• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kliff Kingsbury just got fired by Texas Tech. Would love to add him to our coaching staff.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dont know anything about him. What does he offer?
Not as a HC but Oc. Texas Tech fielded a great big 12 offense no matter who their qb was(Mahomes, Shimonek or Bowman). What I like about his offense is he attacks and creates mismatches 24/7. And that's generally what you have to do in the nfl to win games

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not as a HC but Oc. Texas Tech fielded a great big 12 offense no matter who their qb was(Mahomes, Shimonek or Bowman). What I like about his offense is he attacks and creates mismatches 24/7. And that's generally what you have to do in the nfl to win games
So would you say he's a better X's and O's guy than he is a recruiter..

If that's the case, that's a good candidate. In college you have to be able to recruit or else you're toast as a HC. Look at CU Boulder's most recent HC they just fired. Great defensive mind, horrible recruiter. It's rare to see but sometimes coaches have both(Saban, Urban, Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly) but in college if you can't do at least one of those things, you're done. It's why I think John would actually be great in college. People love him and that, to me at least, indicates that he'd have a lot of success recruiting. It's also a big reason why a lot of these coaches don't succeed when they transition to the NFL. Jim Harbaugh is a rarity. Chip Kelly is a good example of this. Great recruiter, good X's and O's guy for college, offense at the pro level is a gimmicky one and... Well he's a dick.

It's not often you see coaches struggle in college to do well in the NFL. Would you say his offense is gimmicky? Is he a good X's and O's guy? What blocking scheme does he use? That's what we need to research when it comes to finding coordinators imho.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Interesting, we definitely need someone like that for this offense. In situations like that i just get worried we will have a good season then lose the OC. I dont want LJ to have the same situation as Joe did

Ill remember that name, thanks

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
So would you say he's a better X's and O's guy than he is a recruiter..

If that's the case, that's a good candidate. In college you have to be able to recruit or else you're toast as a HC. Look at CU Boulder's most recent HC they just fired. Great defensive mind, horrible recruiter. It's rare to see but sometimes coaches have both(Saban, Urban, Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly) but in college if you can't do at least one of those things, you're done. It's why I think John would actually be great in college. People love him and that, to me at least, indicates that he'd have a lot of success recruiting. It's also a big reason why a lot of these coaches don't succeed when they transition to the NFL. Jim Harbaugh is a rarity. Chip Kelly is a good example of this. Great recruiter, good X's and O's guy for college, offense at the pro level is a gimmicky one and... Well he's a dick.

It's not often you see coaches struggle in college to do well in the NFL. Would you say his offense is gimmicky? Is he a good X's and O's guy? What blocking scheme does he use? That's what we need to research when it comes to finding coordinators imho.
Kingsbury couldn't recruit, not many high profile HS players ended up there. I can't say much about his blocking scheme, I'm not really good at evaluating OL and understanding the scheme. But his concepts are what I really like. Uses motions to create match-up problems, i.e CB vs TE on a quick route to force a miss tackle. If you look back at his TAMU and Houston days, his system worked with Keenum and Manziel as well. He has developped every QB he's got so far, which tells you a lot about his coaching ability to develop Lamar too. This season before Bowman went down his offense was ranked n°1 again. Kingsbury counts Belichick and Mike Leach as strong influences and is said to be very detail-oriented. He's basically running a modified air raid and RPO offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Rapsheet: If USC fires coach Clay Helton, as those involved expect, one name is believed to be among their top 3 candidates: Ravens coach John Harbaugh. He joins former Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and PSU coach James Franklin. … But would USC wait for an NFL coach to finish his season?

interesting that other organisations seem fairly confident that harbs will be available this offseason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I went back and listened to harbs on rich eisen about a week ago and theres a moment where he's asked about his job and harbs drags all the insiders for having crap sources from the ravens and how repeatedly these "reports" are found lacking - how rarely they ever bare fruit

i see that basically as a direct shot about rapsheet and JLC from harbs

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I went back and listened to harbs on rich eisen about a week ago and theres a moment where he's asked about his job and harbs drags all the insiders for having crap sources from the ravens and how repeatedly these "reports" are found lacking - how rarely they ever bare fruit

i see that basically as a direct shot about rapsheet and JLC from harbs
Dude...this was a verbal warning shot. The LAST THING these two individuals want to do is make Harbaugh mad. He might be out for blood now......

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If that is true, no way, no how is he our next head coach! Wait, is he cute though? Say what you want about John, but he is very attractive. I will miss that!

You tell me

KIFFIN.TENN_1.jpg