• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Coordinator Thread

I think this will be the first offseason we see the FO build around Joe and use the next 3-4 years to compete with a young D and O but maybe that’s just me

It wouldn't necessarily be the first off-season they tried to build around Joe. They tried in 2015 with Perriman and Maxx but we all know how that turned out. Hopefully they do add more pieces to the offense and hopefully they are more productive

Tru11

Practice Squad
I think this will be the first offseason we see the FO build around Joe and use the next 3-4 years to compete with a young D and O but maybe that’s just me

we have been building around flacco for a while know.

just because there were no results does not mean it did not happen lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With who? Perriman? Stop it
A wr in the first and TE in the second followed by a LT 6th overall the next year is building around flacco. Unfortunately for joe, Perriman has been complete dogshit, and maxx has only been used as a blocker, Stanley's play has been a gigantic boost for joe and he may literally be dead if we didn't have him the past 2 years.

The real issue is just a consistent lack of talent and lack of development at the skill positions along with poor play calling. Joe has had skids of ugly play, but he has also seen perfectly thrown balls in crucial moments bounce right off the receivers hands countless times. One good play like that can get the ball rolling and start up a rhythm but joe so rarely has been able to get shit going with WRs who drop so much and a playbook that has been 99% TE flats passes. Joe has played better recently but it's no coincidence at all that WRs Are making plays now, the playcalling has allowed a lot more downfield shots, and we are running the ball far more effectively. We have built around joe quite a bit but it's all failed, not entirely on joes part but on the part of the coordinators and the positional coaches failing to develop guys.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
A wr in the first and TE in the second followed by a LT 6th overall the next year is building around flacco. Unfortunately for joe, Perriman has been complete dogshit, and maxx has only been used as a blocker, Stanley's play has been a gigantic boost for joe and he may literally be dead if we didn't have him the past 2 years.

The real issue is just a consistent lack of talent and lack of development at the skill positions along with poor play calling. Joe has had skids of ugly play, but he has also seen perfectly thrown balls in crucial moments bounce right off the receivers hands countless times. One good play like that can get the ball rolling and start up a rhythm but joe so rarely has been able to get shit going with WRs who drop so much and a playbook that has been 99% TE flats passes. Joe has played better recently but it's no coincidence at all that WRs Are making plays now, the playcalling has allowed a lot more downfield shots, and we are running the ball far more effectively. We have built around joe quite a bit but it's all failed, not entirely on joes part but on the part of the coordinators and the positional coaches failing to develop guys.
I totally agree I guess I just meant maybe some proven FA signing at the WR position maybe spend some actual money on the offense

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I totally agree I guess I just meant maybe some proven FA signing at the WR position maybe spend some actual money on the offense
Can't do that when we lack cap space.

We had cap space for one big signing this year after retaining bwill, and one modest signing. We passed on the wr FA frenzy where journeymen were getting bank breaking #1 money, and rightfully so, it would've been stupid of us. We took one of the most coveted FAs out there and gave him a reasonable contract, and waited for a veteran to come out late and take a reasonable contract.

Tru11

Practice Squad

SSS , wallace and maclin are proven WR signings.
woodhead and watson are proven receivers as well.

most of the cap is being spend on offense.
remove the QB and the spending is still pretty much even between offense and defense.

i hope i dont have to explain how money and the cap are related big time to each other?

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
SSS , wallace and maclin are proven WR signings.
woodhead and watson are proven receivers as well.

most of the cap is being spend on offense.
remove the QB and the spending is still pretty much even between offense and defense.

i hope i dont have to explain how money and the cap are related big time to each other?
I understand how it all works but every person you named is not young blood that’s what I mean young talent

Tank

Hall of Famer
I understand how it all works but every person you named is not young blood that’s what I mean young talent
lol......not sure how anyone could rationalize a bust like Breshad Perriman as a building block around Flacco. Three years into his career and he’s been zero added value, a dead spot on the roster. And the Maclin signing has been a huge bust as well, another dead spot. Wallace has been OK, but inconsistent. Steve Smith was good in spurts as well but was also old and broken. Torrey is the only young talent he’s had that was close to a #1, but not. Be nice to have a couple of young guys like Antonio Brown, or even Adam Thielen. A young guy who is a dependable playmaker and would be here for at least a few years to build some chemistry.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
lol......not sure how anyone could rationalize a bust like Breshad Perriman as a building block around Flacco. Three years into his career and he’s been zero added value, a dead spot on the roster. And the Maclin signing has been a huge bust as well, another dead spot. Wallace has been OK, but inconsistent. Steve Smith was good in spurts as well but was also old and broken. Torrey is the only young talent he’s had that was close to a #1, but not. Be nice to have a couple of young guys like Antonio Brown, or even Adam Thielen. A young guy who is a dependable playmaker and would be here for at least a few years to build some chemistry.
You summed it up for me

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I got to be honest, if Marty goes after this season, I'm going to miss his pressers. Abruptly broke sentences, unnecessary repeated words, chewing on something.... make it for hard listening but he is one funny guy. Great sense of humor, I give him that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I got to be honest, if Marty goes after this season, I'm going to miss his pressers. Abruptly broke sentences, unnecessary repeated words, chewing on something.... make it for hard listening but he is one funny guy. Great sense of humor, I give him that.

He’s funny and through his natural inability to speak like a human being makes it impossible for other teams to predict a game plan off his pressers

Tank

Hall of Famer
He’s funny and through his natural inability to speak like a human being makes it impossible for other teams to predict a game plan off his pressers
Natural inability to speak? lol. I wouldn’t be fooled. No matter his abilities as an O coordinator Marty is I’m sure well spoken when he desires. Definitely has a formed act for the media.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't know if anyone ever visits RSR, but I saw a link on Bleacher Report and it talked about how Marty actually designed several very good play calls against the Colts down in the red zone, but the players (mainly Joe for as well as he's played) flat out failed to execute.

I think he gets a lot of unjust criticism. Since Flacco has begun showing more signs of early Joe, the play calling suddenly got better. Marty has confidence in his players and we're finally seeing the players actually execute the designed play.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if anyone ever visits RSR, but I saw a link on Bleacher Report and it talked about how Marty actually designed several very good play calls against the Colts down in the red zone, but the players (mainly Joe for as well as he's played) flat out failed to execute.

I think he gets a lot of unjust criticism. Since Flacco has begun showing more signs of early Joe, the play calling suddenly got better. Marty has confidence in his players and we're finally seeing the players actually execute the designed play.

Seems like the offense really changed after Pitta came out with the 1 and checkdown. Thank you Dennis Pitta. One more time being Joe's security blanket.