• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Cuts Tracker

The Raven

Veteran
'
Sources on this :p?

That, and Roman will occasionally put a TE at the fullback position as well for certain plays IIRC. So FB will likely be a rotation of Boyle and Ricard. No permanent starter.

That kinda makes me sad though. I had flashbacks to Leach on a few of Ricard's blocks.
I think Ricard will be an even better blocker than Leach. Despite being 40 pounds heavier, he's faster than Leach was. Once he figures out how to do it, he'll be a terror. He'll be slaughtering today's 230 pound LBs on iso plays.

The Raven

Veteran
I don't think 5wrs is too few given that the guys who would be the 6th guy aren't gonna see the field anyway
You're not wrong, especially since we rarely go 4 wide, let alone 5, but I think 6 is the ideal number for WR. Obviously, with our team's love for TEs and RBs in the passing game, WRs don't play as big a role.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think Ricard will be an even better blocker than Leach. Despite being 40 pounds heavier, he's faster than Leach was. Once he figures out how to do it, he'll be a terror. He'll be slaughtering today's 230 pound LBs on iso plays.
The only issue I've got is that generally a FB nowadays is more like Juice was. Solid blocker but could do a lot more. I don't want Ricard doing anything else besides blocking and that would give the defense an idea of what play we're gonna run. I sadly feel as if he's gonna be a short yardage guy.

Which should terrify other teams.

Truth be told though. I miss Leach. I'd be a hell of a lot more confident with a lead blocker like him. Having him was like having another olinemen out there.

The Raven

Veteran
Maybe later in the season they can even hand the ball to him in short yardage situations as well
On occasion. Do it too much and teams will catch on and stuff it. But he can absolutely be a weapon on dives, or maybe even screens with his freakish athleticism.

The Raven

Veteran
The only issue I've got is that generally a FB nowadays is more like Juice was. Solid blocker but could do a lot more. I don't want Ricard doing anything else besides blocking and that would give the defense an idea of what play we're gonna run. I sadly feel as if he's gonna be a short yardage guy.

Truth be told though. I miss Leach. I'd be a hell of a lot more confident with a lead blocker like him. Having him was like having another olinemen out there.
Two trains of thought with today's fullbacks: An athlete like Juice, or a DL/OL/LB/TE who can be a crushing blocker, like Seahawk DT Will Tukuafu. I kind of prefer the second. You get a guy who be contribute in multiple roles. Fullback really isn't that hard a position. You just have to be decently athletic, strong as shit, and eat nails for breakfast. Most DL and many TEs/LBs can do that. I'd rather have a nasty blocker than an athlete who can also catch passes. Fullbacks need to be a hammer and a road grader, something Juice rarely was. Might as well get a 2 for 1 deal, especially since most fullbacks play less than half the snaps. Get a guy like Ricard who can be a 3rd down rusher on defense and a 3rd down pounder on offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Well ricard has been lined up at tight end as well so I could see him coming in with another tight end and then running different looks with ricard there

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but would y'all take a chance on Jeremy Kerley?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It's pretty normal to only keep three backs. One of our front seven guys, Ricard, will likely be the fullback.

The five wideouts are harder to fathom. I have a feeling there's another move to make. However, Roman has always preferred 2 TE offenses. Maybe there will be fewer multi-WR sets. I dunno, but I do know the roster isn't set. My only concern is WR depth.
Regarding backs and WRs, 3 is fine under normal circumstances but the fact that Woodhead is coming off ACL and getting hammies nicked already and our alternative is Buck Allen who averages about 2y, I really wish we used some of those DL/LB spots to bring in more help, at the expense of Correa/ZDS/Henry/Wormley who don't make any difference for what we'll do on defense.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Jags fans seem to be really upset about the Bowanko trade.
Which site? I was reading some commments and they just just seemed interested in what the details were. I did read a few that were worried about depth and injuries.when some Ravens fans ask about him, they indicated he plays okay but can get pushed around at times.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Which site? I was reading some commments and they just just seemed interested in what the details were. I did read a few that were worried about depth and injuries.when some Ravens fans ask about him, they indicated he plays okay but can get pushed around at times.

Bowanko was supposed to be the Center of the future under the Bradley coaching admin, but due to the constant movement of Jags OL (signing Wisniewski in 2015 and moving Linder to C in 2016), he was always kind of brushed under the rug. He wasn't a guy who was lighting people up on the field, but he was solid enough that he wasn't getting much attention. He never beat out unremarkable guys like Beadles, Cann or Omameh which is a bit of a red flag, but he is a solid depth guy.

Getting back to why Jags fans are upset, a lot of them feel like he's a better guard than Cann and that the depth along their entire OL is pretty shot. Bowanko was competing to start at Right Guard up until the last preseason game, but may have lost out because he is in a contract year and the Jags are more focused on the future than winning now.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't think 5wrs is too few given that the guys who would be the 6th guy aren't gonna see the field anyway

I think The Ravens technically have 6 wideouts since Vince Mayle was a wide receiver being asked to play more at tight end after The Ravens lost Darren Waller and Dennis Pitta.