• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i was exactly the same as you when i first watched him (cant remember which games) but i thought he was a great run defender but with limited pass rush weapons and kinda stiff - but i always saw explosive upfield burst and the ability to separate late in the play (which is a pretty good indicator of active hand usage and counters)

but then he came and wrecked shop at the senior bowl with a massive repertoire of moves and so i went back to the tape and got digging - found some endzone angles and noticed the way he attacks tackles with a pass rush plan, saw how effective he was with his stab and then countering off the long-arm - just started to see really nuanced hand usage to stay clean through his rush (attacking weak points and timing his moves well)

he didnt pop off the screen instantly the way some of the other guys did - but the more you watch of him, the more you notice his nuance and intelligence and athleticism and how they all come together
What about the pass rusher from minnesota? He looks real good

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Mike Tomlin is falling in love. He’s gonna have to move up.

Hypothetical scenario: Malik falls to 14. Steelers, afraid of the eagles and other teams that might draft a QB, calls to attempt a trade. What would you be willing to accept, knowing it’s for divisional rival going after a QB? Would the Justin fields trade haul be sufficient?

In the deal, Chicago, to jump up to 11th..sent the No. 20 pick to the Giants, along with a 2022 first-round pick, a 2022 fourth-round pick and a fifth-round in 2021.

Or would you want a lot more because it is a divisional rival.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What about the pass rusher from minnesota? He looks real good

which one lol?
i kid - (but esezi otomewo is kinda interesting in day 3 too)

really love boye mafe - was the first guy i watched in this class who i really liked after being fairly disappointed with some of the - at the time - more highly touted prospects - think he and ojabo are actually somewhat similar prospects in terms of their profile - somewhat rawer guys who are athletic freaks with great play-strength but who haven't figured out the running game with much reliability or consistency yet - but who also have both been refining and improving their pass rush game throughout 2021 adding moves to their repertoire

love how deliberate mafe is with his hands through his rush - really accurate and precise with his aiming points to attack the wrist and hands of the OL through the rush

both he and ojabo also have the ability to bend that others in the class dont

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This never impresses me lol.. almost every back up nfl qb can prolly look this good with no pressure and equipment.. in fact i can do this but just not throw it that deep lol

also was not that impressive - tried to show his ability to change direction vs that pressure but did it at a jog so all he showed was the fact that in that scenario he's getting sacked 15 yards deep lol

pro day throwing is always dumb - the deep ball part of it is always the showy part (and always the big finish because you often working from shallower routes to deeper ones) but it's also the least meaningful - when we talk about arm strength and arm talent, yes part of it is about being able to throw the ball really far, but weak-armed QBs can throw nice deep balls, the real advantage guys with missiles for arms have is that they can fit the ball into tighter windows and get the ball in the 2-hole and beat the safety outside the numbers

rossihunter2

Staff Member

DJ has us passing on stingley (and him falling to 20 to the steelers lol) and taking karlaftis instead

think DJ just doesnt like keeping the same pick (unless he's confident that's the guy) and he gave us stingley last time iirc - but if not, it feels like that's just kind of phoned in lol

Simba

Staff Member
also was not that impressive - tried to show his ability to change direction vs that pressure but did it at a jog so all he showed was the fact that in that scenario he's getting sacked 15 yards deep lol

pro day throwing is always dumb - the deep ball part of it is always the showy part (and always the big finish because you often working from shallower routes to deeper ones) but it's also the least meaningful - when we talk about arm strength and arm talent, yes part of it is about being able to throw the ball really far, but weak-armed QBs can throw nice deep balls, the real advantage guys with missiles for arms have is that they can fit the ball into tighter windows and get the ball in the 2-hole and beat the safety outside the numbers
Not that it necessarily translates fully, but the one "positive" I take out of that is that he dropped those balls right in the bucket. Not something that was consistent on tape with him. I know it's a different concept and scenario but at least that looks good. But by no means do I think his pro day suddenly makes him this completely different player than what the tape shows. I do think he's grown in his pre-draft process though.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Mike Tomlin is falling in love. He’s gonna have to move up.

Hypothetical scenario: Malik falls to 14. Steelers, afraid of the eagles and other teams that might draft a QB, calls to attempt a trade. What would you be willing to accept, knowing it’s for divisional rival going after a QB? Would the Justin fields trade haul be sufficient?

In the deal, Chicago, to jump up to 11th..sent the No. 20 pick to the Giants, along with a 2022 first-round pick, a 2022 fourth-round pick and a fifth-round in 2021.

Or would you want a lot more because it is a divisional rival.

Nope... I wouldn't care how many picks they give us, I'm not giving a QB to a divisional rival. I feel like both Willis and Pickett are Top 10 guys now and any team who wants them that's after us is going to have to move into the Top 10.

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Nope... I wouldn't care how many picks they give us, I'm not giving a QB to a divisional rival. I feel like both Willis and Pickett are Top 10 guys now and any team who wants them that's after us is going to have to move into the Top 10.
If the Steelers want to force things and invest a decent chunk of this draft to lock themselves into a mediocre rookie QB then who are we to get in their way?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Y’all tripping. Malik Willis to the Steelers scares the sweet flying fuck out of me
I actually agree. Willis is the one QB in this draft that has real potential to be a franchise centerpiece, and of course he'd reach that potential if the Steelers got him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I actually agree. Willis is the one QB in this draft that has real potential to be a franchise centerpiece, and of course he'd reach that potential if the Steelers got him.
I’m really not trying to face burrows bengals, watsons browns, and willis’ Steelers twice a year

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
All the hype came for Willis, it seems that he still needs a lot of development, I don't see him starting the NFL on the first day, hopefully he will go before the 14th so we have better options as players.
this year it is difficult to try to "guess" the path of the Ravens, the free agency movements made by Decosta, solve the gaps (a priori), and if by chance they signed Green/Key or some Cb, they would almost leave us in Bpa situation without needs.
there are a few names I'd like to see on the Ravens:
Jordan Davis seems like an absolute freak to me, I am worried that he will not perform the bench press, so important in a DL (see with more than 40, ngata and williams with more than 37), he must have strength but....
Troy Andersen, physical freak, played qb, rb, lb, could be used in so many ways and special teams, good size and speed vs Te.
Taliq Woolen, Zyon mcCollum or Joshua Williams, cb from small schools, of good size and physical abilities, could be this year's stephens.
Andrew Steuber, Cole Strange and Jamaree Salyer, any of the 3, I like his versatility, and what I've seen on the tape, he would be fine with anyone.
Chad Muma, very complete one lb of 3 attempts with experience in safety
George Pickens, there are actually a lot of quality Wr's throughout the draft, but this guy has a bad attitude on the blocks and that's something we like, good hands, good size.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hmm..

C9410241-FDAF-442F-BE9B-26AE9C203A39.jpeg

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Screenshot_20220323-221857.png

Well, this would ba a dream draft for the offensive line. You got a high end backup LT if Stanley can't go, a new starting LG, and a potential starter at C (or at least some real competition). Also, I don't get why Bryant is this far down on the big board. He seems great, if a bit overshadowed by Sauce.