• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Joe Flacco thread has kinda died down, but this is why I hate the Baltimore Ravens writers with a passion.

Fact: In his first five seasons, Flacco had a plus-46 touchdown-to- interception ratio. In his last five seasons, his ratio is plus-17.

Opinion: It’s worth remembering that the Ravens wanted to take their bye in the middle of the season so badly that they turned down the chance to take it the week after they went to London, as many teams do. The Ravens came back from London and lost the next week – in fact, lost three of their next four. But given how banged up they are, the bye couldn’t come at a better time.

That's John Eisenberg's article. Why even mention the stat about Joe Flacco if you're not going to give an opinion on it? Like, what?
Actually more teams are deciding against taking the bye after London.

Yeah, that doesn’t make sense. It’s almost like he forgot the fact he just made.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
which is weird because while the offence was bad in 2013, joe himself looked fine mechanically and technically - so what happened between 2014 and 2015 that ruined joe?
Once kubiak left at the end of the 2014 season his mechanics went downhill. It can be traced to trestman being hired ad OC and Mornhinweg was the qb coach. Then he became the oc without a qb coach. Maybe flacco needs a real qb coach that can keep him from getting away from the basics. Im a believer that teams should have a qb coach and mist do. Don’t understand why we don’t.

Now if you are saying flacco had bad mechanics while kubiak was here, that I don’t remember, but if that’s the case that is the year we started the west coast offense.

Yep, gives us a little more clarity into the mix. I mean I’ve noticed wide receivers running downfield and across the flat wide open yet flacco doesn’t throw to them. Perriman has been missed on numerous occasions. Sure he has to catch the ball, but come on Joe. Get a new prescription.
I don't know why he missed him like that, he's been missing Mike Wallace and he badly missed Maclin for a wide open TD vs Pittsburgh and Maclin was openly frustrated. It's been happening all season long.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no i wasnt saying he had bad mechanics during kubiak but yeah it seems like the west coast offence and not having kubiak has changed flacco for the worse
I think we may be best (if we keep Harbaugh) to have Roman as OC. Roman can use spread concepts and build an offense around the qb instead of vise versa. I’d truly back Roman for 2018 as the OC. I’m sick of of the wco. Flacco is not a fit and has never been a fit for the wco.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we may be best (if we keep Harbaugh) to have Roman as OC. Roman can use spread concepts and build an offense around the qb instead of vise versa. I’d truly back Roman for 2018 as the OC.

id be fine with this but i need us to bring in some young fresh blood - maybe as a qb coach or maybe as a te coach to replace roman but we need some fresh young offensive blood and im afraid bobby engram isnt good enough

Pitta was here during the infancy of training camp with no Joe and I HIGHLY doubt that they had even begun to consider this type of offensive design that early. I don't put stock into Pitta knowing how this offense runs this year.

I don't remember nearly this many check downs last year. I remember actually quite a bit of deep shots and aggressive play calls that were offset by pretty piss poor mechanics from Joe.

This offense looks like it even regressed from last year.
I don't see a difference between this type of offense compared to last year. I don't think Pitta was criticizing the playbook or the formation, I think he was strictly critiquing the philosophy. This team tried to make Joe a game manager in a sense and I think it had to do with the back injury. Safe throws and using the short field. Even if Pitta isn't familiar with the play-designs or anything of that nature, he's still very familiar with the frame work of this offense, Marty, and the philosophy behind it. I think his words carry plenty of weight.

As far as the check down goes, we did have Trestman for the first five weeks of last season and he's the check down god, but with Marty it seemed that we didn't adjust from that. It almost feels like we're running a continuation of Trestman's offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
id be fine with this but i need us to bring in some young fresh blood - maybe as a qb coach or maybe as a te coach to replace roman but we need some fresh young offensive blood and im afraid bobby engram isnt good enough
I agree with both of your statements. No way am I ok with Engram. We need fresh blood for both wr and qb coach.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Yeah, Flacco has to take his share of the blame. I mean he is the qb. That being said, Marty has instilled this 1 read dump off system and it’s kind of engrained in him.

told people last season that marty is not what we need.
got laughed at lol.

Tru11

Practice Squad
which is weird because while the offence was bad in 2013, joe himself looked fine mechanically and technically - so what happened between 2014 and 2015 that ruined joe?

kubiak and his staff left.

harbaugh and his buddies got control of the offense again.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Just watching the games it feels like the philosophy is 'don't turn the ball over' which is good and all with teams like the Chiefs who have playmakers who can make critical plays after the catch. Where as with the Ravens offense when you don't have a mobile quarterback and receivers are not good at getting separation, it won't work. Flacco has the strongest arm in the NFL so why doesn't the team use his strength anymore? Hell I would rather take 2 interceptions a game if the offense could put up 24 points consistently and not have so many three and outs. The philosophy since Trestman got here has changed drastically. Cameron, Caldwell, and Kubiak at least at one point or another knew their quarterback's strength and used it. When you have a Mike Wallace or a Breshad Perriman they might not always beat their corner 10 yards within the LOS but if you give Joe 4-5 seconds and they get 20+ yards downfield you will find them open or an underneath route opened up because of their route.

Flacco looks clumsy in the pocket and it looks like he doesn't know what to do. But it's not like he has been that way his entire career. For that reason I blame it on the coaching staff. You are giving a guy $20 million a year to check down after the first read isn't there. He has the arm of a $20 million dollar quarterback in the league. Use it. You went and got wide receivers Wallace, Maclin, and Perriman all with great straight line speed and you don't use it. I do not understand.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watching the games it feels like the philosophy is 'don't turn the ball over' which is good and all with teams like the Chiefs who have playmakers who can make critical plays after the catch. Where as with the Ravens offense when you don't have a mobile quarterback and receivers are not good at getting separation, it won't work. Flacco has the strongest arm in the NFL so why doesn't the team use his strength anymore? Hell I would rather take 2 interceptions a game if the offense could put up 24 points consistently and not have so many three and outs. The philosophy since Trestman got here has changed drastically. Cameron, Caldwell, and Kubiak at least at one point or another knew their quarterback's strength and used it. When you have a Mike Wallace or a Breshad Perriman they might not always beat their corner 10 yards within the LOS but if you give Joe 4-5 seconds and they get 20+ yards downfield you will find them open or an underneath route opened up because of their route.

Flacco looks clumsy in the pocket and it looks like he doesn't know what to do. But it's not like he has been that way his entire career. For that reason I blame it on the coaching staff. You are giving a guy $20 million a year to check down after the first read isn't there. He has the arm of a $20 million dollar quarterback in the league. Use it. You went and got wide receivers Wallace, Maclin, and Perriman all with great straight line speed and you don't use it. I do not understand.

This is going to sound odd, but Flacco seems much more accurate when throwing balls to this group of WR then in years past. I know none of them have been completions but he has hit Perriman multiple times in stride 40-50 yards downfield in ways that he was not hitting the other WR we had here. Maclin he seemingly always throws a good ball to and we know he can hit Wallace. Basically if the Ravens sure up the TE and OLine situation, I sort of like where they are going on offense though thats sort of like saying "I will like this dinner if you can make the main course good"

Sooky

Pro Bowler
This is going to sound odd, but Flacco seems much more accurate when throwing balls to this group of WR then in years past. I know none of them have been completions but he has hit Perriman multiple times in stride 40-50 yards downfield in ways that he was not hitting the other WR we had here. Maclin he seemingly always throws a good ball to and we know he can hit Wallace. Basically if the Ravens sure up the TE and OLine situation, I sort of like where they are going on offense though thats sort of like saying "I will like this dinner if you can make the main course good"
I actually think outside of footwork Flacco has been damn accurate this season for the most part besides a couple missed short screen passes and a couple dumb interceptions (which he has always made a few I actually think he has less this season.) I actually like Maclin and how he is able to separate he just needs to more consistently. But he will get double teamed if no one else can prove to win 1 on 1 matchups. Everyone is talking about a replacement and everyone needs to pump the brakes. For some reason this team wants the offense to become an efficient dink and dunk when this team has only proved to be successful when throwing the ball deep and opening up room for running backs. The Ravens have yet to prove consistency on offense ever in their entire franchise history. It doesn't help when you have 5 OC or whatever in the same amount of years. I lost count. Quarterbacks are the main piece in every offense so you should build an offense around them, not ask them to change how they play.