• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean he comes into those organisations with the understanding of the employers that he's going to elevate their defence and he initially did kind of with the jets (albeit they had some serious star power in that defence) but the bills defence actually regressed when he arrived and has got better since his departure - that's a negative impact if ever i saw one - youd at least expect it to stay the same - and i cant put all the blame just on rob ryan either
Perhaps. His record solely as coordinator however is fairly impeccable.

Tru11

Practice Squad
if you read the article, he is not on the top of the list of concerns....this play calling however is making EVERYONE on this offense regress.

based on the link bmore posted he actually is.

while people love to bash the OC the all22-tape suggest the QB has a big hand in it as well.

cant really blame the OC when others guys are open and the QB decides to throw it late to the TE who is covered lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

while people love to bash the OC the all22-tape suggest the QB has a big hand in it as well.

cant really blame the OC when others guys are open and the QB decides to throw it late to the TE who is covered lol

unless the offence itself isnt designed to allow the qb to read all the routes - if it's genuinely a 1 read and checkdown offence then no wonder we so often only send 2 receivers down field... any more and they are useless because we wont look their way - yes the qb isnt throwing to open receivers but if the OC is limiting his reads and designing the offence so that only a couple of reads are ever used then a lot of that blame is also on the OC

unless the offence itself isnt designed to allow the qb to read all the routes - if it's genuinely a 1 read and checkdown offence then no wonder we so often only send 2 receivers down field... any more and they are useless because we wont look their way - yes the qb isnt throwing to open receivers but if the OC is limiting his reads and designing the offence so that only a couple of reads are ever used then a lot of that blame is also on the OC
How do we know that's the case though? I think on the play Joe stared down Watson it was possible that it was meant to be his only read but with free releases like that you just have to evaluate the defense and it's coverage. On the play where he stared down Watson on the flat he had Perriman right in front of him wide open. As BMoreBird pointed out, in the Titans game Joe demonstrated terrible awareness and I think that was heavily illustrated on the goal line play in which we had Buck Allen uncovered. That's a TD pass anyone on these boards can throw and yet it seems like we were waiting for the Titans to call TO before snapping the ball, which we did, made no sense at all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How do we know that's the case though? I think on the play Joe stared down Watson it was possible that it was meant to be his only read but with free releases like that you just have to evaluate the defense and it's coverage. On the play where he stared down Watson on the flat he had Perriman right in front of him wide open. As BMoreBird pointed out, in the Titans game Joe demonstrated terrible awareness and I think that was heavily illustrated on the goal line play in which we had Buck Allen uncovered. That's a TD pass anyone on these boards can throw and yet it seems like we were waiting for the Titans to call TO before snapping the ball, which we did, made no sense at all.

that's literally what dennis pitta was saying about this offence - 1 read...
but i agree - im not defending joe's awareness or reading of the field - just suggesting that the OC does in fact have an effect on a qb's mindset towards the field of play in terms of awareness etc.

that's literally what dennis pitta was saying about this offence - 1 read...
but i agree - im not defending joe's awareness or reading of the field - just suggesting that the OC does in fact have an effect on a qb's mindset towards the field of play in terms of awareness etc.
I don't want to dispute what Pitta says because he's been there and done that, but I think if could go deeper into his explanation, he would probably say that Joe needs to look past his first read and just look downfield more and not leave yards on the field, but Joe is Pitta's friend so he probably won't say that about him publicly. I think if what Pitta had to say was purely of that substance and nothing more, then I will still take his word for it. I just think there's more to it then what Pitta said but he probably didn't want to critique Joe or anything of that nature because he certainly has issues in this offense. I mean, for weeks he's been saying that the Ravens need to look downfield more and get the big play, Harbaugh and Marty echoed those same settlements, so I don't know why they wouldn't change up things.

This offense is just flat out weird.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't want to dispute what Pitta says because he's been there and done that, but I think if could go deeper into his explanation, he would probably say that Joe needs to look past his first read and just look downfield more and not leave yards on the field, but Joe is Pitta's friend so he probably won't say that about him publicly. I think if what Pitta had to say was purely of that substance and nothing more, then I will still take his word for it. I just think there's more to it then what Pitta said but he probably didn't want to critique Joe or anything of that nature because he certainly has issues in this offense. I mean, for weeks he's been saying that the Ravens need to look downfield more and get the big play, Harbaugh and Marty echoed those same settlements, so I don't know why they wouldn't change up things.

This offense is just flat out weird.

oh yeah i agree with that - but marty was also pitta's coach too and so i think it says more about how dire this offence has been that he's speaking out about it and criticising it at all - i dont think he's lying about the scheme/design because why would he - but you're right he might be pulling his punches on joe

oh yeah i agree with that - but marty was also pitta's coach too and so i think it says more about how dire this offence has been that he's speaking out about it and criticising it at all - i dont think he's lying about the scheme/design because why would he - but you're right he might be pulling his punches on joe
I think Pitta is a very honest and genuine guy, so I don't think he would mislead anyone, I just personally think there's more to it then what has been said. I personally think what he said was definitely true though, it's a one read offense but I don't think it's purely that, I think they design plays downfield but sadly, Joe doesn't progress through those reads often.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Pitta is a very honest and genuine guy, so I don't think he would mislead anyone, I just personally think there's more to it then what has been said. I personally think what he said was definitely true though, it's a one read offense but I don't think it's purely that, I think they design plays downfield but sadly, Joe doesn't progress through those reads often.

tbf to dennis - a lot of those downfield throws have looked like first reads to me - the wr has had to win the route pretty early on to get it thrown his way

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yeah, I mean, I appreciate the perspective Dennis is putting out there, but he's not in the huddle or seeing the play calls, so he's speculating that it's a one read and checkdown offense. For all he knows, that's all Joe's own volition.

Yeah, I mean, I appreciate the perspective Dennis is putting out there, but he's not in the huddle or seeing the play calls, so he's speculating that it's a one read and checkdown offense. For all he knows, that's all Joe's own volition.
For weeks Joe has been saying that the Ravens need to get the deep passing game involved and has been very vocal about it, so I don't see why he would like this check down offense. Marty and Harbaugh have also said the same thing so I don't think they have been happy with what has happened to the offense. I think it comes down to execution most of all honestly.

As far as Pitta goes, it could be speculation but he was in this offense last year and it doesn't look like it has changed much at all so that's why I think his words carry the most weight, I think his perspective on things is as good as it will get for an ex-player. I would love to get Steve Smith take on this honestly.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean tbf pitta was in the huddle last year in the similar offence and was even part of the huddle during this very offseason

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
For weeks Joe has been saying that the Ravens need to get the deep passing game involved and has been very vocal about it, so I don't see why he would like this check down offense. Marty and Harbaugh have also said the same thing so I don't think they have been happy with what has happened to the offense. I think it comes down to execution most of all honestly.

As far as Pitta goes, it could be speculation but he was in this offense last year and it doesn't look like it has changed much at all so that's why I think his words carry the most weight, I think his perspective on things is as good as it will get for an ex-player. I would love to get Steve Smith take on this honestly.

i mean tbf pitta was in the huddle last year in the similar offence and was even part of the huddle during this very offseason
Pitta was here during the infancy of training camp with no Joe and I HIGHLY doubt that they had even begun to consider this type of offensive design that early. I don't put stock into Pitta knowing how this offense runs this year.

I don't remember nearly this many check downs last year. I remember actually quite a bit of deep shots and aggressive play calls that were offset by pretty piss poor mechanics from Joe.

This offense looks like it even regressed from last year.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The Joe Flacco thread has kinda died down, but this is why I hate the Baltimore Ravens writers with a passion.

Fact: In his first five seasons, Flacco had a plus-46 touchdown-to- interception ratio. In his last five seasons, his ratio is plus-17.

Opinion: It’s worth remembering that the Ravens wanted to take their bye in the middle of the season so badly that they turned down the chance to take it the week after they went to London, as many teams do. The Ravens came back from London and lost the next week – in fact, lost three of their next four. But given how banged up they are, the bye couldn’t come at a better time.

That's John Eisenberg's article. Why even mention the stat about Joe Flacco if you're not going to give an opinion on it? Like, what?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Joe Flacco thread has kinda died down, but this is why I hate the Baltimore Ravens writers with a passion.

Fact: In his first five seasons, Flacco had a plus-46 touchdown-to- interception ratio. In his last five seasons, his ratio is plus-17.

Opinion: It’s worth remembering that the Ravens wanted to take their bye in the middle of the season so badly that they turned down the chance to take it the week after they went to London, as many teams do. The Ravens came back from London and lost the next week – in fact, lost three of their next four. But given how banged up they are, the bye couldn’t come at a better time.

That's John Eisenberg's article. Why even mention the stat about Joe Flacco if you're not going to give an opinion on it? Like, what?

it carries through the whole article - but he really shouldnt have done it like this - i dont think the facts and opinions are supposed to match up but i dont understand why he's structuring it like that coz i was well confused later in the article

eisenberg legit has the easiest job in the world - he has to write like 1 article a week where he writes any old drivel that has a vaguely positive/optimistic tone about the ravens and he gets paid

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yeah, Flacco has to take his share of the blame. I mean he is the qb. That being said, Marty has instilled this 1 read dump off system and it’s kind of engrained in him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's good that those type of articles are being posted as well because we need a different perspective.
Yep, gives us a little more clarity into the mix. I mean I’ve noticed wide receivers running downfield and across the flat wide open yet flacco doesn’t throw to them. Perriman has been missed on numerous occasions. Sure he has to catch the ball, but come on Joe. Get a new prescription.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Missing Allen was so bad and again another game we lost because of terrible awareness.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pitta was here during the infancy of training camp with no Joe and I HIGHLY doubt that they had even begun to consider this type of offensive design that early. I don't put stock into Pitta knowing how this offense runs this year.

I don't remember nearly this many check downs last year. I remember actually quite a bit of deep shots and aggressive play calls that were offset by pretty piss poor mechanics from Joe.

This offense looks like it even regressed from last year.
The passing offense has regressed from last season, but the running offense and the oline is actual better than last season.

Flacco looks much worse this season, which is hard to believe.