• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Rookies, The Bad and the Browns

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
regarding judon - the RTP was annoying but this probably contributed a lot to the lack of pass rush production:

judon dropped into coverage on more snaps than he rushed the passer...

I saw the same. But also as an edge setting linebacker, he whiffed on several tackles, and got lost in the wash on run plays a lot.

Even if he's not rushing, he's usually an impact player on the edge. He had a very forgettable day.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Damn every person on ESPN is ripping Baker Mayfield. Maybe if they go 0-2 and lose to Joe Burrow and company on Thursday then maybe talk but damn every other video on their YouTube channel is ripping Mayfield.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More interesting usage numbers talking about bowser and judon:

bowser was the 3rd most used pass rusher in the game behind calais campbell and derek wolfe - with 23 pass rush snaps - and 7 coverage snaps

if that's an indicator of his usage moving forwards that's encouraging - he's not used much on 1st down but he's a weapon in obvious passing downs

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope Bowser is coming into his own, he’d be such a weapon

bowser was the 3rd most used pass rusher in the game behind calais campbell and derek wolfe - with 23 pass rush snaps - and 7 coverage snaps

if that's an indicator of his usage moving forwards that's encouraging - he's not used much on 1st down but he's a weapon in obvious passing downs
I think this is huge. Not only is he realizing his potential but the coaches are also putting him out there on plays that he can succeed. Mostly obvious passing downs. He isnt the best run defender and that became apparent last year on the long Chubb run

Simba

Staff Member

HOW THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING HIM ALL ALONG

I know you always want the best out of your players but we wasted years trying to get him to do a little bit of everything instead of just letting him do what he does best - use that speed and athleticism to get after the QB. Not saying by any means that he's becoming a 12 sack guy this year but let the guy play in this role and see what happens.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
HOW THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING HIM ALL ALONG

I know you always want the best out of your players but we wasted years trying to get him to do a little bit of everything instead of just letting him do what he does best - use that speed and athleticism to get after the QB. Not saying by any means that he's becoming a 12 sack guy this year but let the guy play in this role and see what happens.

tbf this is also how we used him last year (in terms of his snaps) - the notable difference here is that they seem to be dropping him at a slightly lesser rate than last year - but hard to say definitively based off a 1 game sample size

i was hoping he'd get more looks on early downs but its telling that as soon as we get to 3rd and medium or 2nd and long etc. Tyus is on the field

that does mean that his snap counts will be reliant on how the other teams do on early downs which puts a cap on how prolific he can be but positive signs early that the jump he made down the stretch last year continued through the stilted offseason and into this year (cant wait to see how he did on the coach's film)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think this is huge. Not only is he realizing his potential but the coaches are also putting him out there on plays that he can succeed. Mostly obvious passing downs. He isnt the best run defender and that became apparent last year on the long Chubb run

tbf on re-watch tyus really isnt at fault on that chubb run as i initially thought - it's 48, 40, 93 and 23 who were mostly the culprits - none of whom are on the team anymore

Tyus's job on that play is to take on the pullers and hold the edge which he tries to but the play doesnt really go that way anyway... the problem is onwuasor overruns (not really sure what he's looking at), same with TJ who also runs himself completely out of the play, kenny young seems to line up in the wrong place and chris wormley as a DL gets solo blocked and controlled and sealed by a TE

just awful all round that play - all the main culprits are gone though

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought our rookies played well and I can see why Tyre Phillips is starting over Fluker. Good lord. Really hope Stanley is there next week. We need a diffrent option for backup LT.

Way too many whiffs and missed tackles on defense. Secondary looked great.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf on re-watch tyus really isnt at fault on that chubb run as i initially thought - it's 48, 40, 93 and 23 who were mostly the culprits - none of whom are on the team anymore

Tyus's job on that play is to take on the pullers and hold the edge which he tries to but the play doesnt really go that way anyway... the problem is onwuasor overruns (not really sure what he's looking at), same with TJ who also runs himself completely out of the play, kenny young seems to line up in the wrong place and chris wormley as a DL gets solo blocked and controlled and sealed by a TE

just awful all round that play - all the main culprits are gone though
tony jefferson always felt the most at fault on that play to me, because he was the clean up guy, the others just failed miserably on their gap assignments, but jeffersons primary role on that play is to be sure hes not gonna break a long one, and when chubb was already cutting upfield TJ was screaming downfield about 5 yards off the mark, he looked absolutely ridiculous on that play.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
tony jefferson always felt the most at fault on that play to me, because he was the clean up guy, the others just failed miserably on their gap assignments, but jeffersons primary role on that play is to be sure hes not gonna break a long one, and when chubb was already cutting upfield TJ was screaming downfield about 5 yards off the mark, he looked absolutely ridiculous on that play.

i wouldnt say TJ was most at fault - id put it mostly on kenny and peanut, then on wormley and then TJ (and the rest of the secondary)