• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 Edge Thread

Simba

Staff Member
it would make a lot of sense fit-wise - i wouldnt necessarily be super-pumped about him though (obviously depending on the capital)

Agreed. Not my favorite of the pass rushing options, but he does just scream Ravens in a lot of ways. And you can absolutely take that as a good and a bad thing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Not my favorite of the pass rushing options, but he does just scream Ravens in a lot of ways. And you can absolutely take that as a good and a bad thing.

haha - for sure - i dont dislike him but i dont see the top 5 EDGE prospect/Top 50 prospect that i see many touting him as...

for me he's not someone I'd personally look at until we hit the 3rd round but my guess is that the ravens probably like him higher than that

Simba

Staff Member
haha - for sure - i dont dislike him but i dont see the top 5 EDGE prospect/Top 50 prospect that i see many touting him as...

for me he's not someone I'd personally look at until we hit the 3rd round but my guess is that the ravens probably like him higher than that

I could be very wrong, but he does scream to me the type of guy that gets hyped up and then has a "fall" on draft day. Think he's really only getting run as a 1st rounder because the position is so weak.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I could be very wrong, but he does scream to me the type of guy that gets hyped up and then has a "fall" on draft day. Think he's really only getting run as a 1st rounder because the position is so weak.

it just irks me when all these guys have him rated so high yet in his description in those same profiles by those same draftniks they talk about him as a work in progress in need of some serious refinement

at least with oweh the physical tools are freakish so i can see him going high but there's tons of guys with more refinement and good athleticism who are being thought of behind him...

i hope he's around later - he's definitely someone i'd be excited about if we got him later in day 2 - i'd be excited about him if we took him wherever - but i'd be uncomfortable with him before the very end of the 2nd and don't foresee him ever being close to the top of my board until somewhere in the 3rd round

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jayson oweh is exciting at least, it would be an exciting change in ravens draft culture, take a shot at the super high upside guy and have faith in your coaches, they’ve done a spectacular job thus far

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jayson oweh is exciting at least, it would be an exciting change in ravens draft culture, take a shot at the super high upside guy and have faith in your coaches, they’ve done a spectacular job thus far

especially with how blitz heavy this scheme is it would make a lot of sense to emphasise supreme athletes to be able to get home quick or create carnage quickly because of how likely the ball is to be coming out fast

and as raw as he is, it's not like he's completely devoid of skill - the 0 sacks number speaks loud but it's not like he wasn't disruptive - think he had 20 pressures just 0 sacks in 2020...

and i see some things throughout his tape that make him not quite the project that he's sometimes said to be - he's really intuitive with his hands at the top of his rush to get clean - just imprecise at the beginning of his rush and doesn't seem to often have a plan - you can see nice discipline vs option plays

but he does some things that you shouldn't be able to do playing that position - he's legitimately fast enough to chase down wide receivers, sometimes showcases incredible power and his first-step explosion is wild - and he can dip and bend

oweh's the guy i shouldn't like but i do - im normally not sold on the raw athletic freaks but i see enough with oweh that i think he'll translate - might be more of a wrecking ball early in his career vs a refined rusher but that's fine in this scheme especially from a rookie

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
especially with how blitz heavy this scheme is it would make a lot of sense to emphasise supreme athletes to be able to get home quick or create carnage quickly because of how likely the ball is to be coming out fast

and as raw as he is, it's not like he's completely devoid of skill - the 0 sacks number speaks loud but it's not like he wasn't disruptive - think he had 20 pressures just 0 sacks in 2020...

and i see some things throughout his tape that make him not quite the project that he's sometimes said to be - he's really intuitive with his hands at the top of his rush to get clean - just imprecise at the beginning of his rush and doesn't seem to often have a plan - you can see nice discipline vs option plays

but he does some things that you shouldn't be able to do playing that position - he's legitimately fast enough to chase down wide receivers, sometimes showcases incredible power and his first-step explosion is wild - and he can dip and bend

oweh's the guy i shouldn't like but i do - im normally not sold on the raw athletic freaks but i see enough with oweh that i think he'll translate - might be more of a wrecking ball early in his career vs a refined rusher but that's fine in this scheme especially from a rookie
He reminds me quite a bit of clowney if I’m being real, he is an absolute game wrecker if you dare to run his direction, he is the ultimate disruptor, like he really can turn a section of your OL into a goddamn crater if he’s tasked with a stunt, and that’s the biggest thing to me, in winks scheme, he would be featured and would not be asked to win matchups on his own, he’s gonna be screaming through that A gap with a head of steam very often while the likes of Wolfe, Campbell, McPhee, buike, and bwill are opening it up for him

It's a really tough call, but I think you have to pull the trigger there. He is so much better than any edge rusher in this class. Arguably a top ten talent.

Part of me doesn’t think he’ll be there but if he is, I’m all for it. Risk is worth it in my opinion. Dude is straight up disruptive

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's a really tough call, but I think you have to pull the trigger there. He is so much better than any edge rusher in this class. Arguably a top ten talent.

i think that's the thing - it's rare we ever get a shot at a talent like that, especially at such a high-value position - so if he fell i think it's worth the risk

but it's definitely possible he's not on the ravens board - although i hope he is

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I highly doubt jaelen Phillips is there at 27. I was more impressed by his tape than I was chase youngs, don’t @ me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
payton turner and ronnie perkins are both there on day 2, we are locked in on one of them, who do you pick?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
payton turner and ronnie perkins are both there on day 2, we are locked in on one of them, who do you pick?

i like them both a lot and would be happy with either and they both have things in their resumes that fit what the ravens would look for...

Perkins has the sort of production that they'd normally covet and is somewhat suggs-ian in his play-style
Turner has the physical profile and traits that the ravens normally look at - perkins is a bit lighter than the guys we normally go after - Turner has the traits and weight of the kind of guy we'd be very interested and on top of it all he adds some length too

it's tough because i like both a lot - ultimately i think if it was a straight up battle between the 2 i think the ravens ultimately break the tie with Turner's traits just giving him the edge

but if perkins was 10 lbs heavier he'd be the classic ravens EDGE draft prospect - he doesn't have the traits of some others but he's so productive and really well refined and balanced already

i think for me, unless Phillips has fallen to 27 in round 1, I'd much rather get Perkins, Turner or Basham in round 2 (if they make it to 58)

I think my dream first 2 picks would be 27: Marshall, 58: Basham/Turner/Perkins - and if those first 2 picks happened that way, I wouldn't worry about the fact that we'd likely passed up on some good IOL prospects because the fits are so good

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i like them both a lot and would be happy with either and they both have things in their resumes that fit what the ravens would look for...

Perkins has the sort of production that they'd normally covet and is somewhat suggs-ian in his play-style
Turner has the physical profile and traits that the ravens normally look at - perkins is a bit lighter than the guys we normally go after - Turner has the traits and weight of the kind of guy we'd be very interested and on top of it all he adds some length too

it's tough because i like both a lot - ultimately i think if it was a straight up battle between the 2 i think the ravens ultimately break the tie with Turner's traits just giving him the edge

but if perkins was 10 lbs heavier he'd be the classic ravens EDGE draft prospect - he doesn't have the traits of some others but he's so productive and really well refined and balanced already

i think for me, unless Phillips has fallen to 27 in round 1, I'd much rather get Perkins, Turner or Basham in round 2 (if they make it to 58)

I think my dream first 2 picks would be 27: Marshall, 58: Basham/Turner/Perkins - and if those first 2 picks happened that way, I wouldn't worry about the fact that we'd likely passed up on some good IOL prospects because the fits are so good
i have been big on turner for a while, and hes definitely a wink rusher and an absolute freak of a wrecking ball, but perkins is just... good. idk man, i struggle to put my finger on it, hes got excellent mobility in general and really fires off sneakily fast, changes direction well, good shoulder dip at the arc and a real strong plant and flatten type of bend, comes off the first step low and with a plan, times his initial strikes very well and is a skilled hand fighter as he approaches and engages, beautifully executes the one arm extension rush, well timed and quick and violent hand use on bench press type moves, really jolts blockers and takes them out of the center of gravity and follows up with CLEAN disengages, i agree that he is suggs-esque type of rusher, very savvy and clean, yet violent and powerful, controlled, fluid, bursty, and undoubtedly has that dog in him.

turner you could say has a lot of the same, the big difference is one is more a traditional technical 3 down edge rusher ie. suggs, chandler jones, tj watt, the other is much more of the general game wrecker across the front, ie zadarius smith, trey flowers, clowney, etc. turner definitely doesnt have the same burst, flex, or hand skill, but the change of direction, disengage, pop in the hands, all on par or better than perkins.

perkins i think is more exciting, but turner ultimately probably finds more avenues to get on the field and probably draws winks attention as a guy who demands some rush packages be tailored specifically around him, perkins much more strikes me as "line up on the edge, go do your job, go get the ball".

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i have been big on turner for a while, and hes definitely a wink rusher and an absolute freak of a wrecking ball, but perkins is just... good. idk man, i struggle to put my finger on it, hes got excellent mobility in general and really fires off sneakily fast, changes direction well, good shoulder dip at the arc and a real strong plant and flatten type of bend, comes off the first step low and with a plan, times his initial strikes very well and is a skilled hand fighter as he approaches and engages, beautifully executes the one arm extension rush, well timed and quick and violent hand use on bench press type moves, really jolts blockers and takes them out of the center of gravity and follows up with CLEAN disengages, i agree that he is suggs-esque type of rusher, very savvy and clean, yet violent and powerful, controlled, fluid, bursty, and undoubtedly has that dog in him.

turner you could say has a lot of the same, the big difference is one is more a traditional technical 3 down edge rusher ie. suggs, chandler jones, tj watt, the other is much more of the general game wrecker across the front, ie zadarius smith, trey flowers, clowney, etc. turner definitely doesnt have the same burst, flex, or hand skill, but the change of direction, disengage, pop in the hands, all on par or better than perkins.

perkins i think is more exciting, but turner ultimately probably finds more avenues to get on the field and probably draws winks attention as a guy who demands some rush packages be tailored specifically around him, perkins much more strikes me as "line up on the edge, go do your job, go get the ball".

it's interesting because i see all sorts of scenarios where you can feature them in the pass rush and ask them to just take over games - joseph ossai probably had the most unblockable game of any edge in the class but perkins might have had 2 and 3...

it's a really interesting question in terms of how the ravens might rank them - i really could go either way - they're legitimately stacked on top of each other on my board - when i do my final position rankings (and release my whole board) it is almost 100% that they'll be T-5 at EDGE

i said above that i think they might lean towards turner - but i just re-looked up the perkins production stats and i might change my mind - the ravens love productive guys with production in both the run and pass - perkins really does fit that mould perfectly - he just happens to miss the weight benchmarks we normally seem to draft from

although it must be said that the guys we've drafted on day 2 other than jaylon ferguson in recent years: Tyus, Timmy, Correa have all been lighter than we've historically looked at at the position later in the draft - most of our day 3 picks (which have been remarkably and consistently successful) have been 260lbs+ (most have been even heavier than that)

Tyus, Timmy and Correa were all sub 250lbs with Ferguson and Upshaw the only outliers at 271lbs and 272lbs respectively (drafted nearly 10 years apart from each other)
Judon, ZDS, Mcphee were all over 270lbs with John Simon the only outlier but still nearly 260lbs (weighed in at 257)

not sure whether there's anything to draw from there other than to say that Perkins would be slightly heavier than the lighter guys we've drafted and Turner would fit right in with the heavier guys (yes he measured in the 260s at his pro day but he's played at 270 and up to 290 lol)

i do disagree with you that turner finds it easier to get on the field - i think perkins is well-rounded and technically sound enough against the run with enough refinement as a pass rusher that he'll find opportunities to be on the field on all 3 downs

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it's interesting because i see all sorts of scenarios where you can feature them in the pass rush and ask them to just take over games - joseph ossai probably had the most unblockable game of any edge in the class but perkins might have had 2 and 3...

it's a really interesting question in terms of how the ravens might rank them - i really could go either way - they're legitimately stacked on top of each other on my board - when i do my final position rankings (and release my whole board) it is almost 100% that they'll be T-5 at EDGE

i said above that i think they might lean towards turner - but i just re-looked up the perkins production stats and i might change my mind - the ravens love productive guys with production in both the run and pass - perkins really does fit that mould perfectly - he just happens to miss the weight benchmarks we normally seem to draft from

although it must be said that the guys we've drafted on day 2 other than jaylon ferguson in recent years: Tyus, Timmy, Correa have all been lighter than we've historically looked at at the position later in the draft - most of our day 3 picks (which have been remarkably and consistently successful) have been 260lbs+ (most have been even heavier than that)

Tyus, Timmy and Correa were all sub 250lbs with Ferguson and Upshaw the only outliers at 271lbs and 272lbs respectively (drafted nearly 10 years apart from each other)
Judon, ZDS, Mcphee were all over 270lbs with John Simon the only outlier but still nearly 260lbs (weighed in at 257)

not sure whether there's anything to draw from there other than to say that Perkins would be slightly heavier than the lighter guys we've drafted and Turner would fit right in with the heavier guys (yes he measured in the 260s at his pro day but he's played at 270 and up to 290 lol)

i do disagree with you that turner finds it easier to get on the field - i think perkins is well-rounded and technically sound enough against the run with enough refinement as a pass rusher that he'll find opportunities to be on the field on all 3 downs
Turner vs Tulane put out a “most unblockable” type of game too, ossai and Perkins’ takeover games were against much stiffer competition though