• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 Edge Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
well i like it lol - all 7 of those guys also feature in my top 10 EDGEs although if those guys are in order that's the highest i've seen turner

throw in basham, oweh (projection) and roche and you round out my top 10
I’m very high on Payton turner, edgars mock draft got me looking back on turner again, he’s extremely underrated I think, especially for us. Paye and basham are 2 more I think would be great for us as moving edge guys.

this isnt an edge question but theres no DL thread so ill ask here, what do we think of onwuzurike?

Simba

Staff Member
I feel like Phillips is the best edge in this class and it’s not particularly close. But obviously the health is the real concern. If he was there at 27, I’d strongly consider taking a swing.

Also like Ojulari a lot. I just feel Phillips is really projectable at the next level

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like Phillips is the best edge in this class and it’s not particularly close. But obviously the health is the real concern. If he was there at 27, I’d strongly consider taking a swing.

Also like Ojulari a lot. I just feel Phillips is really projectable at the next level

At 27 he’s the type of talent we rarely get the chance to draft especially at a position of need

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m very high on Payton turner, edgars mock draft got me looking back on turner again, he’s extremely underrated I think, especially for us. Paye and basham are 2 more I think would be great for us as moving edge guys.

this isnt an edge question but theres no DL thread so ill ask here, what do we think of onwuzurike?

i hate that washington defensive scheme with those 3 man fronts (made watching joe tryon frustrating too lol) - meant that he's frequently double-teamed and even triple-teamed most of the time

Explosive, with longarms and some power - moves well laterally - high effort - frequently gets hands into the chest of the OL and resets the LoS - strong hands but very reliant on winning with his initial jab - not always precise with his hands but stays active and fights - struggles vs OL who themselves are good with their hands - he could be more consistently powerful with his hands but that initial jab is very forceful (has the ability to shock) - plays with good leverage but pad level can rise too high at times - gets tossed around far too easily though - might be a functional strength deficit (not sure how truly powerful he is) - not a ton of pass rush - at his best winning quickly - the more prolonged an engagement, the more his anchor comes into play and the less successful he is - might need to get himself up to 300lbs

when he gets it right he looks like a bull in a china shop - there's some nice upside - would be happy with him somewhere on day 2

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I’m fairly sure that Phillips is gonna go top half

Simba

Staff Member
I’m fairly sure that Phillips is gonna go top half

His health is literally the only reason he might not. If it was based on pure skill, we’d be talking about him a lot less because he’d be in that range where we don’t have a shot.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
His health is literally the only reason he might not. If it was based on pure skill, we’d be talking about him a lot less because he’d be in that range where we don’t have a shot.
Yeah but with the going rate for edge rushers these days there is a team that will take a chance, there is no way a talent like that falls to 27 if he’s ready and willing to go

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

if Phillips and Zaven Collins were on the board, would you take Phillips? Obviously they are different types of players, but damn Collins is good. The one thing I don't want is our coaching staff using Collins at sam due to Bowser just being resigned.

Simba

Staff Member
if Phillips and Zaven Collins were on the board, would you take Phillips? Obviously they are different types of players, but damn Collins is good. The one thing I don't want is our coaching staff using Collins at sam due to Bowser just being resigned.

Phillips and I wouldn't think twice about it. Love Collins as a prospect as well but I still think Phillips translates really well to this level and this defense in particular.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah but with the going rate for edge rushers these days there is a team that will take a chance, there is no way a talent like that falls to 27 if he’s ready and willing to go

I don't doubt it whatsoever. I doubt we'll have a shot. But if we do happen to get the opportunity, I'm taking the chance.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Phillips, Phillips, Phillips, Phillips lol

he's amazing

Collins is cool but as much as people keep trying to call him an EDGE, he's not, he's an off-ball LB who happens to be 260lbs and is as athletic as he is - which makes him hard for me to pin down - seems like a half dont'a hightower, half anthony barr prospect

there's value in that but not ahead of a top tier EDGE, especially as he's the type of edge talent we'd rarely have a chance at

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Phillips, Phillips, Phillips, Phillips lol

he's amazing

Collins is cool but as much as people keep trying to call him an EDGE, he's not, he's an off-ball LB who happens to be 260lbs and is as athletic as he is - which makes him hard for me to pin down - seems like a half dont'a hightower, half anthony barr prospect

there's value in that but not ahead of a top tier EDGE, especially as he's the type of edge talent we'd rarely have a chance at
I'm just asking because the injury history and his medically induced retirement before transferring to the U. That being said, we have taken some pretty darn good players out of the U before.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
One edge player I've been checking out recently is Ronnie Perkins from Oklahoma. He kinda looks like a poor man's Suggs. Very violent and heavy hands, really good power, keeps linemen away from his body, and surprisingly good at getting through traffic. Okay explosion and bend. The main down sides are his technique and discipline, but good coaching should help with that. He's a good fit for what Ravens look for in a rush olb.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One edge player I've been checking out recently is Ronnie Perkins from Oklahoma. He kinda looks like a poor man's Suggs. Very violent and heavy hands, really good power, keeps linemen away from his body, and surprisingly good at getting through traffic. Okay explosion and bend. The main down sides are his technique and discipline, but good coaching should help with that. He's a good fit for what Ravens look for in a rush olb.

i really really like perkins - and oklahoma's defence kept falling apart when they took him off the field

has good flexibility and ankle flexion - and as you say he has some explosion and those violent heavy hands - he's probably the only defensive player i saw on tape beat teven jenkins with power (it's a real shame that jenkins left that game fairly early because i would have loved to see those 2 go at it for a whole game)

he's a guy that doesn't have the most dynamic obvious athleticism and yet he explodes with power and burst - uses pacing and pace changes well in his rushes - more refined than some of the other guys in the class and clearly reads his keys really well

suggs is a great comp - really does remind me of him in a lot of ways

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5

I ranted during the senior bowl about how patronising Matt rhule’s coaching style was with these men - had completely forgotten that it was because it was Payton turner saying “yes sir” lol

Love hearing that we’re putting him through DL drills, looks like the ravens see what I see, a guy who is a legit DE but is such a powerhouse that he could quite possibly be a full time DT if a team wanted him to be.

what’s this shit about saying yes sir? This is the first I’ve heard of it lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Love hearing that we’re putting him through DL drills, looks like the ravens see what I see, a guy who is a legit DE but is such a powerhouse that he could quite possibly be a full time DT if a team wanted him to be.

what’s this shit about saying yes sir? This is the first I’ve heard of it lol

matt rhule at the senior bowl pulled him aside after a 1v1 rep to give him some coaching and as he was talking turner was acknowledging him and going "yes sir" and for some reason rhule decided that those answers in that short exchange was an indicator of not being coachable - so then he pulls the entire senior bowl roster into a huddle and starts giving them a big lecture about being coachable

it was the most cliched thing i ever saw - and it really grated me the wrong way - he got tons of praise for being hands on with guys all week from the draft pundits but honestly it was so old-fashioned and showed an inability to connect with these guys especially when compared to the dolphins coaching staff who seemed just a class above in terms of professionalism, their ability to communicate and coach without being patronising

this was the speech he gave after:

he talks about wanting a dialogue but the way he talks makes it sound like he doesnt really want that at all

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
matt rhule at the senior bowl pulled him aside after a 1v1 rep to give him some coaching and as he was talking turner was acknowledging him and going "yes sir" and for some reason rhule decided that those answers in that short exchange was an indicator of not being coachable - so then he pulls the entire senior bowl roster into a huddle and starts giving them a big lecture about being coachable

it was the most cliched thing i ever saw - and it really grated me the wrong way - he got tons of praise for being hands on with guys all week from the draft pundits but honestly it was so old-fashioned and showed an inability to connect with these guys especially when compared to the dolphins coaching staff who seemed just a class above in terms of professionalism, their ability to communicate and coach without being patronising

this was the speech he gave after:

he talks about wanting a dialogue but the way he talks makes it sound like he doesnt really want that at all

what the hell lol, yeah that was trash, dudes just trying to be respectful and professional, at that age thats all they know, they havent had professional real life experience and half of them kids are probably scared shitless to start a dialogue, ive been in the workforce for 11 years and am still nervous to start a dialogue with my boss lol. not understanding that is a pretty shit indicator of his coaching style

rossihunter2

Staff Member
what the hell lol, yeah that was trash, dudes just trying to be respectful and professional, at that age thats all they know, they havent had professional real life experience and half of them kids are probably scared shitless to start a dialogue, ive been in the workforce for 11 years and am still nervous to start a dialogue with my boss lol. not understanding that is a pretty shit indicator of his coaching style

exactly most of them know they're on show and they don't wanna be known as the guy who started arguing with an NFL HC at the senior bowl so they stick to listening

it was absolutely amazing going from the panthers practices to the dolphins practices and seeing the difference in the way the coaches engaged with the players - the dolphins felt like professional coaches coaching professional players in their demeanour and mannerisms and the panthers felt like high-school/college types where the coaches can sometimes make it all about themselves

i was really not a fan of joe judge to start his tenure - the panthers coaches during the senior bowl really reminded me of everything i feared joe judge would be (but hasnt turned into so far)

i know that matt rhule is at least somewhat of a good head coach probably but i really didnt like how he put himself across with these guys at the senior bowl - he didnt treat them like professional athletes he treated them like the college kids they used to be (i guess that's my best way of articulating it)