• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Hip-Hip, Rap Thread

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow! Can't believe that I'm just seeing this thread. Well, being that I'm a "baby-boomer," my generation ushered in the true and pure nature of..."HIP-HOP". There are far too many artists and their lyrics to choose from as being my favorite. So, I'll slow roll you cats a few of the many that ole' Mili grew up on.

RUN DMC - The group the started it all! - THE KING OF ROCK

My favorite lyric is DMC's.....

"Roll to the rock, rock to the roll
DMC stands for devastating mic control
You can't touch me with a ten foot pole
And I even made the devil sell me his soul..."

I’m 26, never cared for DMC

Don’t...don’t believe the hype...Public Enemy and Ice Cube are more of my speed

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who's your favorite rapper and favorite verse from that rapper....Go

I’m 26, never cared for DMC

Don’t...don’t believe the hype...Public Enemy and Ice Cube are more of my speed

DMC was the perfect compliment to Run's aggressive nature and style. Just like I never cared for that clown Flavor Flav. But, he was the "comic-relief" to help Public Enemy's rough, tough political demeanor and message more receptive to the masses.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Wow! Can't believe that I'm just seeing this thread. Well, being that I'm a "baby-boomer," my generation ushered in the true and pure nature of..."HIP-HOP". There are far too many artists and their lyrics to choose from as being my favorite. So, I'll slow roll you cats a few of the many that ole' Mili grew up on.

RUN DMC - The group the started it all! - THE KING OF ROCK

My favorite lyric is DMC's.....

"Roll to the rock, rock to the roll
DMC stands for devastating mic control
You can't touch me with a ten foot pole
And I even made the devil sell me his soul..."

Oh man... I despise this era of rap lol. If you eliminate rakim you're talking about rappers with the lyrical ability on par with snap dance rappers, and subject matter consisting of boomboxes and adidas shelltoes

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tbh I don't really judge by their solo works, I don't like most of their solo works, liquid swords was phenomenal(and rza stamped himself a legendary producer on that) and OB4CL was really good. But their group projects just outshine their solo works so much and inspektah deck and rza always outshined all of them on albums. That raw aggressive sound paired with the use of syllables just really grabbed your ears

That's a fair point, but I take their solo works into account just because a lot of their solo albums, especially in their early years, feature the other members and could almost be considered group projects as well. If I was ranking them only by the group albums then I would probably have completely different rankings. RZA and Inspectah Deck would definitely be a lot higher on the rankings.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh man... I despise this era of rap lol. If you eliminate rakim you're talking about rappers with the lyrical ability on par with snap dance rappers, and subject matter consisting of boomboxes and adidas shelltoes

Lol! Man, that's my era! That era was pure "HIP-HOP". We threw massive block parties back then and the boomboxes, addidas shell toes, kango hats, leather jackets,, big chains and rings, Jordace jeans, pumas etc., were all apart of the "CULTURE" back then in the late 70's and 80's. You best believe that your boy ole' Mili was sport'n ALL OF THAT GEAR back in the day! :cool:

LL COOL J - "I Can't Live Without My Radio"

Last edited:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
To call either of them anything close to GOAT is absurd imo. Both of them are considered GOATS because they were killed at the height of their careers. One can actually argue that pac was headed for a downward spiral, with his whole makaveli and killuminati and dre dissing shit in his last year. And biggie was definitely leaning way more mainstream and he seemed like he would've been all radio singles with one more album release.

Pac:
-fans use his message to compensate for his average lyricism, despite his "message" being just as much violence and money and bitches as every other rapper
-every release of his was only above average until death row and dre beats really made him look better
-lacks complexity and innovation, same ol 1-2-1-2 rhyme structure that dates back to grandmaster flash and kurtis blow, he just did it faster with more voice emphasis

Big:
-next to no depth at all, as simple a subject matter as you can get, lots of rags to riches, brand name bragging, guns/weed/pop the bubbly, women, coogi, etc.
-considering his era he was definitely one of the innovators of complex rhyme structure, but his delivery was often monotone and lacked punch(gimme the loot aside)
-the better lyricist of the 2, but he and puffy could not put together a quality song the way pac and dre could.

And I actually like both of them a lot, I just think if you don't consider their deaths then they aren't sniffing the top 5

I think Big Pun could have ended up being better than both of them, but he never gets mentioned in any top five. His flow was insane!

I agree with most parts of your post, but I would also like to point out that 2Pac's "Me Against The World" is a GREAT album.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Big Pun could have ended up being better than both of them, but he never gets mentioned in any top five. His flow was insane!

I agree with most parts of your post, but I would also like to point out that 2Pac's "Me Against The World" is a GREAT album.
Me against the world was solid but had some cringe songs, so many tears for example just bugged me because he failed to properly end any verse lol. Like he was very raw until dre coached him through his songs.

And yeah pun is easily one of the goats, his voice is a little harsh on my ears but he was one of the 4 syllable killers, along with em, kool G, and RA the rugged man.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Big Pun is greater than both of them.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol! Man, that's my era! That era was pure "HIP-HOP". We threw massive block parties back then and the boomboxes, addidas shell toes, kango hats, leather jackets,, big chains and rings, Jordace jeans, pumas etc., were all apart of the "CULTURE" back then in the late 70's and 80's. You best believe that your boy ole' Mili was sport'n ALL OF THAT GEAR back in the day! :cool:

LL COOL J - "I Can't Live Without My Radio"

Pictures or you are lying lol

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Me against the world was solid but had some cringe songs, so many tears for example just bugged me because he failed to properly end any verse lol. Like he was very raw until dre coached him through his songs.

And yeah pun is easily one of the goats, his voice is a little harsh on my ears but he was one of the 4 syllable killers, along with em, kool G, and RA the rugged man.
Big Pun's Capital Punishment had some BANGERS. And from what I've heard of him, his son, Chris Rivers, can spit some flow too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Eminem is my GOAT but that's too easy, my taste in rap music gets weird after that.

Tech N9ne is my #2, nas 3, and I am utterly obsessed with both wu tang and bone thugs. I think the best rappers in wu tang are the most slept on, inspektah deck and rza were the reason that 36 chambers was such an epic classic, they bodied every verse in spectacular fashion. Krayzie bones gift for blending speed rapping that actually makes sense and melody is one of a kind. Los(lesser known Baltimore rapper) is a lyrical god and one of the greatest wordplay rappers I've ever heard. lil dicky is probably the best blend of lyrical genius and general appeal out there right now, he's too hilarious and likeable to fail but he will shit on nearly any modern rapper bar for bar.

Kid cudi isn't a rapper but somehow falls in this genre, imo he is a genius musician with an untouchable gift for melody that can't be practiced or taught, and a gift of reaching people on a personal level, his production puts you in a trance, his weird ass groan-singing is so catchy to certain ears and really grabs you, and he has shown an ability to rip a verse apart with raw lyricism but it's not his strong suit.
A classic