• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Has anyone thought about mike vrabel? He flew up the coaching ranks at blinding speed and multiple all pro players have come up under him. he could have some kind of it factor that sets him apart which has allowed him to have great success so early in his coaching career. In a way you could say he's from the bellichick coaching tree, but he played under him his whole career so it's not like he just tries to copy bills system, he has actually had to convert his system to the field himself, seeing his system from a different point of view could help him bring results better than other bellichick coaches

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They went to the playoffs in spite of Tebow. The defense kept them in games.

I agree re Pete Carroll.
Tebow led a fair share of comeback drives that year, and if they won in spite of Tebow then why were they a long shot to make the playoffs at the time of his first start? They weren't winning before he came into play

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We may have to lose the locker room. We need better assistant coaches and not just people Harbs is familiar with.

And that has been most of the problem with the coaching staff-people that Harbaugh is familiar with and that he REFUSES to fire!

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Agree, the only NE coordinator that has done well outside of NE is Bill O’Brien.
Nothing really much to write home about - three 9-7 seasons in a second worst division during those 3 years. Might have done better if it turns out he found a QB but now his D line / pass rush is gone.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone thought about mike vrabel? He flew up the coaching ranks at blinding speed and multiple all pro players have come up under him. he could have some kind of it factor that sets him apart which has allowed him to have great success so early in his coaching career. In a way you could say he's from the bellichick coaching tree, but he played under him his whole career so it's not like he just tries to copy bills system, he has actually had to convert his system to the field himself, seeing his system from a different point of view could help him bring results better than other bellichick coaches
Yeah, Mike Vrabel would be an interesting hire.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing really much to write home about - three 9-7 seasons in a second worst division during those 3 years. Might have done better if it turns out he found a QB but now his D line / pass rush is gone.
Considering he had no qb he’s done ok. I think he finally found one.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have Ray Lewis then.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have seen two games this year that unquestionably get coaches get fired. The debacle in London and the Bears game.

I think if Harbaugh adds just a couple more games like this , I believe he will be canned.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
But wasn’t Brees’ play somewhat pedestrian until he teamed up with Payton? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

You are correct

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
tbh, if we any other starting qb in lg other than manning and browns qb. We would probably only have one L. at the same time we wouldnt have no less than 3 wins with any other starting qb in nfl

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like....

1. Jon Gruden
2. Ken Wisenhunt
3. Josh McDaniels
4. Matt Patricia
5. Teryl Austin

i really think that's a good list - i hadnt really considered jon gruden before but i really enjoy him as the colour guy for MNF- he's obviously still knowledgeable and personable - i wonder if he is still a good coach at the heart of things though to be honest - if you were to bring him in he's not really coming in to fix any units at this point he's coming in to be a leader of the staff and players which i wouldnt be opposed to - but it would organisationally be very similar to harbs

ken whisenhunt is an interesting one

mcdaniels, patricia and austin though would all be fine choices as a shot in the arm for individual units at least - patricia is maybe under performing so far this year but i reckon by year's end they'll have worked it out and the pats will have a top 10 (statistical) defence again

one i hadnt really thought about but his absence from the franchise he left made me think about it a bit more:

mike mccoy - the chargers look an absolute mess in his absence in terms of on field play and look what he's done already with denver's offence - trevor siemian was good last year and while he makes some errors, he's also turned into a good qb who can open up the offence and doesnt seem to have any particular limitations beyond a few bad decisions - he's made tim tebow into a playoff game winning qb and also helped design the peyton manning broncos offence that tore the league apart with demaryius thomas - and before that he was a qb coach for jake delhomme while he was good in carolina

id not considered mccoy before but id be a big fan of him coming in especially as this would be his second head coach go round as well which means he should be able to come on strong without the mistakes setting him up for failure - im kinda disappointed we didnt replace marty with mccoy as our OC this offseason tbh

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'll agree with ravensmania, rays ego is way too big and I see no coach qualities in him.
I do. Almost everybody in the NFL has above average ego. Ray's is way above that but he has a lot to offer. Knows everything about defense, is a master film analyst and has coached on the field for good part of 17 years. Would command lot of respect, too.

I'm just not sure he wants to do any coaching at this stage but I wouldn't hesitate a second to bring him in as an assistant D coach and give him a start and natural progression toward HC role.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mccoy did great in San Diego with that terrible o-line. If not him, I want some kind of offensive guru.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I do. Almost everybody in the NFL has above average ego. Ray's is way above that but he has a lot to offer. Knows everything about defense, is a master film analyst and has coached on the field for good part of 17 years. Would command lot of respect, too.

I'm just not sure he wants to do any coaching at this stage but I wouldn't hesitate a second to bring him in as an assistant D coach and give him a start and natural progression toward HC role.
Yes, but there is such a thing as being too smart. Magic Johnson had some of the highest basketball IQ ever yet was miserable as a HC despite being personable and commanding a ton of respect. Ray Lewis held himself to such a high standard, that with his ego, I feel like he'd be a coach who alienates a lot of people on the team.

Now, I think Ray would be a good executive. He'd be able to recognize what player is doing what correctly, especially on the defensive end. But coach? Nope.

K-Dog

MVP
Yes, but there is such a thing as being too smart. Magic Johnson had some of the highest basketball IQ ever yet was miserable as a HC despite being personable and commanding a ton of respect. Ray Lewis held himself to such a high standard, that with his ego, I feel like he'd be a coach who alienates a lot of people on the team.

Now, I think Ray would be a good executive. He'd be able to recognize what player is doing what correctly, especially on the defensive end. But coach? Nope.

I would argue a positions coach. Not a head or a D.C. ( although I could be persuaded to try him at D.C. )

If we were to move on from Harbaugh, then I really would want Sean Payton, I think he would completely change this offense and would put pressure on the FO to take surrounding Joe with talent seriously. I think the good thing about the Ravens is that they have a culture that demands that the defense is the for-front of the team but Payton would bring a serious offense here.

I know Drew Bree's is great but I think Sean Payton had plenty to do with his growth. Through his first five seasons he was a good QB but no one really had any idea he would grow into potentially one of the five greatest QBs to play the game. Through his first five Seasons in San Diego he couldn't get to 4,000 yards passing nor could he pass for 30+ TDs. His first season in New Orleans he throws for nearly 1,000 more yards and has makes 30+ TDs in a season seem routine. I understand that Brees is a great QB but I think Payton had plenty to do with his success.

I don't think he would do the same with Joe, but I do think that he would potentially bring one of the most explosive offenses we've ever seen here.