• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 5 Edition

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Imagine like 2010 or 2011 Joe. Stepped into most throws, very accurate even on his deep throws he was spot on with pretty much every one, one was slightly under but still easily caught , it just might have been a touchdown if it had traveled further. He was pretty mobile and extended some plays, one one near pick I remember , but wasn't terrible decision just a slightly overthrown ball, defender was going for the hit so he couldn't make a play on it anyways. He looked like classic Joe, not flashy with the stats but reliable and making plays , taking what is given to him and hitting those deep passes

Oh wow! Joe was looking that good huh? Kool! Can't watch to watch the game.

He just looked comfortable, and almost in control honestly. First time in a while Joe looked like himself.

In control? Again, wow! Got to see that!

I think Joe EARNED back a decent amount of your respect today. Not all. Some at least.

I have no problem giving Joe respect, credit or props when he plays well. In fact, I want to see him play well all of the time. I want my QB to play well and to look good while doing it! I'll definitely be watching the game first thing in he morning. Great bounce back win 30-17...and out West??????? I definitely expected a loss to the Raiders that is for sure but this is a very pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I can't see Sami ;) ^_^

I thought we would lose.
I mean considering the past two games it was hardly out of the question.
Either way I had us losing this one when the schedule came out anyway. I actually had us at 3-2 at this point. ( losing to Pitt in addition to today )

Good: The Ravens played as good as they could all things considered. We are on third string and back up players against a decent team. There is a lot to be proud of today.

GREAT: 0 sacks on Flacco. Flacco rarely hurried. O-Line came to work today ready to go. One penalty on the Ravens. ( when is the last time that happened ? )
Willie Henry. Zero turnovers. ^_^ Nice job team.

BAD injures. Sweet baby Jesus, please look after what is left of our team.
Brandon Williams being out.

UGLY : The commentators. All those damn trips down memory lane talking about the past. Be social later fellas. There is a football game going on. Go do your job.
With the one penalty being on a stupid mental error at that

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I LOVE The young guns we've got going on defense.
Willie Henry, Tim Williams, Marlon Humphrey, and Tyus Bowser all look like they're gonna be good players(some of them really good, and one of them has legit star potential) going forward.

Get Brandon Williams and Jaylen Hill back and wow I would not want to play us. Tavon Young coming back next season? Ha. Good luck

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I LOVE The young guns we've got going on defense.
Willie Henry, Tim Williams, Marlon Humphrey, and Tyus Bowser all look like they're gonna be good players(some of them really good, and one of them has legit star potential) going forward.

Get Brandon Williams and Jaylen Hill back and wow I would not want to play us. Tavon Young coming back next season? Ha. Good luck

only 1?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Tim Williams, if he ever learns how to properly set an edge in the run, is going to be a guy who racks up loads of pressure against anybody he's playing against and gonna get anywhere from 10-12 sacks a season. Dude has speed, some power, and plethora of pass rushing moves to become a star.
That said, Henry(could be a very good pass rushing DT), Humphrey(probably going to be a #1 corner that goes unrecognized), and Tyus Bowser(between these three has the highes ceiling imo. Could be a pro bowler ala Jamie Collins) all have the potential to be well above average players, which is a VERY good thing.

And add in Tavon Young who could become among the league's best slot CBs. With other people entering their primes such as CJ..

This defense is only gonna get better as the young dudes grow up. The future is exciting.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
The good:
We started fast today.
Joe threw it deep and didn't throw any interceptions.
The O-Line
Willie Henry
Justin Tucker

The bad:
Third quarter play calling

The ugly:
Injuries to West, Davis and Skura

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think the best thing about this game is that the ravens offense only showed up for one quarter.

Once we let up that touchdown the ravens offense went to the locker room and we let that new replacement offense and OC come back.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Also wanna point out 2 good plays by joe that we're incompletions.

The incompletion that sailed over Watson, if joe puts that throw on the money to Watson then it's a crucial pick, and that's usually a mistake joe makes every time, he put it where only his guy had a chance and if he can't make an awesome catch then you live to play another down. He usually doesn't see that LB and puts it right in his hands.

The incompletion to Boyle in the end zone, again, he gave his guy a chance to make a great catch, because if he puts it on the numbers it's a pick, that kind of throw is more common for joe though, he does well not throwing short picks in man coverage, but he gave his guy a chance as it was the best chance to score a TD but it would've been very difficult.

Joes vision seemed to change today

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I can't speak on anything....just yet! I was out so I missed the game but have it recorded. I'll watch it first thing in the morning and then come back and give my take on it. However, I am grateful for the "W" of course, but could you guys/gals tell me how the offense looked and Flacco in particular? I smoked him badly last week and would like to give him praise where it is due. Let me know.
Flacco played very well. Stepped into his throws and looked more confident. I’ll let you evaluate it before calling it a breakout.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Totally agree. Love to see purple amongst other teams colors. Glad they didn’t wear black among the crowd^_^
I think I saw a few black Ravens jerseys, but I agree. I think we play the Chargers next year in LA. If our fanbase doesn't take over that stadium, I'd be highly disappointed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
P
I think I saw a few black Ravens jerseys, but I agree. I think we play the Chargers next year in LA. If our fanbase doesn't take over that stadium, I'd be highly disappointed.
Prettynhard not to do that when only 1k fans attend the game. Obviously an exaggeration, but neither of the LA teams are getting great attendance,

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Good: Slight improvement on offense but still an average performance against a middling defense-

Finally taking shots downfield, although offense did not play great today, the Raiders defense is middling and would be one of the worst without Kahlil Mack. Take away the 2 bombs to Wallace and Flacco has 100+ scoreless yards, and finished with 220 scoreless yds on the game. That is not good passing by any stretch considering we almost blew a big lead in the 3rd Q, and should've been stuffing the stat sheet. Run game continues to be average/nothing special IMO and it sucks Alex Collins can't pass protect and be our workhorse bc Buck Allen and West are both plodders.

The Bad: Defense

For some reason we do not have a single clue or even a percentage of a clue how to cover Michael Crabtree, I guess you could say we focus on Cooper and let our #2/3 cover Crabtree but dude dropped 3Tds on us last year, would have had 2-3 today if Carr was throwing to him, and made Marlon Humphrey look childish on multiple plays

We invested our entire offseason on defense and play like trash outside of making plays, turnovers are great but the fact that we can't stop the run and get gashed on passing plays is going to hurt with Aaron Rodgers, BigBen, Minnesota Offense, Mathew Stafford and Dalton-A.j. green still left on the schedule.

My biggest problem on D is by far Eric Weddle, dude acts like he's been drafted in Baltimore, is held to the highest standard(way too overrated) and makes atleast 2-3 TERRIBLE rookie plays per game...missed tackles, poor coverage, yet he is supposedly one of our leaders hahaha Ed Reed is laughing somewhere.

Brandon Williams really needs to get healthy and start anchoring our D-line that might be without Carl Davis against Jordan Howard next week.

The Ugly: Marty Mornewhig-

Even if the Ravens out up 750yds and 10TDs on O one of these games, the ugly will always be Mornewhig. Dude is flatout mediocre, period. We will never make waves in the post season with this guy in charge of our offense. We are 5 games in and are right at the bottom with the Browns as far as offensive production goes, and this guy continues to call terrible plays, racks up more negative yardage gains than practically any other team, yet since he's Harbaughs blood brother he gets a pass.

So yay! We beat yet another easy team with injuries and a bad defense! This means absolutely ZERO

Still waiting on a stout defense that we paid for, still waiting for an offensive explosion that we are capable of outside of mornewhigs garbage antics. But honestly it may never come.
So their injuries can be used as an excuse but ours can’t? Foh

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
So their injuries can be used as an excuse but ours can’t? Foh
??? Of course their injuries are an excuse...Derek Carr would have lit our defense up (given our injuries like you say), it's a much more significant loss. Sure we lost Brandon Williams and a few others but we invested so much if our offseason on defensive depth and 1 person out makes us go from stout to average on D, you would think we could have some people step up but even before we lost Carl Davis we were getting gashed...You watch that Pittsburgh game? Leveon dropped 150 on us.

Ej Manuel threw a DUCK on a 100mile wide open Crabtree in the Endzone, Carr would have hit him.

We still got Suggs, Mosley, Solid D-linemen(on paper but apparently not really) Weddle Jefferson, and 3 solid CBs...so I'm not gonna make immense excuses. Like Harbaugh says- we have the talent, we just have to perform better. And luckily we did ok against a backup QB, I just don't think a healthy Brandon Williams would have made a world of a difference.