• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 NFL Head Coach and GM Openings

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Looks like the Texans obsession with Nick Caserio is going to finally pay off. It seems he is the favorite to become the new GM of the Texans.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
that chargers job has to be one of the most enticing

22 yd old QB who's broken various rookie records, a team with lots of talent (a lot of which didn't play this year due to injury)

they've got the 13th pick in the draft and are in good shape cap-wise
What about jags though? 100 mil cap, youngest team , 1st overall and i think they have 2 2nds and 2 4ths..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What about jags though? 100 mil cap, youngest team , 1st overall and i think they have 2 2nds and 2 4ths..

owner just said he would retain final say on personnel (i.e. who and how to pay what big contracts etc.) - not sure many coach or GM candidates will be too excited about the prospect of that kind of ownership

there's also no guarantees that you're going to win immediately - they've got a ton of resources but not a roster with much talent right now - we love draft picks and cap space but they arent as important as actually having talent

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
owner just said he would retain final say on personnel (i.e. who and how to pay what big contracts etc.) - not sure many coach or GM candidates will be too excited about the prospect of that kind of ownership

there's also no guarantees that you're going to win immediately - they've got a ton of resources but not a roster with much talent right now - we love draft picks and cap space but they arent as important as actually having talent
Khan said he was part "of the conversation with the GM & HC on paying players". I mean you can't blame him after the Coughlin decable i.e. not retaining the right players.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Khan said he was part "of the conversation with the GM & HC on paying players". I mean you can't blame him after the Coughlin decable i.e. not retaining the right players.

you cant expect a GM to want to take on a job where they dont have full say but will still bear the brunt of personnel decisions's successes and failures

as an owner you have to trust the experts to make good decisions - and if you dont then why'd you hire that person?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

They def arent gonna be winning soon but i mean if lawerence is half as good as advertised.. they should make a quick improvement. I like myles jacks, henderson and josh allen... i dnt think chassion is all that and has ways to go. Chargers could be a playoff team immediately as next season but i dnt see them winning a SB any time soon. They have win now pieces but i dnt have faith in them to do so...didnt know jags owner was so horrible

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They def arent gonna be winning soon but i mean if lawerence is half as good as advertised.. they should make a quick improvement. I like myles jacks, henderson and josh allen... i dnt think chassion is all that and has ways to go. Chargers could be a playoff team immediately as next season but i dnt see them winning a SB any time soon. They have win now pieces but i dnt have faith in them to do so...didnt know jags owner was so horrible

oh for sure there's lots that fans should be excited about for the future and it's not an unattractive project

but remember coaches want to win - they're not really worried about the long-term future they're thinking about how to win within the next couple of years at the latest which means that they're naturally going to prefer situations where there's talent and an existing structure in place

a coach is going to look at the chargers and see the talent that's already there and back themselves to take that team to a superbowl soon

and to be more accurate - the jags owner isnt horrible but he and his family are quite involved in the day-to-day running of the operations (not inherently a bad thing) so have had a tendency to get involved in contract stuff - he's no jerry or anything like that though

LSURavenFan

Veteran
With Pederson being canned in Philly, it makes that decision to bench Hurts look even worse.

Still happy to be picking 6th, Doug?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I give the Eagles credit, they had their window of contention and they won. Now they have a pretty significant re-tool to go through.
True. Where I don't give them credit is they spent the next several years after that doubling and tripling down on a roster that wasn't that great, trying to salvage whatever they had left. And in doing so, they never got back to better than average, destroyed their salary cap, and now have an aging roster that doesn't have a lot of talent and is consumed by overpaid players.

AND... now they don't even know if they have a competent QB on the roster, and don't have many mechanisms to change that either.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
True. Where I don't give them credit is they spent the next several years after that doubling and tripling down on a roster that wasn't that great, trying to salvage whatever they had left. And in doing so, they never got back to better than average, destroyed their salary cap, and now have an aging roster that doesn't have a lot of talent and is consumed by overpaid players.

AND... now they don't even know if they have a competent QB on the roster, and don't have many mechanisms to change that either.

Ozzie tried that after we won our first one in 2000, that backfired just like it did for the Eagles now. That Eagles team aged quicker than most expected, most expected Wentz who was having a MVP year in 2017 to bounce back from his injury and he just stayed injured and never recovered. The fact Howie Roseman is still there when he's as every bit of the problems going on is crazy. I will never understand how coaches get fired but the owners don't think to fire the GM since the Head Coach can only work with the players the GM gives him. Sometimes the Head Coach gets a bad rap because the GM absolutley sucks at Drafting.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Interesting point by Schefter. It does seem Wentz is staying in Philly as the updated tweet says GM Howie Roseman thinks Adam Gase could fix Carson Wentz.

Last edited: