• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

Bree's was doing very well the two years prior to going to New Orleasns. The Chargers drafting of Phillip Rivers lit a fire under his belt. Them when he injured his shoulder they let him go to New Orleans. The Dolphins must be kicking themselves for not signing him when they had the chance.
Brees was doing well but Payton elevated his play. Also when Payton got banned a whole year that team looked as bad as ever and people were talking about them being the worst in the league. I know his team hasn't been good these past few years but his FO really hasn't given him much to work with and it's amongst the worst in the league.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing I don't want is a recycled washed up head coach like Jeff fisher(still don't know how he got hired again)

I would want a smart younger guy who's good with X's and O's. I would love to see either of the pats coordinators here if it comes to that, I think McDaniels could have a Pete Carroll type of trial and error as a head coach, the man is simply brilliant and if he learned his lesson then I'd like it, and I'm also a huge fan of matt Patricia, he's another damn genius. Mike vrabel had a ridiculously fast rise to DC, maybe there's something there, Harold Goodwin resurrected Carson palmer and Arians has given rave reviews about his personality as a leader and implied that he is a legit head coach one day, mike smith and teryl Austin both had a lot of hype as potential head coaches this year and Austin has familiarity with the organization.

I also like the idea of a college coach, Chris Petersen from Washington has really skyrocketed that program and uses an NFL playbook, and according to analysts he is a real ringleader who always has his hands on everything that concerns him as a coach.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I still think we should look at Teryl Austin. Lots of success as the DC in Detriot, familiarity with the franchise, can help us re establish the defense identity(which has honestly been when we're at our best). I think this is the right move if we can't get a Sean Payton.

The trouble would be finding an offensive coordinator(I still think Marty is inevitably fired and we keep Roman to see what he's capable of..), but I think Austin would be an ideal hire if Harbaugh goes.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Okay, so this one is interesting to me because I don't have any definitive mindset about this. I like Harbaugh, I love him actually. I think moreso than anybody he's been the face of our franchise for the last decade. He's brought an identity to our team, he's a leader and nobody can deny his production. His personnality has helped Ozzie recruit some very good veteran players for a low price like we've seen this offseason again.

However what I'm questionning right now is if his coaching is still working. True, he's loved by the players, but other coaches in the league are loved by their players and can't get results. Since 2012 our record is bad, it's been 4 years now of counter production. As a longtime sports fan, I've witnessed times and times again coach's philosophy get tired with their teams. It's just a reality of sports, you can't be a winning coach for the same franchise for your whole life. My fear is that this is what Harbs is experiencing right now. In a sense, I'm jealous of franchises like the Rams, the Bills, the Broncos or the Falcons, where a simple change in the coaching staff has given new life to the team.

I believe hiring a defensive mind as our HC and promoting Roman as an OC could give us a huge boost. A guy like Patricia would make our defense truly elite and unpredictable, while Roman would make our offense run centered while not using Flacco too much and giving him a better OL (provided we focus on it in the offseason of course).

Then again, Harbs is a very good coach and this would hurt me to let him go.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Okay, so this one is interesting to me because I don't have any definitive mindset about this. I like Harbaugh, I love him actually. I think moreso than anybody he's been the face of our franchise for the last decade. He's brought an identity to our team, he's a leader and nobody can deny his production. His personnality has helped Ozzie recruit some very good veteran players for a low price like we've seen this offseason again.

However what I'm questionning right now is if his coaching is still working. True, he's loved by the players, but other coaches in the league are loved by their players and can't get results. Since 2012 our record is bad, it's been 4 years now of counter production. As a longtime sports fan, I've witnessed times and times again coach's philosophy get tired with their teams. It's just a reality of sports, you can't be a winning coach for the same franchise for your whole life. My fear is that this is what Harbs is experiencing right now. In a sense, I'm jealous of franchises like the Rams, the Bills, the Broncos or the Falcons, where a simple change in the coaching staff has given new life to the team.

I believe hiring a defensive mind as our HC and promoting Roman as an OC could give us a huge boost. A guy like Patricia would make our defense truly elite and unpredictable, while Roman would make our offense run centered while not using Flacco too much and giving him a better OL (provided we focus on it in the offseason of course).

Then again, Harbs is a very good coach and this would hurt me to let him go.

hes a good coach with great players. don't forget the purge when players questioned him. with average players hes exceptionally average. 10 yrs is a good run, hes had his chance. no regrets

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Unless we can get BB no way should we fire harbaugh when we shouldve fired flacco and pees years ago

at some point a fan needs to come to grips with the fact that someone is responsible for players that cant get it done

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I would try to bring Steve mariucci back to coaching. A QB guru and knows how to run a high octane offense. Made Jeff Garcia a 2 time pro bowler. He has charisma and is very innovative. However he would never allow the front office to treat his offense like a stepchild. He would want a playmaker to build around and an OLine to control the clock.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I still think we should look at Teryl Austin. Lots of success as the DC in Detriot, familiarity with the franchise, can help us re establish the defense identity(which has honestly been when we're at our best). I think this is the right move if we can't get a Sean Payton.

The trouble would be finding an offensive coordinator(I still think Marty is inevitably fired and we keep Roman to see what he's capable of..), but I think Austin would be an ideal hire if Harbaugh goes.
My opinion hasn’t changed

Purple&Black#20

Practice Squad
I like Pollard, but I'm not sure what he's really talking about "breaking up something special way too early." The defense wasn't really "special" while he was on the team and he (as well as the other FAs who left in 2013- Ellerbe, Kruger, Reed, Cary Williams) never really accomplished anything afterwards.
They cut Pollard to save 1 million. They traded Q because he had a 6 million dollar salary for the next season. They could of resigned Reed to a two year deal. Yes, he lost a step or two but like Ray did...there football IQ makes up for that. Reed, Q and Pollard were very vocal leaders and coach didn't want that. They called out players who wasn't performing.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Sean Payton running this team would be a match made in Heaven, at least in my opinion, especially if we draft a QB with a lot of potential. The defense is already in place. We just need an offensive guru running the show and a new system.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sean Payton running this team would be a match made in Heaven, at least in my opinion, especially if we draft a QB with a lot of potential. The defense is already in place. We just need an offensive guru running the show and a new system.
Agreed although im not sure sean payton is the answer.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like....

1. Jon Gruden
2. Ken Wisenhunt
3. Josh McDaniels
4. Matt Patricia
5. Teryl Austin