• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So my big board is nearly set so I'm just finishing it off and finally came to the dilemma around antonio callaway who some could argue has the tape of maybe the 4th/5th best receiver in the class but my question going in was whether i should even put him on the board:

the answer is no and here are just a couple of reasons why...
  1. this is what his sources tell us part of lance zierlein's prospect overview of him says: "
    "I just watched him. Really natural athlete and pretty good player but there are just too many headaches to deal with so I can't see us taking a chance on him. Our owner will say no and I don't even think we would put him on our board to be honest." -- AFC team pro personnel director" - i think there's a fairly high chance that the Ravens are that team
  2. i was looking at the way the title ix hearing went and turns out it was a sham to begin with - the "independent" hearing officer was a gators booster for the football and basketball programs and the female student thus boycotted the hearing on those grounds - the case has prompted a federal investigation into UF's handling of the case - im just going to put callaway's defence of himself that led to him being cleared - he said he was “so stoned I had no interest in having sex with anyone” which is not really a defence at all - but even if true indicates bad judgement and a problem with marijuana which he's since had more problems with
  3. the charge of sexual assault itself likely takes him off the raven's draft board anyway just the suspicion is likely enough
  4. he's been suspended for other off the field problems including weed

so he's not on my big board which now has 185 players on it

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So my big board is nearly set so I'm just finishing it off and finally came to the dilemma around antonio callaway who some could argue has the tape of maybe the 4th/5th best receiver in the class but my question going in was whether i should even put him on the board:

the answer is no and here are just a couple of reasons why...
  1. this is what his sources tell us part of lance zierlein's prospect overview of him says: "
    "I just watched him. Really natural athlete and pretty good player but there are just too many headaches to deal with so I can't see us taking a chance on him. Our owner will say no and I don't even think we would put him on our board to be honest." -- AFC team pro personnel director" - i think there's a fairly high chance that the Ravens are that team
  2. i was looking at the way the title ix hearing went and turns out it was a sham to begin with - the "independent" hearing officer was a gators booster for the football and basketball programs and the female student thus boycotted the hearing on those grounds - the case has prompted a federal investigation into UF's handling of the case - im just going to put callaway's defence of himself that led to him being cleared - he said he was “so stoned I had no interest in having sex with anyone” which is not really a defence at all - but even if true indicates bad judgement and a problem with marijuana which he's since had more problems with
  3. the charge of sexual assault itself likely takes him off the raven's draft board anyway just the suspicion is likely enough
  4. he's been suspended for other off the field problems including weed

so he's not on my big board which now has 185 players on it
He most definitely won't be on the Ravens board but some other team will take him.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's at least the second best route runner in the class. In my top 5.

Moore
Pettis
Ridley
Hamilton
Miller
Idk dude just the fact that you have Pettis and Hamilton in the top 5 means you need to watch more receivers.

I like when people have differing opinions but that’s just ludicrous.

Kirk is one of those guys whose game you just know is going to translate.
I really want him in the 2nd round. In fact I want him more in the 2nd round then anyone in the first round. He would be such a great pick there and would bring instant production here. Not to mention we could use someone who can make plays in the slot.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Idk dude just the fact that you have Pettis and Hamilton in the top 5 means you need to watch more receivers.

I like when people have differing opinions but that’s just ludicrous.
I think he's talking about the route running only. In which case both clearly have their place in the top 5.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really want him in the 2nd round. In fact I want him more in the 2nd round then anyone in the first round. He would be such a great pick there and would bring instant production here. Not to mention we could use someone who can make plays in the slot.
Also a fantastic work ethic. I agree, the value we would get landing him in the second would be outrageous

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also a fantastic work ethic. I agree, the value we would get landing him in the second would be outrageous

there's just so many wrs who could/will be available in the 2nd round...
on my big board between rank 22 and 38 I have 3 TEs and 6 WRs - some of them may go in round 1 but surely 1 or 2 of them will be available at pick 52... and if they all arent available then the likelihood is that a premium player at another position is going to be available although im frankly not sure what position that might be

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think he's talking about the route running only. In which case both clearly have their place in the top 5.
Definitely not talking about strictly route running. I like DJ Moore but there’s nothing on tape that you can convince me makes him a top 5 route runner, let alone #1. Ridley is #1 and it’s not up for debate.

That’s his top 5 receivers..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not sure id put pettis there though... you got ridley, hamilton, miller, moore, and kirk, then you also have st brown and gallup who id also say are without question better route runners than pettis. pettis hasnt had a ton of success outside of post routes, hes really good at selling one deep route and running another(like selling a fade and cutting in for the post) but shit james washington does that really well too and he isnt half the smooth fluid runner that pettis is.

idk man, im just not seeing it with pettis. he looks so damn average to me and i wouldnt touch him til the 4th at the earliest.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
not sure id put pettis there though... you got ridley, hamilton, miller, moore, and kirk, then you also have st brown and gallup who id also say are without question better route runners than pettis. pettis hasnt had a ton of success outside of post routes, hes really good at selling one deep route and running another(like selling a fade and cutting in for the post) but shit james washington does that really well too and he isnt half the smooth fluid runner that pettis is.

idk man, im just not seeing it with pettis. he looks so damn average to me and i wouldnt touch him til the 4th at the earliest.
You say im too much of a Pettis lover i think you just dont like the guy tbh. Hes going to get drafted on day 2. I also wouldnt be surprised if Hamilton gets drafted on day 2 either. Hes a plug and play slot reciever and maybe the most NFL ready WR in this class

Between Gallup, Pettis, and Hamilton im not sure theres anyone who will have more of an instant impact outside of day 1 with WRs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Definitely not talking about strictly route running. I like DJ Moore but there’s nothing on tape that you can convince me makes him a top 5 route runner, let alone #1. Ridley is #1 and it’s not up for debate.

That’s his top 5 receivers..
not true, his savvy and creativity jump off the tape despite the limited route tree. he has limited opportunity to show off his route ability, but when given the opportunity he is fully consistent. watch his game vs UCF, this was the last game before they had to scrap the entire playbook, bordenschlager or however tf you spell it totally fucked him in a game where he couldve hung 3 deep bombs for TDs on them, he consistently outclassed a defense with 3 nfl defenders on it, he just looked to be on another level mentally from those guys with his route savvy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You say im too much of a Pettis lover i think you just dont like the guy tbh. Hes going to get drafted on day 2. I also wouldnt be surprised if Hamilton gets drafted on day 2 either. Hes a plug and play slot reciever and maybe the most NFL ready WR in this class

Between Gallup, Pettis, and Hamilton im not sure theres anyone who will have more of an instant impact outside of day 1 with WRs.
i have no problem with pettis as a guy, idk what there is to dislike, but his game, thats what i dont like. hes built like jack skellington, he has build up speed rather than true explosive speed, he isnt super sudden or shifty, his catch ability is nothing special, hes like a more meh version of st brown.

assuming none of these guys go day one, i think gallup, washington, miller, st brown, hamilton, tate, coutee, wilson, cain, all seem to be more likely to contribute as a wr day one, and many of those guys are far from their ceiling where i think pettis is pretty close to his.

if pettis had better acceleration and a more explosive change of direction, i would be a fan, i just dont think that the things he does well synergizes. for example, james washington, slow buildup speed and stiffness, but he works the stem of his route really well to gain good positioning and then uses his thick frame and gorilla arms to shield off and attack the ball like no other in this class, miller is short as shit and not very fast but he is lightning quick to give himself *enough* separation to make aggressive plays on the ball, pettis doesnt have that suddenness to give himself the separation he needs on those quick release routes, and he doesnt have the physical ability to make the same plays on the ball downfield that a guy like washington does. i just dont see it with him lol.

we'll never agree on this, and thats fine, this place is made for debating and discussing. if youre right and im wrong, props to you, but i dont think thats the case lol.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
not true, his savvy and creativity jump off the tape despite the limited route tree. he has limited opportunity to show off his route ability, but when given the opportunity he is fully consistent. watch his game vs UCF, this was the last game before they had to scrap the entire playbook, bordenschlager or however tf you spell it totally fucked him in a game where he couldve hung 3 deep bombs for TDs on them, he consistently outclassed a defense with 3 nfl defenders on it, he just looked to be on another level mentally from those guys with his route savvy.
I didn’t say he’s terrible or anything. But I could name 5 guys who are better route runners than Moore at this moment.