• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offensive Coordinator Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Outlets reporting now that Greg Roman is staying put here in Baltimore -- with a promotion to assistant head coach. Maybe this means he has more power, too. I can only hope.
Fucking AWESOME!

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Reports are that he's staying and is being given a "promotion" (read huge pay-rise) to assistant head coach
But where does that put Jerry? We have more than one assistant coach now?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
It says on the Ravens site that Jerry is the associate head coach. I wonder what the difference is between that and assistant head coach.....lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

we've had that before with spags and others...

essentially it just means that officially the staff recognises roman's experience and he gets to eat at the big boy table with harbs and the coordinators (probably a good thing given that he likely gets even more involvement in the offensive design and gameplan)

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
It says on the Ravens site that Jerry is the associate head coach. I wonder what the difference is between that and assistant head coach.....lol
Speaking very technically, i would imagine associate speaks to more of an equal footing as in an associate of the head coach, whereas assistant is a step below.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Also, just to point out - since ive seen some comments that our points output over the final 7 weeks was really impacted by the defense getting touchdowns....

We were 2nd in points, and only fall to 3rd when considering only offensive points scored.
3rd in offensive touchdowns.
1st in least turnovers.
2nd in sacks allowed.

Not the whole picture, and yes a somewhat small sample size. But something to build on at least. Especially since we know we're getting talent back on the OL, and hopefully will be adding some weapons.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Also, just to point out - since ive seen some comments that our points output over the final 7 weeks was really impacted by the defense getting touchdowns....

We were 2nd in points, and only fall to 3rd when considering only offensive points scored.
1st in least turnovers.
2nd in sacks allowed.

Not the whole picture, and yes a somewhat small sample size. But something to build on at least. Especially since we know we're getting talent back on the OL, and hopefully will be adding some weapons.
That is true. We should be getting Yanda and Alex Lewis back. Unfortunately, I am not sure Nico will be able to come back as his injury was pretty serious.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
That is true. We should be getting Yanda and Alex Lewis back. Unfortunately, I am not sure Nico will be able to come back as his injury was pretty serious.
Yea itll be tough for Nico. But if we can keep Jensen i like what we've got starting, and skura should be a good swing option inside as a backup.

The Raven

Veteran

1st in least turnovers.
2nd in sacks allowed.

Here we go again with those stubborn stats that disprove the narrative and must be fabricated!

The only offensive stats we have to improve are yard per pass (5.7, 32nd by a whopping difference of .4) and 3rd down conversion rate (34, 29th). Those issues are on the passing game. And ya know what, I'm not even gonna blame the line. We allowed 27 sacks -- ranked 7th in the league. This is almost exclusively on Joe.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here we go again with those stubborn stats that disprove the narrative and must be fabricated!

The only offensive stats we have to improve are yard per pass (5.7, 32nd by a whopping difference of .4) and 3rd down conversion rate (34, 29th). Those issues are on the passing game. And ya know what, I'm not even gonna blame the line. We allowed 27 sacks -- ranked 7th in the league. This is almost exclusively on Joe.
I mean...and his lack of weapons....

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad

Agreed 100% on the yards per pass. Although continuing to improve protection could give Joe some more time to complete the ball down field; though i suspect playcalling to be a part of the issue as well as talented weapons to be part of the issue.

I just hope Marty doesnt look at the 5.7 YPP and think its a great reason to throw every down, because logically if we do we'll get a 1st down every 2 passes.... and then we wont even need 3rd down, and therefore improvement on it.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

For the sack number the reason it was so low as we all saw early in the year, the ball was coming out so fast a sack was almost impossible. The reason for that low sack number is BECAUSE of the low YPA number.

Everytime, early in the year at least, they tried to go deep ir do a real play the line didn't hold up. We saw it happen and it was painful to watch.

Now later in the year the line started playing really well, and Flacco did to and our offense looked really good.

The Raven

Veteran
For the sack number the reason it was so low as we all saw early in the year, the ball was coming out so fast a sack was almost impossible. The reason for that low sack number is BECAUSE of the low YPA number.

Everytime, early in the year at least, they tried to go deep ir do a real play the line didn't hold up. We saw it happen and it was painful to watch.

Now later in the year the line started playing really well, and Flacco did to and our offense looked really good.
So what you're telling me is that other teams don't get the ball out as fast as Joe did in the first eight weeks? You're telling me Brady doesn't get the ball out faster than Joe? You're telling me we had a low sack count because Joe "hold the ball and checkdown" Flacco got the ball out fast?

1. If you take a look at the stats, there is no correlation between sacks allowed and YPA. Saints had 8.1 YPA and 20 sacks. Chiefs had 8 YPA and 37 sacks. Tom Brady, with a usual 3 second release, took 35 sacks while averaging 7.9 YPA. On the other end of the spectrum, the Browns averaged 6.2 YPA while allowing 50 sacks. The Giants averaged 6.1 YPA while allowing 34. In the middle are the Jets, who averaged 6.9 while allowing 49. I think these numbers show there isn't really a correlation between YPA and sacks.

2. The problem was Joe checking down. Two of our three leading receivers averaged less than 9 YPC. Ben Watson led with 61 catches but averaged 8 yards a catch. Buck Allen was in third with 46 catches at just 5.5 yards a pop. Danny Woodhead had 33 catches with just 6 YPC. Boyle had 28 catches with an average of 7. Those are four of our top six receivers. If you combine their stats, you get 168 catches for 1,175, an average of 6.9 YPC. When 2/3 of your offense averages 6.9 YPC and one third of passes go for 0, you're gonna have a low YPA of around 5. 14/3 is 4.67.

I fully understand your argument but it's not supported by the data. The simple conclusion is that Joe likes throwing to the tight end flat and the RB button hook -- for no gain at all, a lot of the time. That's why we have such a low YPA.

Last edited:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

You could tell that Flacco was moving around a lot better in the 2nd half of the season and extending plays to try and find the open WR. With an improved O-line next year and a fully healthy Joe, I expect the YPA to increase. IF we actually make a dedicated effort to add play-makers on the offense too, this offense could actually have loads of potential.