• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I just dont see a situation where we get rid of John the team seems to love him and we just won the division in a season that most people at the bye week thought was over that takes one hell of a head coach to keep the team focused whether you like him or not he is a great motivator... I like John and want him to stay personally

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just dont see a situation where we get rid of John the team seems to love him and we just won the division in a season that most people at the bye week thought was over that takes one hell of a head coach to keep the team focused whether you like him or not he is a great motivator... I like John and want him to stay personally
Same here. I don’t think the rumors about a trade come to fruition personally.

So ... what you're saying, Peter, is he might leave ... or he might not?

upload_2018-12-31_19-50-59.jpeg

Last edited:
Same here. I don’t think the rumors about a trade come to fruition personally.
I don't think so either, but I guess there is some outside chance. I'm not sure what would make him displeased enough to want to go elsewhere. The only thing that I think could play into it is if (unbeknownst to us) there is a significant rift between him and Eric and now that Ozzie is gone, he would want to move on.

Yes, Steve said he considered moving on and maybe that hurt him a little, but I think really Steve is the kind who values these sorts of relationships and Harbs has been his guy from the start. I think if Steve wants to keep him, unless there is something deep that we're not aware of, we'll come to an agreement.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think so either, but I guess there is some outside chance. I'm not sure what would make him displeased enough to want to go elsewhere. The only thing that I think could play into it is if (unbeknownst to us) there is a significant rift between him and Eric and now that Ozzie is gone, he would want to move on.

Yes, Steve said he considered moving on and maybe that hurt him a little, but I think really Steve is the kind who values these sorts of relationships and Harbs has been his guy from the start. I think if Steve wants to keep him, unless there is something deep that we're not aware of, we'll come to an agreement.
Agreed. That’s the only question is if there’s some rift between him and Eric. There could be because perhaps Eric blames John for some bad picks and maybe John blames Eric for them etc.

Have to say it is funny having this conversation. Just 7 weeks ago, it seemed almost a foregone conclusion that Harbaugh, who was already on the hot seat, was headed for a disappointing season and was going to be replaced. I count myself among those who was not going to disagree with the FO if they decided it was a time for a change.

Now we're talking about how unlikely it is that we part ways and that we'd need significant compensation to let him go.

My how the landscape has changed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Have to say it is funny having this conversation. Just 7 weeks ago, it seemed almost a foregone conclusion that Harbaugh, who was already on the hot seat, was headed for a disappointing season and was going to be replaced. I count myself among those who was not going to disagree with the FO if they decided it was a time for a change.

Now we're talking about how unlikely it is that we part ways and that we'd need significant compensation to let him go.

My how the landscape has changed.
I wish ... would say if we are going to extend or trade him, because then we would know the opposite is going to happen, because his sources are so good

GG.exe

Practice Squad
The Ravens front office is well-known around the league as being one of the smartest.

Unlike other teams who extend their HCs and star players BEFORE they do something of merit, the Ravens have generally always dangled the carrot in front of them -- prove you deserve it kind of thing.

It's possible the Broncos are calling us up wanting him, but we're being smart (i figure) telling John we'd like him back, like him long-term, but we're not gonna reward mediocrity.

Listening to the Dan Patrick show this AM. Albert Breer was asked, who is the hottest coaching candidate this offseason. He said, the most sought after coach is coaching this weekend - John Harbaugh.

I think it is clear (based on the reports from our FO before the LAC game) that Steve wants him back and would like to work out an extension. So this move is only possible if John would want out. Who really knows if there is any credence to this speculation, or if it is just fun for analysts to talk about it.

I had thought the only way he'd leave is if there is some unreported rift between John and Eric. Breer mentioned a similar, but slightly different possibility and that is one of control. Steve (like any reasonable owner) will likely want his HC to have input on personnel decisions, but that the GM has the final say. That would not constitute a rift between he and Eric, but would be an organizational limitation. If John wants a level of control beyond that, I think we will - and should - part ways. I don't want a HC/GM. That model does not seem to work IMO.

At this point, it is not about whether "we get rid of" John. I think it has been made clear that we want him to stay. He is gone, only if he wants to go.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
If John wants a level of control beyond that, I think we will - and should - part ways. I don't want a HC/GM. That model does not seem to work IMO.
Belicheck comes into mind as it pertains to the HC/GM thing. It just happens to help to have one of the baddest QBs to have ever played this game.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Listening to the Dan Patrick show this AM. Albert Breer was asked, who is the hottest coaching candidate this offseason. He said, the most sought after coach is coaching this weekend - John Harbaugh.

I think it is clear (based on the reports from our FO before the LAC game) that Steve wants him back and would like to work out an extension. So this move is only possible if John would want out. Who really knows if there is any credence to this speculation, or if it is just fun for analysts to talk about it.

I had thought the only way he'd leave is if there is some unreported rift between John and Eric. Breer mentioned a similar, but slightly different possibility and that is one of control. Steve (like any reasonable owner) will likely want his HC to have input on personnel decisions, but that the GM has the final say. That would not constitute a rift between he and Eric, but would be an organizational limitation. If John wants a level of control beyond that, I think we will - and should - part ways. I don't want a HC/GM. That model does not seem to work IMO.
I suppose it’s only an issue if the GM gives you guys you don’t want or something. That would be the only problem because if Harbaugh doesn’t like a guy and has them forced on him then it could be a problem and may speak to some of our issues with busts. That said, I agree that you can’t have that situation. People must be on the same page or you’ll have a crisis in that area.

I think the trade talk is more or less a posturing move. I think we quelled the rumors by saying we want to work out an extension. Harbaugh’s agent probably doesn’t like what he received so far so he played the press to say Harbaugh wants out due to a rift with Eric. The Ravens probably then leak that they want 2 first round picks for John if we were to trade him. That way it’ll show Harbaugh and his agent is a re willing to let him go. I’m guessing John’s agent wants John to be the top paid HC in the league and Ravens are rightfully trying to bring down the price. I think Gruden has complicated this situation

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Belicheck comes into mind as it pertains to the HC/GM thing. It just happens to help to have one of the baddest QBs to have ever played this game.
it's also worked for Parcells, but it's rare. Coaches are here and now, GM's are planning for now and in advance. They should be two separate positions in an organization.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh has done a hell of a job with this team that really lacks elite playmakers.

In terms of coaching , i think we need a new offensive coordinator and thats it. I do think we may lose Wink after the season is over as he already has teams interested in him for a head coaching position. Ugh. I like what he has done. Pees would have dropped several games that Wink's defense won .

Harbaugh has done a hell of a job with this team that really lacks elite playmakers.

In terms of coaching , i think we need a new offensive coordinator and thats it. I do think we may lose Wink after the season is over as he already has teams interested in him for a head coaching position. Ugh. I like what he has done. Pees would have dropped several games that Wink's defense won .
Well, you won't get many arguments on these boards about needing a new OC. I haven't heard Wink mentioned in connection for interviews, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Then, we have this on BR.com:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...mmend-wink-martindale-for-a-head-coaching-job

I will be quite sad if he goes. Mattison to Pagano was a HUGE lift for this team ... then Pees came along and we were back to the Mattison approach of timid D (3 man rush and cling to leads). Pees to Wink was another huge lift. We only got 1 year of Pagano ... are we only going to get 1 year of Wink? That would suck.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh has done a hell of a job with this team that really lacks elite playmakers. .

What if harbs and his input is the reason why we lack elite playmakers though.. betas, no alphas. Mind blown.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, you won't get many arguments on these boards about needing a new OC. I haven't heard Wink mentioned in connection for interviews, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Then, we have this on BR.com:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...mmend-wink-martindale-for-a-head-coaching-job

I will be quite sad if he goes. Mattison to Pagano was a HUGE lift for this team ... then Pees came along and we were back to the Mattison approach of timid D (3 man rush and cling to leads). Pees to Wink was another huge lift. We only got 1 year of Pagano ... are we only going to get 1 year of Wink? That would suck.
New plan - trade Harbaugh after the seasons end and promote Wink.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think Wink will be offered a head coaching job. Ther are already a ton of them open. It sucks .

I really hated losing Kubiak and Wink would be a huge loss IMO