• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Coordinator Thread

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Seems like the offense really changed after Pitta came out with the 1 and checkdown. Thank you Dennis Pitta. One more time being Joe's security blanket.
Errrr, no, nothing changed after that... at all because Joe was still playing like major ass. Things finally changed when Joe began to look like himself after the Detroit game. It took three more weeks before Joe showed any notable changes.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Errrr, no, nothing changed after that... at all because Joe was still playing like major ass. Things finally changed when Joe began to look like himself after the Detroit game. It took three more weeks before Joe showed any notable changes.

I thought it was right after that but it does seem now that Joe waits a lot longer now than going to the checkdown.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I thought it was right after that but it does seem now that Joe waits a lot longer now than going to the checkdown.
I would very much agree with this. I don't think it has anything to do with what Pitta said (and I still think he has no basis for even saying this). I don't know what triggered in Joe's head (was he really feeling the back for this long?), but he's finally looked exactly like old Joe and it beautiful because now the Ravens really have a fighting chance in the playoffs.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would very much agree with this. I don't think it has anything to do with what Pitta said (and I still think he has no basis for even saying this). I don't know what triggered in Joe's head (was he really feeling the back for this long?), but he's finally looked exactly like old Joe and it beautiful because now the Ravens really have a fighting chance in the playoffs.

I know this might sound crazy but getting rid of that knee brace could also be a factor.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seems like the offense really changed after Pitta came out with the 1 and checkdown. Thank you Dennis Pitta. One more time being Joe's security blanket.

No it changed well after that - the only cemented things that changed between the bad offence and the better offence was the brace coming off/getting smaller (I can’t see it on film but sources seem to suggest that he’s still wearing one - if that’s the case then it must be a much smaller one because I can hardly see it anymore), the bye and oline health improving, which led to joe taking more time in the pocket to read the field, also the jettisoning of perriman from the game plan and the increasing of snaps for maxx and ascendency of project pat in the run game

The Raven

Veteran
Greg Roman for OC!

There were games this season where you could tell he had a bigger influence on the game plan, and there were games where it looked like he had none. There were games where we had an aggressive passing game and a downhill running game like during his time in Buffalo and San Fran, and then there were games where we ran Marty's Trestman-lite offense with shitty zone runs and two yard routes. You tell me which worked better.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Greg Roman for OC!

There were games this season where you could tell he had a bigger influence on the game plan, and there were games where it looked like he had none. There were games where we had an aggressive passing game and a downhill running game like during his time in Buffalo and San Fran, and then there were games where we ran Marty's Trestman-lite offense with shitty zone runs and two yard routes. You tell me which worked better.
God I hope Roman is promoted. I’ll sleep better at night this offseason.

The Raven

Veteran
I looked at our offense's stats and we averaged, as an offense, 4.6 yards per play, tied for last in the league.

So, for context, we averaged, apparently, 4 yards a carry, which is middle of the road or a little less. We averaged 5.7 yards per pass, which was like, near the worst. If we're only gaining 1.7 more yards per pass play than run play, what's the problem? Joe Flacco and the receivers. In week 17, Joe averaged 4.3 yards per attempt. Collins averaged 3.9 a rush.

You're telling me we were only half a yard better passing than running?

There's no way I'll blame an OC for a passing game this inefficient. That's on the QB and the weapons.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I wasn't a believer in that idea at first, but you know, if Joe plays better without it for what ever reason, then I don't care if it makes sense to me or not. I just appreciate that he's playing really well lately.
When I tore my ACL playing soccer, wearing the brace was the worst thing ever. I constantly thought about the knee bc the brace put a target on it. It changed my movement, made me less confident, made me shy from contact, etc...

Once i took it off i was fine. So, i think there could be some credence to it, but everyones different.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
On the Baltimore Ravens site, they are saying Roman is probably leaving to be the OC for Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.
I saw that this morning. Preston's article?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I was reading Ryan Mink’s article. The members on that site are fighting with each other like rabid dogs. I am glad things are more respectful over here!
I didn't even know you could register and comment on there. I won't be doing that anytime soon lol