• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Offence and The Passing Game

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Having a elite wide receiver would help but Lamar Jackson simply needs to throw better. He only keys on Hollywood Brown and Mark Andrews while other receivers at times be wide open. That is a problem and he also overthrowing receivers. We calling out Snead, Ingram, Boykins, and etc but honestly the offense is just dysfunctional right now. It's not cause Ingram is slower, it's not cause Snead and Boykins not getting open, and etc. It really starts with Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman getting better.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lamar's lack of decisiveness, diagnosing defenses/open reads has been the storyline of the season for him for me.

I'm not saying he's terrible at it. But I could put the All-22 of every game this year and find at least 3-4 plays, if not more, where Lamar is throwing to a guy who's heavily covered and not throwing to a guy who is open by NFL standards.

They pointed it out twice in yesterdays game on air. Yesterday was the worst I've seen of it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar's lack of decisiveness, diagnosing defenses/open reads has been the storyline of the season for him for me.

I'm not saying he's terrible at it. But I could put the All-22 of every game this year and find at least 3-4 plays, if not more, where Lamar is throwing to a guy who's heavily covered and not throwing to a guy who is open by NFL standards.

They pointed it out twice in yesterdays game on air. Yesterday was the worst I've seen of it.

not seen coaches film yet but id say yesterday might have been lamar's worst game in the NFL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
idk that i buy that he's locking onto hollywood - andrews maybe - but i think hollywood has fewer targets so far through the first 4 weeks this year than this time last year (not sure if week 5 changed things) and that is despite the increased passing attempts this year and the improved health of hollywood

i think the problem is that lamar's missing more throws which makes the missed opportunities feel more important and we're noticing them more because they're often coming on misses to hollywood and andrews

idk just a thought

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had trouble finding things that Lamar did well yesterday. And he's not going to find many softer defenses to play better against...

im not sure what was more troubling for me of these poor aspects:

1) the consistent misreads
2) the poor accuracy
3) the hesitation to throw on some of those throws

the only positive is that his pocket movement was still incredible even in a bad game

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
im not sure what was more troubling for me of these poor aspects:

1) the consistent misreads
2) the poor accuracy
3) the hesitation to throw on some of those throws

the only positive is that his pocket movement was still incredible even in a bad game
The misreads are really bothersome.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
cant say for sure before the a-22 comes out but looks to me like Proche got himself open for a potential conversion on the 4th down that lamar overthrew to andrews

he had 6 snaps this week (although think 1 was a kneel) but from what i can see so far i think all 5 were passing plays with him out on the route

purp

Practice Squad
I was frustrated with Lamar after the Chief’s game but as I’ve had a couple weeks to think about it I realized (in my opinion) I was being pretty stupid. He’s the reigning MVP for god’s sake.

We’re talking about the NFL, where guys are paid millions of dollars to figure each other out. What makes Lamar special has always been his legs, not his arm. There was, and is, the potential for his arm to become his primary asset but his passing has never been what made him a truly great quarterback. The fact that he is such a good runner that can also really sling the ball is the X Factor. He’s terrible outside the numbers and average at going through progressions. That’s just a fact. If he throws the ball 40 times in a game, it’s going to be ugly more often than not. It probably won’t be like that forever (though it might), but for now it is.

With that in mind, all I’m seeing is a 23 year old with less than 2 seasons under his belt as a starter that is having growing pains as a passer. Combine that with not using his legs as much or as well as he did in his first and second years (for a variety of reasons), and you get what we’re seeing now...and we’re still blowing teams out on a regular basis.

I feel like, as a fan base, we’re so defensive about Lamar that we’re setting the expectations way too high and robbing ourselves of enjoying our VERY, VERY good football team.

It’s sad.