• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Hip-Hip, Rap Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Wiz Khalifa’s Kush & OJ is 10 years old today.

IMO the greatest musical masterpiece ever put together. It’s a hip hop mixtape but the greatness didn’t lie in the lyrical content, but in the vibes from start to finish, it paints a picture of hotel after parties, smoke filled backstage sessions with women and drinks, and just being young, care free, with nothing to do but spend your self made six figures on fine things and traveling. This mixtape turned me into a stoner for a time, it makes you wanna smoke and vibe and chill. This was a soundtrack to the most fun times of my life, lots of snapbacks and chuck taylors were purchased, Bombay sapphire became a popular drink for 18-21s, a lot of stoners put the blunts down for joints, all because of the influence of this one mixtape.

If you aren’t in my age range, or you weren’t into the hip hop scene in 2010, this may all be foreign to you, but before wiz khalifa signed a major deal and he was still independent, he was THAT dude, he put out a barrage of classic mixtapes from 07-09 and put the exclamation point on it with Kush & OJ in 2010 and just shattered the game with this one, he would never put out anything close to his mixtape quality after signing with Atlantic, and this mixtape serves as his obvious peak.

Sorry lol, I got really into describing this, I really hold this mixtape close to the heart, no collection of music hits me quite like this, kid cudis man on the moon 1 is the closest thing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lupe fiasco is probably the all time greatest combination of: “wtf is he talking about?” Levels of brilliant lyrics, and flow/sound.

There is no other rapper who just rolls double and triple entendres so fluidly and such deep hidden meanings within his metaphors without sounding off beat or lacking a ear-pleasing sound. To my knowledge only nas, black thought, and hov have this level of aptitude at both brilliant lyrical content and quality and consistent sound. You got guys like inspektah deck, rza, mos def, etc who are brilliant lyricists but they often lack the same fluidity in their songs, then you got guys like em, tech, and pun who can rattle off flows and syllables and just great bars but aren’t nearly on the lyrical level of the guys mentioned before, then you got the guys with all the flow and sound and either zero depth or legit rapping ability like a wiz or a cudi. Lupe is one of few rappers who put this level of depth and complexity with an equally crazy level of flow and rhyme and bars and sound. All time slept on.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Completely forgot this thread existed for a while lol

I’m very into meek mill at the moment - and have been for the last few months
I never really got into meek. I loved I’m a boss and a few songs off of dreamchasers, but his songs all sound too much alike and it’s just tiring and kinda bland and basic and repetitive, like once you get tired of the hype, it loses its flavor

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I never really got into meek. I loved I’m a boss and a few songs off of dreamchasers, but his songs all sound too much alike and it’s just tiring and kinda bland and basic and repetitive, like once you get tired of the hype, it loses its flavor

i love so many of the insane samples he uses - that's what got me to start listening in the first place (found samples that i knew that just happened to have meek mill verses attached)

but fell in love with championships (both the track and the album)

but each to their own i love when he goes after it though - feels both raw and slick at the same time

im still indebted to you for introducing me to king los lol

redrum52

Hall of Famer
i love so many of the insane samples he uses - that's what got me to start listening in the first place (found samples that i knew that just happened to have meek mill verses attached)

but each to their own i love when he goes after it though - feels both raw and slick at the same time

He resampled a lot of songs that had been used before. Championships was straight. Check out Benny the Butcher and Conway. Their production is top notch. Alchemist is at the top of his game and Daringer is nasty with grimy beats.

That reminded me, any of these artists have an album with some soulful production?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He resampled a lot of songs that had been used before. Championships was straight. Check out Benny the Butcher and Conway. Their production is top notch. Alchemist is at the top of his game and Daringer is nasty with grimy beats.

That reminded me, any of these artists have an album with some soulful production?

the most ridiculous and odd but weirdly amazing sample ive heard was on Lord knows where the whole instrumental is mozart - the track is both bizarre and hypnotic simultaneously

bit of a tangent but what do y'all think about j cole?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
the most ridiculous and odd but weirdly amazing sample ive heard was on Lord knows where the whole instrumental is mozart - the track is both bizarre and hypnotic simultaneously

bit of a tangent but what do y'all think about j cole?

Love the Lord Knows track. Like J Cole. Great lyricist.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Tbh I can’t even think of any standout samples in meek songs lol. I get why someone would be a meek mill fan, for me his music has its place, I just don’t see much beyond his hype music and I can only stomach so much of that, but if I’m fucking turning up lol there aren’t many better than meek.

and yeah man king Los is a low key goat. He can’t make an original song for shit but his bars are next level shit.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Tbh I can’t even think of any standout samples in meek songs lol. I get why someone would be a meek mill fan, for me his music has its place, I just don’t see much beyond his hype music and I can only stomach so much of that, but if I’m fucking turning up lol there aren’t many better than meek.

and yeah man king Los is a low key goat. He can’t make an original song for shit but his bars are next level shit.

He used the CREAM sample, Get Away from mobb deep and whats beef. Has more but all I can remember off top.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he sampled mozart, enya, amber run and phil collins lol - that's zany as shit lol

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Griselda Records is my fucking drug LMAO.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With this verzus trend that rappers have been doing since lockdown started, DMX and snoop went at it last night, there’s no official declaration of winner and loser, but based on the comment threads it seems like most are going with DMX, after 2 days of everyone saying snoop was gonna wipe the floor with DMX, have people really forgotten that DMX released 4 straight classics with multiple radio slaps and a 5th album that was solid too? Snoops playlist was half features and a third of it came out all in a one year stretch.