• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Oh ffs

What has Griffin got to offer that we didn't see yet? He sure as fuck won't play if Flacco twists back again. Hope he's just a camp body - I'd rather heavily overdraft Lauletta or Ferguson than this. WTF??

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
What the hell is wrong with some of you? Signing Griffin is not a big deal. You’d rather sign Kaep? Get the fuck out of here.

If Griffin doesn’t do well he won’t make it into the season. If he does, we might have one of the better backup QBs in the league. There’s literally no harm done with this move.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
What the hell is wrong with some of you? Signing Griffin is not a big deal. You’d rather sign Kaep? Get the fuck out of here.

If Griffin doesn’t do well he won’t make it into the season. If he does, we might have one of the better backup QBs in the league. There’s literally no harm done with this move.
The reactions remind me of when we signed Trent Richardson.

Edit: Oh, looks like @Truth said it first.

jboy19

Pro Bowler

They like to freak out for the sake of freaking out. Signing RG3 changes nothing- he was out of the league last year. He still has to fight with Woodrum (at least) for a roster spot, and if the FO likes a QB in the draft, I guarantee they aren't passing on them because they signed RG3.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The read option has basically been replaced by RPOs, which is basically the read option with the third option being a pass. So hinging his future failures on the death of the read option considering that its first cousin is alive and well at the moment is somewhat strange. He was a pin-point deep passer in his rookie season, and to your point, he fell off drastically in that respect after the injury. But I don't think that we should look at him as a savior. This could be a forgotten blurb in due time. Does anyone remember the hoopla on the board about us signing Trent Richardson and being another sign of our FO ruining the roster? Nothing came of it and he essentially never resurfaced. You're able to bring in 90 players at this very moment. He'll either be released before making it to the final roster should he struggle with his play or his health, or he'll prove himself enough to earn a back up spot. Unless we signed him to a deal with guaranteed money, there's virtually no risk here.
RG3 didn't want to have anything to do with the read option after the injury, even though he never was injured during a play that was officially the read option. He was injured during his own scrambles, when the pocket broke down. He wanted to become a pocket passer, which is funny in retrospect.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Lol, I don't like or hate this. It's just a backup and an upgrade over Mallet... Who cares? If Flacco goes down we're fucked anyways

Simba

Staff Member
I have no problems with the RG3 signing as long as it’s as cheap as expected. I’d much rather take a chance on RG3 returning to at least half of his form than spend $2-4M for some of the mediocre names that have been signed in the last month, and burn a potential comp pick to boot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
BR has an article up on this. I agree million percent with it. The most bizarre Ravens signing ever.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tes-the-nfls-dumbest-offseason-of-qb-signings

i mean i prefer kaepernick to RGIII but how can anyone call signing RGIII to a vet minimum fully non-guaranteed 1 year deal is dumb? there's no risk involved and he may not even make it to the 53...

if RGIII wasnt a name brand this would not be news

all the ravens have done is improve their backup spot for no money and they may improve it even more with a draft pick - RGIII is at best a backup, at worst a camp body to throw into preseason games and keep pressure off a rookie

what's the downside or risk?

trust me i'd have loved it to be kaep in stead but that doesnt make this a bad signing

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i mean i prefer kaepernick to RGIII but how can anyone call signing RGIII to a vet minimum fully non-guaranteed 1 year deal is dumb? there's no risk involved and he may not even make it to the 53...

if RGIII wasnt a name brand this would not be news

all the ravens have done is improve their backup spot for no money and they may improve it even more with a draft pick - RGIII is at best a backup, at worst a camp body to throw into preseason games and keep pressure off a rookie

what's the downside or risk?

trust me i'd have loved it to be kaep in stead but that doesnt make this a bad signing
I don't care about Kaepernick as a QB - I think he sucks.
I just don't understand Griffin signing. Shot knees, can't pass, can't run, yet Harbaugh was impressed with that workout and "the Ravens are now better team"?!?!?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
We signed someone the Browns don't even want.
I mean he was the last guy to win on the Browns. Just sayin.

And the Browns not wanting someone doesn’t really mean anything. We see players leave the Browns and find success all the time. Even Josh McCown just last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't care about Kaepernick as a QB - I think he sucks.
I just don't understand Griffin signing. Shot knees, can't pass, can't run, yet Harbaugh was impressed with that workout and "the Ravens are now better team"?!?!?

why not sign him? he most likely literally adds nothing to the cap because of rule of 51... they tried him out (i assume that also means a medical) and they decided he was worth at least kicking the tyres on - i really dont understand the problem