• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Hip-Hip, Rap Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've been a fan of his for almost a decade, anybody who listens to rap will tell you that son can rap. That is not debatable.

People think all this is new with him, he has always been crazy AF and hyper passionate about what he does.

Reference Ray Lewis during a game lol
I know he can rap, but you have to admit that a massive portion of his current fanbase only knew of pump it up until he dissed drake, at which point they all jumped on a hype train because they thought it made them sound like hip hop heads.

Joe budden is a solid rapper, definitely relies on raw lyricism which is what a rapper SHOULD do, but he's far from spectacular imo, like I would just take so many lyrical rappers over him.

Oh and btw, shout out for mentioning banks, dude is a forgotten gem.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know he can rap, but you have to admit that a massive portion of his current fanbase only knew of pump it up until he dissed drake, at which point they all jumped on a hype train because they thought it made them sound like hip hop heads.

Joe budden is a solid rapper, definitely relies on raw lyricism which is what a rapper SHOULD do, but he's far from spectacular imo, like I would just take so many lyrical rappers over him.

He has more fans today than he ever did rapping, this is true. Some fans craving rap noticed him when he dissed Drake, AND BOY would that have been great to see.

Joe is in my top 50 all time

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I've been a fan of his for almost a decade, anybody who listens to rap will tell you that son can rap. That is not debatable.

People think all this is new with him, he has always been crazy AF and hyper passionate about what he does.

Reference Ray Lewis during a game lol
Same. Never really cared for Pump It Up tbh. I always liked Walk Wit Me more. And then there's the Mood Muzik mixtapes....

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Same. Never really cared for Pump It Up tbh. I always liked Walk Wit Me more. And then there's the Mood Muzik mixtapes....

I always knew who he was, I just wasn't into rap back then until I got a bit older. Pump it up was a massive record, it was in Fast and the Furious remember?

The reason I am a fan is because of the Mood Muzik series, he was Drake before Drake. Back then they said It was emo-rap and that it was depressing.

Look at rap today

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I always knew who he was, I just wasn't into rap back then until I got a bit older. Pump it up was a massive record, it was in Fast and the Furious remember?

The reason I am a fan is because of the Mood Muzik series, he was Drake before Drake. Back then they said It was emo-rap and that it was depressing.

Look at rap today
Yeah I still remember the scene too because 2 Fast 2 Furious is my all-time favorite movie of the series. With songs like Sober Up and 1000 Faces, I enjoyed Mood Muzik 4 the most.

As for rap today, I don't listen to it. It's disrespectful to what hip-hop was about.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I still remember the scene too because 2 Fast 2 Furious is my all-time favorite movie of the series. With songs like Sober Up and 1000 Faces, I enjoyed Mood Muzik 4 the most.

As for rap today, I don't listen to it. It's disrespectful to what hip-hop was about.

its filled today with rapping about being sad/hurt/and on pills....sound familiar?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I did like walk wit me. I had the debut cd when it was brand new and I was 12 years old and had that shit on repeat, that and stand up nucca, but I thought the album overall was pretty weak and the few things I've heard from him were just above average to me, nothing to jump about

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I did like walk wit me. I had the debut cd when it was brand new and I was 12 years old and had that shit on repeat, that and stand up nucca, but I thought the album overall was pretty weak and the few things I've heard from him were just above average to me, nothing to jump about

he usually sticks to what he knows best, which rapping about himself and daily struggles. I am telling you, when he decides to flex he's on another level.

He is top 50 all time in terms of ability.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
its filled today with rapping about being sad/hurt/and on pills....sound familiar?
Hmmmmmmm.................

Oh it was weak, no doubt about it. His album was too mainstream-y for my liking as least when it comes to him. His underground mixtapes, like I said before, is where he thrived.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
he usually sticks to what he knows best, which rapping about himself and daily struggles. I am telling you, when he decides to flex he's on another level.

He is top 50 all time in terms of ability.
And notice how Drake wanted no part of him lyrically. Kinda like how Nicki tried to diss Remy Ma after getting "Sh'ethered" badly.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hmmmmmmm.................

Oh it was weak, no doubt about it. His album was too mainstream-y for my liking as least when it comes to him. His underground mixtapes, like I said before, is where he thrived.

This is why the fans love him, he hated that album and hated everything that he was forced to do to become "successful" and got into a battle for almost 10 years trying to be released

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This is why the fans love him, he hated that album and hated everything that he was forced to do to become "successful" and got into a battle for almost 10 years trying to be released
Yeah I remember how much he didn't enjoy doing that album at all. Speaking of Walk Wit Me, every time I listen to this song, I get one memory and that is:
latest

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I remember how much he didn't enjoy doing that album at all. Speaking of Walk Wit Me, every time I listen to this song, I get one memory and that is:
latest

"the only way to play Joe is Def Jam Vendetta" - Pump It up freestyle

If you have never heard it, I recommend you listen to Jay-Z version first and then Joe for the response he had

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yea, especially Tupac.
To call either of them anything close to GOAT is absurd imo. Both of them are considered GOATS because they were killed at the height of their careers. One can actually argue that pac was headed for a downward spiral, with his whole makaveli and killuminati and dre dissing shit in his last year. And biggie was definitely leaning way more mainstream and he seemed like he would've been all radio singles with one more album release.

Pac:
-fans use his message to compensate for his average lyricism, despite his "message" being just as much violence and money and bitches as every other rapper
-every release of his was only above average until death row and dre beats really made him look better
-lacks complexity and innovation, same ol 1-2-1-2 rhyme structure that dates back to grandmaster flash and kurtis blow, he just did it faster with more voice emphasis

Big:
-next to no depth at all, as simple a subject matter as you can get, lots of rags to riches, brand name bragging, guns/weed/pop the bubbly, women, coogi, etc.
-considering his era he was definitely one of the innovators of complex rhyme structure, but his delivery was often monotone and lacked punch(gimme the loot aside)
-the better lyricist of the 2, but he and puffy could not put together a quality song the way pac and dre could.

And I actually like both of them a lot, I just think if you don't consider their deaths then they aren't sniffing the top 5

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow! Can't believe that I'm just seeing this thread. Well, being that I'm a "baby-boomer," my generation ushered in the true and pure nature of..."HIP-HOP". There are far too many artists and their lyrics to choose from as being my favorite. So, I'll slow roll you cats a few of the many that ole' Mili grew up on.

RUN DMC - The group the started it all! - THE KING OF ROCK

My favorite lyric is DMC's.....

"Roll to the rock, rock to the roll
DMC stands for devastating mic control
You can't touch me with a ten foot pole
And I even made the devil sell me his soul..."