• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Rookies, The Bad and the Browns

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
can we take a second to talk about deshon elliott... if he keeps playing like this and miraculously doesnt get hurt, then hes gonna develop the reputation of hardest hitter in the league, he was an absolute fucking missile and had NO regard for his or anyone elses well being, and fuck kareem hunt in particular i guess, he was trying to end his big ass every time he touched the ball. i dont see any way he can possibly start 16 games playing the way he does but holy shit is it fun to watch. i just hope that he doesnt end up hurting a teammate

Simba

Staff Member
tbf this is also how we used him last year (in terms of his snaps) - the notable difference here is that they seem to be dropping him at a slightly lesser rate than last year - but hard to say definitively based off a 1 game sample size

i was hoping he'd get more looks on early downs but its telling that as soon as we get to 3rd and medium or 2nd and long etc. Tyus is on the field

that does mean that his snap counts will be reliant on how the other teams do on early downs which puts a cap on how prolific he can be but positive signs early that the jump he made down the stretch last year continued through the stilted offseason and into this year (cant wait to see how he did on the coach's film)

Just let the guy be Antwan Barnes at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
can we take a second to talk about deshon elliott... if he keeps playing like this and miraculously doesnt get hurt, then hes gonna develop the reputation of hardest hitter in the league, he was an absolute fucking missile and had NO regard for his or anyone elses well being, and fuck kareem hunt in particular i guess, he was trying to end his big ass every time he touched the ball. i dont see any way he can possibly start 16 games playing the way he does but holy shit is it fun to watch. i just hope that he doesnt end up hurting a teammate

coaches were hyped when he hit hunt

tbf gerry sandusky said he came downhill better and more violently than any other DBs during training camp - im glad we got to see it here in week 1

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I really hope he doesn’t turn into Sendejo

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'd also like to point out how casually analysts just gloss over our win to trash the Browns "performance." It's CRAZY to me that this is the Ravens norm. I know how last year went, but it still doesn't feel right yet. He's 20-3 as a starter. This is so damn hard to adjust from the grind it out games against teams we should dominate.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Can anyone tell me how elliot did in cvg? I wanna know how our deep cvg will look vs teams that like to air it out

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd also like to point out how casually analysts just gloss over our win to trash the Browns "performance." It's CRAZY to me that this is the Ravens norm. I know how last year went, but it still doesn't feel right yet. He's 20-3 as a starter. This is so damn hard to adjust from the grind it out games against teams we should dominate.

we've gone from grinding out wins (or not wins) against teams we should dominate to dominating teams that should be challenging us

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can anyone tell me how elliot did in cvg? I wanna know how our deep cvg will look vs teams that like to air it out

hard to say until the coach's film comes out (should be some time in the next 12 hours or so) - from the broadcast angles i felt like he maybe played it safe in his first start (didnt want to get beaten over the top so didnt range over as quickly as he can) - but this is complete conjecture based on my feelings watching the game in real-time

so ill delay actual judgement until we get that film

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Is the Niners game the last time Lamar actually finished a 4th quarter in the regular season?
He finished the 2nd Cleveland game in week 16. Before that, he finished the week 14 game against the Bills (Ravens played SF in week 13).

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'm just gonna enjoy it while it lasts because this dude hits harder than Pollard without the slow speed and bad attitude to go along with it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean I get the point though.
1. A lot of analysts expected us to blow out the Browns, and we did.
2. A lot of people liked the Browns as a much improved team this year (including myself and I'm still not sold it won't happen). And they didn't look the part on Sunday.

Its hard to really praise the Ravens that much after this one, because we basically did what we should have done. I think the media could be focusing more on the idea that we destroyed Cleveland without playing that well and with Lamar and the entire offense not really running the ball that well, but it is fair to question how much of that is related to Baker and the Browns just playing so poorly.

If you're the Browns, it was a barometer game for you. Its still early and we'll see them later in the year, but it was a litmus test to see if you've really improved off the inconsistencies of last year. And that answer, after week 1 at least, looks like an obvious no.

Ravens have 3-4 barometer games on their schedule this year. Week 3 is the obvious one, and I for one can't wait to play the Steelers twice, and I hope both teams are healthy when we do.

We haven't seen MVP Lamar vs Big Ben-led Steelers yet. Last year we got Hodges/Rudolph or whoever in the first meeting, and we played backups in the finale.

If Pittsburgh is going to be this resurgent team with Ben back, and their defense being a juggernaut that some think it will be, I want to see them prove it twice this year against this offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean I get the point though.
1. A lot of analysts expected us to blow out the Browns, and we did.
2. A lot of people liked the Browns as a much improved team this year (including myself and I'm still not sold it won't happen). And they didn't look the part on Sunday.

Its hard to really praise the Ravens that much after this one, because we basically did what we should have done. I think the media could be focusing more on the idea that we destroyed Cleveland without playing that well and with Lamar and the entire offense not really running the ball that well, but it is fair to question how much of that is related to Baker and the Browns just playing so poorly.

If you're the Browns, it was a barometer game for you. Its still early and we'll see them later in the year, but it was a litmus test to see if you've really improved off the inconsistencies of last year. And that answer, after week 1 at least, looks like an obvious no.

Ravens have 3-4 barometer games on their schedule this year. Week 3 is the obvious one, and I for one can't wait to play the Steelers twice, and I hope both teams are healthy when we do.

We haven't seen MVP Lamar vs Big Ben-led Steelers yet. Last year we got Hodges/Rudolph or whoever in the first meeting, and we played backups in the finale.

If Pittsburgh is going to be this resurgent team with Ben back, and their defense being a juggernaut that some think it will be, I want to see them prove it twice this year against this offense.
Agreed, and if we lose any of these barometer games, then there is the adversity that we totally lacked last year. We went limping into the playoffs weak and not calloused like a championship team typically needs to be

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
@JoeyFlex5 @rossihunter2 @JAAM

Looks like Marlon Humphrey was really a prison warden all day on Sunday. Good lord. Peters wasn't too shabby either. Promising start.

Nitpicking a little bit, and this is probably true of all Corners, but Marlon holds A LOT on film. Especially any route where the receivers even gets like a half a step on him.

On the one hand, it makes it a lot less likely he gets burnt deep over the top, which obviously a penalty is favorable to that. On others, like a couple of his holds on Sunday, he's doing it almost unnecessary just to keep a partial step sync with the guy.

I think teams are going to start sending video to the league of him doing it and ask the refs to adjust accordingly. I remember people saying Revis used to do the same... he'd give a little tug occasionally throughout the route just to make sure he's keeping tight on the receiver. As his speed declined, it became glaringly more obvious and he started getting burned for it.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i wish i could start getting into the coaches film for this game but it's still not been released

in fact, worryingly, the chiefs texans coaches film still isnt even available yet which is ridiculous - tons of football media is not gonna be up on time this week because nobody can access the all-22 and endzone angles