• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Hip-Hip, Rap Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
With this verzus trend that rappers have been doing since lockdown started, DMX and snoop went at it last night, there’s no official declaration of winner and loser, but based on the comment threads it seems like most are going with DMX, after 2 days of everyone saying snoop was gonna wipe the floor with DMX, have people really forgotten that DMX released 4 straight classics with multiple radio slaps and a 5th album that was solid too? Snoops playlist was half features and a third of it came out all in a one year stretch.
LOL at people saying Snoop will wipe the floor. I guess people also forgot that X used to wash ppl up in battles too. Ask The L.O.X. I think it was Jada who mentioned it before.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
LOL at people saying Snoop will wipe the floor. I guess people also forgot that X used to wash ppl up in battles too. Ask The L.O.X. I think it was Jada who mentioned it before.
If X stayed in the spotlight as a character the same way snoop has, the debate wouldn’t even be had imo

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm not talking all-time, but name me a better rap group/collective than Griselda Records right now. I'll wait.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not talking all-time, but name me a better rap group/collective than Griselda Records right now. I'll wait.

Can't really think of a better collective right now, but best duo is Run The Jewels, hands-down. RTJ4 is definitely my album of the year so far and is just perfect for the current times we are in.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Griselda continues to run the game right now as Westside Gunn just released Who Made the Sunshine. The Butcher and The Blade and '98 Sabres are :fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Griselda continues to run the game right now as Westside Gunn just released Who Made the Sunshine. The Butcher and The Blade and '98 Sabres are :fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame::fire: :flame:

I'm kinda underwhelmed by Who Made The Sunshine overall. It does have some great tracks, but Pray For Paris is probably my favorite WG release. Also, can we please discuss how fucking bad the beat is for "Frank Murphy"? I almost always listen to albums all the way through without skipping any tracks, but that beat is so goddamn annoying that it's an automatic skip for me.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm kinda underwhelmed by Who Made The Sunshine overall. It does have some great tracks, but Pray For Paris is probably my favorite WG release. Also, can we please discuss how fucking bad the beat is for "Frank Murphy"? I almost always listen to albums all the way through without skipping any tracks, but that beat is so goddamn annoying that it's an automatic skip for me.
The Butcher and The Blade is hands-down my fav. track. Speaking of Pray for Paris, it does sound like George Bondo which so happens to be my fav. track on that project as well. The two songs with Slick Rick were dope. Black Thought, of course, does what he always does. '98 Sabres has a dark and spooky theme to it that kinda belongs on Hitler 8 if West chooses to release it on Halloween. As for Frank Murphy, I gave it 5 seconds before changing the track. God awful.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Butcher and The Blade is hands-down my fav. track. Speaking of Pray for Paris, it does sound like George Bondo which so happens to be my fav. track on that project as well. The two songs with Slick Rick were dope. Black Thought, of course, does what he always does. '98 Sabres has a dark and spooky theme to it that kinda belongs on Hitler 8 if West chooses to release it on Halloween. As for Frank Murphy, I gave it 5 seconds before changing the track. God awful.

Yeah, I love the features on the new album. It just feels like kind of a letdown overall because West was hyping it up so much to be his best album and I definitely don't feel that way about it. I'm honestly more excited for whenever Benny releases something new because I feel like him and Conway are the most talented of the crew.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I love the features on the new album. It just feels like kind of a letdown overall because West was hyping it up so much to be his best album and I definitely don't feel that way about it. I'm honestly more excited for whenever Benny releases something new because I feel like him and Conway are the most talented of the crew.
West will hype ANYTHING Griselda as the greatest thing ever. But I agree with Benny/Conway being better. Even West has said so himself.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
West will hype ANYTHING Griselda as the greatest thing ever. But I agree with Benny/Conway being better. Even West has said so himself.

Speaking of Benny, he's supposed to release a new track tomorrow that he did with Hitboy (who did a great job on the new Nas album). GET HYPE

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Benny, he's supposed to release a new track tomorrow that he did with Hitboy (who did a great job on the new Nas album). GET HYPE
Yep. Track will have Lil Wayne and Big Sean on it. Burden of Proof, I suspect, will come out either next Friday or the 23rd.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Griselda's issue is that they have put out a ton of music recently and everything sounds like one giant song. It's exactly how I feel about Curren$y

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Griselda's issue is that they have put out a ton of music recently and everything sounds like one giant song. It's exactly how I feel about Curren$y
I see that comparison. Curren$y is okay with me but I don't really fuck with most of the new shit that he's been putting out. A track here and there and that's about it.

Griselda is a different animal. There's typically AT LEAST one song that I'll put on repeat forever. The latest one being The Butcher and The Blade. That beat though. Lord have mercy......

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I see that comparison. Curren$y is okay with me but I don't really fuck with most of the new shit that he's been putting out. A track here and there and that's about it.

Griselda is a different animal. There's typically AT LEAST one song that I'll put on repeat forever. The latest one being The Butcher and The Blade. That beat though. Lord have mercy......
I always thought curren$y was overrated, like I don’t dislike him at all and I can see why some would really fuck with his shit, but the sloppy flow and occasional head scratching word choices(like you swear a nice rhyme is coming and then he says something that totally doesn’t rhyme or even fit the scheme and you’re like wtf?) is just not for me. I’m taking wiz over him all day for king of stoner rap, but only Pre-2011 wiz.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The new Benny album is flames! Best lyricist in Griselda IMO and Hitboy killed it on the production.

Not sure who else to listens to him, but the new Open Mike Eagle album came out today too and is also flames. I think Black Thought came out with Streams of Thought 3 also, but I haven't even gotten to that yet. GREAT MUSIC DAY

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The new Benny album is flames! Best lyricist in Griselda IMO and Hitboy killed it on the production.

Not sure who else to listens to him, but the new Open Mike Eagle album came out today too and is also flames. I think Black Thought came out with Streams of Thought 3 also, but I haven't even gotten to that yet. GREAT MUSIC DAY
Agree. I think the sound was refreshing....kinda had a early 2000s Jay-Z feel to it. War Paint is my favorite as Conway murdered his verse. I believe T.I. also dropped his latest project too that has a track with both Benny and Jadakiss.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree. I think the sound was refreshing....kinda had a early 2000s Jay-Z feel to it. War Paint is my favorite as Conway murdered his verse. I believe T.I. also dropped his latest project too that has a track with both Benny and Jadakiss.

Conway's verse on that was great. That's a standout track for me too, but my favorite so far is probably "One Way Flight". Gibbs is a savage with the "hoes get fucked and sent home early like the Clippers" line lmaooo