• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: MNF Houston

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Heyo all- I wrote my weekly preview, but with Thursday being Thanksgiving and Monday being game day, I decided that I would not work on Thursday and have a day off. So, I will post the article as soon as I get it from @Lost_In_Translation or tomorrow around 1 or 2.

So, I'm going to reply to both of you on this one and I think Sledge alluded to this a bit...

I know Maclin, Wallace, Woodhead, etc. aren't top tier weapons. They aren't S or A tier. They're like B tier and maybe Watson and Allen are like C+. But the thing is, even with these guys injured, Joe hasn't looked any different.

Maclin and Wallace are out? He'll look the same throwing to Camp and Moore. Everyone is healthy? He'll still have 5.5 YPA and a touchdown and interception.

He just hasn't shown even remotely consistent mechanics or accuracy and I don't think it matters who he's throwing the ball to unless they can make otherworldly plays on the regular.

Joe has amazing ability and capabilities, but he's just not showing any of it and hasn't been since 2014.

Thing is for me is that Joe has always had an issue with his mechanics and accuracy. Even dating back to when we were a competitive team, he always wasn't really that accurate nor was his mechanics spot on.

His mechanics and accuracy look really off this year, but I think we underrated just how big of a deal that back injury was for him. He didn't even look 100% when he came back. For the first two weeks our designed plays were literally throws/check-downs to RBs/TEs, I don't think we tried much in getting the WRs involved. I think it's the same issue with Camp and Moore. I think Joe is hesitant to throw it to them unless they're open. I don't think he's going to make the throw if they're covered and I think this goes to Pitta's point, throw to the open man, if he isn't there they go with the check-down. I honestly think what Pitta was saying is very legit, I think the coaches are kind of putting him in a box in those time of circumstances where you have Moore and Camp as your #1 and #2 because you don't want to risk a turnover. It kind of alludes to what Marty said when he said that the offense has to take their chances, but in a "Smart Way".

Honestly, the last few weeks of 2017 were really puzzling to me because he looked better that time then he did 2015 when he tore his ACL. His accuracy improved mightily, as did his patience in the pocket. If we can get that offense, which was a middle of the pack offense into this year, then not only can we easily make it to the post-season, but we can at least get to the divisional round.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully they are just giving him the week off just in case and to try and get some good karma back by giving him numerous snaps off

Essentially I’m hoping it’s a vet week off like jimmy gets
This is most likely what they are doing

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
See that Stanley cleared Protocols and Howard is set to play. Man, that is such great news.

Kinda worried Stanley is a lil squeaky. He has played pretty well but he has to get stronger to take that next step and be one of the truly dominant tackles. Is gonna be interesting to see who follows up on their performance last week out of Judon and Henry. Judon got dpow but I think Henry played the better game. If he can be as good as a Kawaan Short. The defense could hit that next gear. A dominant interior rusher is soooooo underrated!! It's as disruptive as 2 really good edge rushers. Can't beat that fast interior penetration. He is learning to focus his gifts. As he learns to focus his penetration will get more explosive consistent effective and efficient. I have rooted for an imterior penetrator since missing Atkins and then Grady

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Kinda worried Stanley is a lil squeaky. He has played pretty well but he has to get stronger to take that next step and be one of the truly dominant tackles. Is gonna be interesting to see who follows up on their performance last week out of Judon and Henry. Judon got dpow but I think Henry played the better game. If he can be as good as a Kawaan Short. The defense could hit that next gear. A dominant interior rusher is soooooo underrated!! It's as disruptive as 2 really good edge rushers. Can't beat that fast interior penetration. He is learning to focus his gifts. As he learns to focus his penetration will get more explosive consistent effective and efficient. I have rooted for an imterior penetrator since missing Atkins and then Grady
I don’t think it’s underrated. No question it’s really important. We all liked Henry coming out Many saw his athletic gifts. I was thrilled when we drafted him.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I don’t think it’s underrated. No question it’s really important. We all liked Henry coming out Many saw his athletic gifts. I was thrilled when we drafted him.

Henry was one of my favorite players in that draft. And my favorite tackle since Grady. My favorite player we drafted behind Stanley whom was the player I wanted through the process. I mean yeah a dominant interior rusher is valued but nobody seems to place the same emphasis on it as an edge rusher. Most will take Khalil Mack over Atkins and Donald. I would take Aaron Donald in .03 seconds over Khalil Mack and any edge rusher .Besides Bosa maybe who can line up inside as well

K-Dog

MVP
Looking shaky for me for Monday folks.

I have been WAY sick. I actually have no voice right now. I missed yesterday's family get together. :(
I have two more days to try and rest up and get through this thing.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
pleasently surprised about BOTh stanley and howard playing.

Looking at the texans injury report they are like us in the early season. Hopkins and clowney are going to play but are carrying knocks.

kevin johnson might not play...they are a mess.

no excuses.

if indeed mosely had a basic ankle sprain ( twisted ankle) then he will play and it's a mere precaution. If not then they are the dumbest coaching staff in america.

TBH if we're up by at least 2 touchdowns by the middle of the 3rd i'd take both jimmy and cj off the field.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Henry was one of my favorite players in that draft. And my favorite tackle since Grady. My favorite player we drafted behind Stanley whom was the player I wanted through the process. I mean yeah a dominant interior rusher is valued but nobody seems to place the same emphasis on it as an edge rusher. Most will take Khalil Mack over Atkins and Donald. I would take Aaron Donald in .03 seconds over Khalil Mack and any edge rusher .Besides Bosa maybe who can line up inside as well
Yeah Bosa was my favorite player in the 2016 draft and always liked Standley as well. I liked him a lot and always thought due to playing in a pro style offense, he’d be the better player at least early in his career.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think they're both gonna show up. Totally agree with the underlined sentence. It not always about the splash plays but I'm highly excited about Judon.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looking shaky for me for Monday folks.

I have been WAY sick. I actually have no voice right now. I missed yesterday's family get together. :(
I have two more days to try and rest up and get through this thing.

So sorry you wasn't able to hang with your family on Thanksgiving. Hope they brought some food home for ya well at least some pie. Somehow I think that warrior mentality will get you there.

Of course he could be rusty, but a rusty Stanley is five times better then Hurst at LT. It's a huge difference maker.

I really do like Willie Henry and he's an example of a guy who just get's better with the reps. Sometimes these guys need to see the field. I think he's done exceptionally well as a pass rusher and he's solid in run defense. I think he's going to be a huge player for us down the line. I think Judon played a great game against GB though and I do believe he was our best defender that day. He literally excelled in all three phases and I don't think you can outdo that. He's going to make a name for himself here if he keeps playing like this. It seems like he's beginning to get that consistency down and learning how to use his speed and explosiveness.