[doublepost=1495819008,1495818234][/doublepost]
I'm just a firm believer that the Lewis to Right Tackle idea is significantly more prevalent among media/fans than it is for the FO. Every statement out of them seems to insist that the ideal goal is to keep Lewis at LG. If I remember correctly- Lewis was tried out at RT a couple times during his rookie camp and the team didn't feel comfortable with him there- this was also reinforced by the choice to put Hurst at RT over him against the Bengals last year. His run at LT, though respectable considering the circumstances, does not tend to inspire as great of success on the edge as people think. He even stated afterwards that he was ideally going to stay at guard-- though his tone has changed this offseason.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...At-Guard/7434db43-3db1-4ed8-8fb7-f979effa74ee

I think if Lewis is kicked out to RT, you get a "Kyle Long in 2015" where he was bad for the first half of the season then serviceable for the second half of the season, and was a Pro Bowl alternate because of reputation. Considering that Lewis probably isn't as talented as Kyle Long, I don't think the move would really be worth it.
You may be right - but the reason that so many fans see us needing to kick Lewis out to RT is because they aren't seening any RT starting options on the current roster. If the FO is set on keeping him at LG, they didn't seem to draft that way. Our RT options are Nembot, Wesley and Hurst. Am I missing someone? So maybe they think one of them is starter worthy, but few fans would think that. Maybe they think they're going to get a cast off from another team that is going to be a starter for us. That seems like wishful thinking. Looking at our current roster, it is hard to envision a starting lineup on the o line that any fan is going to be comfortable with, if you have Lewis at LG.

The Raven

Veteran
Yeah, I'm not so sure ... I can't remember all the games that Hurst was called upon to play, but he was horrific vs. the Raiders and it wasn't just when he had to deal with Mack. I swear they were standing on the sidelines drawing straws to see who would get to rush off of Hurst's side.

So - he's a backup and you have to expect a drop off, but anyone entertaining the thought that he could take the RT spot as a starter has a death wish for Joe Flacco.
[doublepost=1495819008,1495818234][/doublepost]
You may be right - but the reason that so many fans see us needing to kick Lewis out to RT is because they aren't seening any RT starting options on the current roster. If the FO is set on keeping him at LG, they didn't seem to draft that way. Our RT options are Nembot, Wesley and Hurst. Am I missing someone? So maybe they think one of them is starter worthy, but few fans would think that. Maybe they think they're going to get a cast off from another team that is going to be a starter for us. That seems like wishful thinking. Looking at our current roster, it is hard to envision a starting lineup on the o line that any fan is going to be comfortable with, if you have Lewis at LG.

What about week 17? He looked pretty decent then. I'm not saying he's a starter yet, but he can continue to be a backup. Keep in mind I'm "grading on a curve" because the quantity of quality NFL linemen is astonishingly low.

What about week 17? He looked pretty decent then. I'm not saying he's a starter yet, but he can continue to be a backup. Keep in mind I'm "grading on a curve" because the quantity of quality NFL linemen is astonishingly low.
That game was such a horror show, I have to admit I decided to go do something better with my Sunday afternoon.

I'm not sure one game at the bitter end of a lost season for both teams is an indicator of what a guy can do. So to your final point - I agree ... I'm OK with him being on the roster as a backup I hope we never have to use, but I cannot fathom entertaining the possibility that he'll be our starter at RT. Problem is - I don't see anyone I want starting at RT.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping we sign Mangold still. Don't know what to think of Elumenor.

Stanley-Siragusa-Mangold-Yanda-Lewis.

I do think Lewis could be a good RT, but not as good as Wagner. I think that Siragusa is going to be a day one starter. I feel like if that oline could be DECENT. Not great, but DECENT, then the offense should be average.

But seriously. We should have focused more of the offseason on this. I love Siragusa, but we needed more.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The fact that someone like Mangold isn't signed yet, means teams just don't think he can go another season. I wouldn't mind bringing him in though as a player coach for some of the young centers on the team to learn from.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I like Nico cause he seems like he could be that mauler. Was watching America's game and missed KO. Anyway, was thinking, what if the plan is to move Yanda to RT, even if it would somewhat waste him, but possibly get the best out of the current group.

Would also be surprised if the offense isn't heavily addressed next off season. I don't see anyway they don't unless some CRAZY defensive talent falls in the draft next year. That's part of why I see the team really taking off for the 18 season when most of the teams needs are actually met.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The fact that someone like Mangold isn't signed yet, means teams just don't think he can go another season. I wouldn't mind bringing him in though as a player coach for some of the young centers on the team to learn from.

Mangold gave up 0 sacks and only 2 hits for the whole of last season. He is an elite Pass protector..number 2 via PFF. Issue now is his run blocking.
[doublepost=1496087113,1496087070][/doublepost]
I like Nico cause he seems like he could be that mauler. Was watching America's game and missed KO. Anyway, was thinking, what if the plan is to move Yanda to RT, even if it would somewhat waste him, but possibly get the best out of the current group.

Would also be surprised if the offense isn't heavily addressed next off season. I don't see
anyway they don't unless some CRAZY defensive talent falls in the draft next year. That's part of why I see the team really taking off for the 18 season when most of the teams needs are actually met.

trust me, if we're in the top 5 picks, ozzie is taking minkah fitzpatrick.

The Greek

Veteran
left tackle was a bad spot for hurst. i believe he has better potential at either guard or rt with the right coach to help him which i believe we now have.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm hoping we sign Mangold still. Don't know what to think of Elumenor.

Stanley-Siragusa-Mangold-Yanda-Lewis.

I do think Lewis could be a good RT, but not as good as Wagner. I think that Siragusa is going to be a day one starter. I feel like if that oline could be DECENT. Not great, but DECENT, then the offense should be average.

But seriously. We should have focused more of the offseason on this. I love Siragusa, but we needed more.
Wagner was not a good run blocker, he was only average. I see Lewis as a better run blocker and Wagner definitely wouldn't have fit in our new power scheme. I'm. Fan of kicking Lewis out to RT because I feel he fits much better than at LG. Not saying he couldn't improve on his 1st year, but feel he would be better at tackle. Plus to add onto @The Raven we could get our top 5 players on the field.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It would be ideal for Siragusa to work out at center, keep Lewis guard. This will necessitate making a move for a serviceable RT but gives, in theory a very strong LT through RG.

It is more likely in my estimation that Lewis makes the move to RT and that Siragusa starts at left guard.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it would be great if Siragusa could win any position on the OL since it would instantly make us better. Where has he practiced because we can all talk about how he'd be a great LG or C but until he practices there it's a moot point because he likely won't play there. I think the starting OL will be Stanley | Lewis | Jensen | Yanda | Hurst but I wouldn't be surprised if Yanda played RT and Urschel played RG. I personally like an OL with Siragusa at LG but I think the team really likes Lewis at LG and intends to keep him there.

The Raven

Veteran
I think it would be great if Siragusa could win any position on the OL since it would instantly make us better. Where has he practiced because we can all talk about how he'd be a great LG or C but until he practices there it's a moot point because he likely won't play there. I think the starting OL will be Stanley | Lewis | Jensen | Yanda | Hurst but I wouldn't be surprised if Yanda played RT and Urschel played RG. I personally like an OL with Siragusa at LG but I think the team really likes Lewis at LG and intends to keep him there.

I don't want Urschel anywhere near the starting spot unless he shows drastic improvement. He gets thrown around like a toy.

I don't want Urschel anywhere near the starting spot unless he shows drastic improvement. He gets thrown around like a toy.

He's more focused on his studies than football, I mean education is important and everything but your employer is paying you nearly $700K a year.

The Raven

Veteran
He's more focused on his studies than football, I mean education is important and everything but your employer is paying you nearly $700K a year.
At first, when people mentioned it during the season, I felt like that was a reactionary opinion, but as I look back, he was noticeably smaller and weaker than in his rookie year, when he actually showed promise.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Am eager to see how the starting lineup works.

But we will probably fuck it up with
Stanley-Lewis-Siragusa-Yanda-Hurst

Hurst lmao. When will we ever learn???