• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The MLB Offseason Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
This season is not looking good for the Orioles. There has been absolutely nothing to get excited about.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
No problems. Santa has good things for all the good Orioles fans this Christmas. :oops:
Dear Santa,

Orioles fans would like it very much if we could get 3 above average-great starting pitchers and a Manny Machado extension.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't think Duquette is the main problem, I think it's mostly on Angelos.
I think Angelos has actually been much better as of late because he's getting older and realizes that he has no hopes of winning if he doesn't shell out money.

The issue that I really see is two part. 1) Baltimore is a small market team. They aren't the Yankees or Dodgers who have probably damn near $1B to spend in payroll if they really wanted. I think I read somewhere a few years ago that the Orioles have like $200M to spend in payroll a year. I mean, yeah, $200M is A LOT, but when a good starting pitcher gets like $30M a season and an elite positional player can easily match that, $200M can dry up really fast when trying to tool up your roster. 2) The Orioles farm system absolutely blows. I don't know if that's bad drafting or poor development, but the Orioles generally rank in the bottom 5 farm systems in the MLB. That has changed a bit recently, but once Chance Sisco and Austin Hays get called up (likely very soon), the farm system goes back to being absurdly subpar. Plus, whenever the Orioles have a farm system player worth half a damn, they end up trading them for a half year rental. Like, sure, Zach Davies and Eduardo Rodriguez aren't fantastic players, but they'd be doing much more than the current backend starters for the Orioles.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Angelos has actually been much better as of late because he's getting older and realizes that he has no hopes of winning if he doesn't shell out money.

The issue that I really see is two part. 1) Baltimore is a small market team. They aren't the Yankees or Dodgers who have probably damn near $1B to spend in payroll if they really wanted. I think I read somewhere a few years ago that the Orioles have like $200M to spend in payroll a year. I mean, yeah, $200M is A LOT, but when a good starting pitcher gets like $30M a season and an elite positional player can easily match that, $200M can dry up really fast when trying to tool up your roster. 2) The Orioles farm system absolutely blows. I don't know if that's bad drafting or poor development, but the Orioles generally rank in the bottom 5 farm systems in the MLB. That has changed a bit recently, but once Chance Sisco and Austin Hays get called up (likely very soon), the farm system goes back to being absurdly subpar. Plus, whenever the Orioles have a farm system player worth half a damn, they end up trading them for a half year rental. Like, sure, Zach Davies and Eduardo Rodriguez aren't fantastic players, but they'd be doing much more than the current backend starters for the Orioles.
and the last time the O's drafted a really good pitcher was back in the 70s. Thank you Earl Weaver and EBW for the memories.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
and the last time the O's drafted a really good pitcher was back in the 70s. Thank you Earl Weaver and EBW for the memories.
It's looking like the Orioles will be getting good reinforcements the minors. And to ve fair, Bundy has been stellar if he can just keep up his stamina. Gausman has been uneven, but when he's on, dude is fire. I just hope Hall and Harvey work out.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Yeah, I see what you're saying.

I don't think the drafting has been that bad recently. There are a lot of young pitchers who have potential, but they aren't close to being brought up (at least from what I've read).

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Well, we can't fire Angelos. Who do you think mishandled the Manny situation?
I think it could be on both of them for not starting contract talks with Manny sooner. It could also be the case where Manny wasn't (isn't) interested in negotiating a contract until he can see what offers from other teams are going to be.