• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Harbaugh has done a hell of a job with this team that really lacks elite playmakers.

In terms of coaching , i think we need a new offensive coordinator and thats it. I do think we may lose Wink after the season is over as he already has teams interested in him for a head coaching position. Ugh. I like what he has done. Pees would have dropped several games that Wink's defense won .

i think assuming wink's gone is a tad premature for a couple of reasons...

1) nfl teams want to make sure they get the guy - and often that's a race to snap up the "best" guys... but that race only includes coordinators not in the playoffs until they're eliminated and teams really dont want to wait for a guy they arent certain is the guy
2) the interest in wink is natural given the unit he's been coordinating but there's a big difference between interest and getting hired
3) of the vacant teams most will be looking for an offensive guru type and out of the other vacancies how many do you think wink would even find attractive (maybe im underestimating how attractive being a HC is even in a bad situation)
4) he's not the most experienced coordinator so im not sure how well equipped he is to be a HC yet...

i may be wrong and some team might be so enamoured with him that they hold off and wait for as long as it takes - but especially if we win a game (or more in the playoffs) it's gonna get harder and harder for teams not to just hire someone else especially after the colts got burned by that last year and the cardinals didnt get their guy either (for different reasons)

on top of that some teams have really short lists of candidates and the ones with the biggest candidate pools (like the browns) seem to be racing through all the interviews to make sure they have a chance at anyone they might be interested in

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Colts are a good example of waiting being an okay thing to do because it worked out for them in the end.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Colts are a good example of waiting being an okay thing to do because it worked out for them in the end.

they got extremely lucky
they new they wanted mcdaniels and they managed to get him to interview during the playoff run (same with patricia and the lions)

they didnt interview frank reich until after mcdaniels declined them (they had a 5 man shortlist and the short list was all evaporated by the time mcdaniels turned them down after agreeing to be their HC)

it's much more of a warning to organisations than it is a boon

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well we know one thing - he’s aggressive in key situations - that’s been a breath of fresh air on defence but might be pretty effective on offence too

Not that I think this should happen lol - just extrapolating

Cover 0. 4 straight plays. Sure hope we can keep him another year.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Has anyone actually confirmed if Wink is interested to be a HC somewhere? Maybe he's one of those guys that is satisfied just being a top coordinator in the league.

Cover 0. 4 straight plays. Sure hope we can keep him another year.
I agree wholeheartedly. don't want to repeat a pattern of 1 year of awesome, aggressive defensive play followed by 6 years of timid defensive play.

Our hope is that the offensive guru is the flavor of the day. Teams with young QBs that need to be developed seek offensive minded HCs. The sense is that, while you could have an OC come in and take on that task of development, if they have any success they will ultimately get poached, so you need to make them your HC.

Has anyone actually confirmed if Wink is interested to be a HC somewhere? Maybe he's one of those guys that is satisfied just being a top coordinator in the league.
Haven't heard one way or the other - only that Harbaugh gave him the vote of confidence to the league and almost sounded like he was promoting him as a candidate. Not sure why he would do that if Harbaugh knew that he wasn't interested.

Sarah Ellison‏ @sgellison 1h1 hour ago
Wink Martindale said it’s “flattering” to hear head coach chatter about him. He said all assistants aspire to be a head coach. But, he added, “I told [Harbaugh] the other day, ‘I’m 55. However long you want to go, I’d love to just be the D-coordinator here and do it with you.’”
Well, that would be great if he were to just be our DC for years to come, but that's saying that if he were offered, he'd take an HC position.

Perhaps it the money (huge difference between HC and DC money) or the prestige ... but in my career, I can either be taken out of my technical path and be put on a managerial path ... or just continue to do what I love and what I'm best at. I have always chosen the latter. It would seem more coordinators would do the same.

Again - the hopes are that GMs and owners are going to fixated on offensive creativity. Sorry, Wink - we're fans so we're selfish ... we want you here running our D forever.

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Well, that would be great if he were to just be our DC for years to come, but that's saying that if he were offered, he'd take an HC position.

Perhaps it the money (huge difference between HC and DC money) or the prestige ... but in my career, I can either be taken out of my technical path and be put on a managerial path ... or just continue to do what I love and what I'm best at. I have always chosen the latter. It would seem more coordinators would do the same.

Again - the hopes are that GMs and owners are going to fixated on offensive creativity. Sorry, Wink - we're fans so we're selfish ... we want you here running our D forever.
I guess if it was for money, team owner could easily sort that out.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wink Martindale said it’s “flattering” to hear head coach chatter about him. He said all assistants aspire to be a head coach. But, he added, “I told [Harbaugh] the other day, ‘I’m 55. However long you want to go, I’d love to just be the D-coordinator here and do it with you.’”

Kinda sounds like he's more than happy just being a DC for the remainder of his career. I would definitely hate to lose him after dealing with Pees' bullshit for way too many years.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Unless his "dream job" comes along but still good to hear.