• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Rookies, The Bad and the Browns

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Eh1ce7sX0AcVTx6
What does the red box mean?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we can conclusively say Brady is nothing more than a system QB
I think we shouldn't conclusively say anything after one game.

I don't know anybody that expected Tampa's offense to be humming along in week 1, against a good defense, with no preseason.

I think the Bucs offense will look very average for at least a month or so.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My "bad" takeaways (some of these are nitty):

1. Run defense. Gotta get it cleaned up. Made all these investments in Dline and linebackers, and this was my fear. One game sample, but for about the first 20 minutes of this game, I was waiting for Ravens/Browns in Baltimore 2.0 to happen, where Chubb gets to the edge and starts breaking off 20 yard runs at will.
Not always going to be able to blow teams out by early 2nd half and have them abandon the run. Gotta play solid for 60 minutes on that end.
2. I want to see Ken's defensive notes, but our defense looked very "vanilla" to me. Maybe by design, and I try not to read too much into the 2nd half when the game is already decided, but I didn't see many exotic blitzes (or even a lot of blitzes for that matter), and its pretty clear that against a good Oline (like Cleveland has), we're not getting pressure with the same 4-5 man rushes.
Again, maybe a combination of wanting to stop the run and knowing Baker can't beat us, but just seemed to be very vanilla yesterday. Will be interested to see what we do against teams like Houston and KC, who have QBs that will shred us with that level of protection.
3. Tackling and angles taken in pursuit, especially in the run game, were poor. Likely a product of lack of preseason and live game action.
4. Interior Oline didn't play well.
5. I don't know that Lamar threw one un-pressured pass out of the pocket once Stanley went down. That's a problem.
6. Ball security was sloppy on both sides. Think we had, what, 3 fumbles (I recall at least two).

I think a lot of these things are correctable and may be a product of lack of preseason reps. Just some mistakes that would be amplified against a better team.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think what hasn't been mentioned is that this was the 1st official NFL game for our rookies. Now after this game they all know they belong here and can play in the NFL. Nobody looked out of place. I expect them to play with more confidence moving forward.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
was just a highlighted throw by the guy who screenshotted this

It's the deep pass to Hollywood, or, as I refer to it, "DAT THROW."

As a note, you can find clean version of these nextGen charts on their website. Passing charts for the Ravens will be posted here.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think what hasn't been mentioned is that this was the 1st official NFL game for our rookies. Now after this game they all know they belong here and can play in the NFL. Nobody looked out of place. I expect them to play with more confidence moving forward.

the fact that even broderick washington made an impact on debut is a bit ridiculous lol

the only 2 rookies who didn’t make an impact were both inactive... one due to injury

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the fact that even broderick washington made an impact on debut is a bit ridiculous lol

the only 2 rookies who didn’t make an impact were both inactive... one due to injury
I imagine that when madubuike is healthy he probably gets a heavy snap count, Brandon Williams is NOT Michael Pierce plain and simple, he was a liability out there

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I imagine that when madubuike is healthy he probably gets a heavy snap count, Brandon Williams is NOT Michael Pierce plain and simple, he was a liability out there
So was Judon.

Not a good day for the two highest paid defensive players on the roster.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i cant wait for madubuike - his lateral quickness is desperately needed here - he's obviously not a like-for-like replacement of brandon williams because he's not a space-eating nose tackle but he is someone i'd happily line up at 0t on some obvious passing downs to get him lined up over the centre

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Im not super football knowledgeable but Brandon Williams didnt look like a liability to be. He was pretty active when it came to defending the run and creating some quarterback pressure in my opinion.