• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bye Week

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Possibly. But then again... why is that position you described any better or worse than the position we were in just six months ago, when we did NOT make a high draft investment in a Tackle a priority?

Six months ago, we had a LT coming back off a major injury, in which case nobody knew when he would be back, we traded away an All-Pro level RT, we signed an aging LT to play a position he's essentially never played before, and the incumbent RT from the prior year was pretty terrible (Tyre).

One could argue our situation at Tackle in 2022 looks considerably better than 2021 at the moment. Not saying they won't make that investment, but I think the investment is more likely to be like a 3rd-4th round draft pick, which is in the mode of guys like Phillips, Cleveland, Powers, etc. from prior years. I.e... no guarantees. Maybe they'll be OBJ level, or maybe they'll be Phillips level.

you're right except i dont think anyone truly really worried about stanley not being able to come back whereas i think in 2022 you'll see legitimate concerns about his potential availability

and for what it's worth - lots of people (including me and you) wanted us to invest at tackle this year too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's not about heaping praise on guys like cleveland and wallace - but you literally dont see anyone complaining about them being wasted picks either...
LOL, that's because the season isn't over yet, and because they haven't sat on the bench for multiple years, which they will.
In 3-4 months you will absolutely, 100%, see people complaining about those picks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need an OT and RB bad. I hope Decosta makes this happen.
Murray and ? , Replacement for Mekari for awhile. Aren't high ankle sprains 5-6 week injuries? I didn't notice any passes to Freeman in the Bengals game who looked good in the Colts game receiving.
Freeman as a pass catcher really wasn't a thing until we were down like 2-3 scores and in comeback mode. Also around the time that their linebackers and safeties are playing way off the ball and would gladly give up anything in front of them for the most part.

The lack of utilization of RBs in the passing game is a concern, but I don't really like any of these backs in that role anyway. Five years ago, maybe. I'm more concerned with their ability to get more than just what's blocked for them at this point.

Wouldn't get your hopes up on RB or Oline upgrades coming from people not already on the roster. There's no money.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Freeman as a pass catcher really wasn't a thing until we were down like 2-3 scores and in comeback mode. Also around the time that their linebackers and safeties are playing way off the ball and would gladly give up anything in front of them for the most part.

The lack of utilization of RBs in the passing game is a concern, but I don't really like any of these backs in that role anyway. Five years ago, maybe. I'm more concerned with their ability to get more than just what's blocked for them at this point.

Wouldn't get your hopes up on RB or Oline upgrades coming from people not already on the roster. There's no money.
What's the talk about Mack coming here? Just a wish?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
LOL, that's because the season isn't over yet, and because they haven't sat on the bench for multiple years, which they will.
In 3-4 months you will absolutely, 100%, see people complaining about those picks.

i mean maybe - maybe people complain about cleveland because he's a 3rd round pick (if he's not potentially starting or in the mix to start in 2022)
but i doubt anyone complains about wallace...

id understand it if it were a high 3rd rounder or a 1st or 2nd... and even then the context matters

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Saw this on reddit lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-173351_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-173351_Reddit.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 125

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really think we have reached a tipping point on injuries. I really don't think we can succeed offensively without Mekari ,our best rated OL.

You cant have all your best running backs out ,Boyle our best blocker(coming soon i hope) and our offensive tackles out with injuries and expect to compete. Our guards have been garbage . Lamar is masking a lot of problems with the line but it caught up with us against Cincy. Bozeman has so far been a better guard than center for us.

We could be in trouble .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Saw this on reddit lol
Not that I think he’s gonna suddenly make it in the nfl, but I’m rooting for him lol.

might wanna spell the coaches name right before you upload screenshots though, this is a request for a job interview and you’re 30 ffs

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not that I think he’s gonna suddenly make it in the nfl, but I’m rooting for him lol.

might wanna spell the coaches name right before you upload screenshots though, this is a request for a job interview and you’re 30 ffs

He was also previously a Raven lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What's the talk about Mack coming here? Just a wish?
I haven't really heard anybody put him here, other than people just reading the tea leaves of "RB available and a team with a RB need". Not sure he's a huge upgrade over who we have either.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean maybe - maybe people complain about cleveland because he's a 3rd round pick (if he's not potentially starting or in the mix to start in 2022)
but i doubt anyone complains about wallace...

id understand it if it were a high 3rd rounder or a 1st or 2nd... and even then the context matters
I mean... what is either's path to playing time in 2022? Cleveland maybe at least competes with guys like Powers or Phillips. Tyre has like almost no shot in my eyes. He'll easily be behind Bateman, Hollywood and Duvernay, and Proche has looked pretty good in the preseason and earned a solid roster spot, and yet he barely gets any offensive action on Sunday's. And that's before we decide whether we keep Watkins for another year and/or add a veteran WR, which we almost certainly might.
His biggest impact, if he makes one, is likely to be the Chris Moore route, which is as a really good ST gunner. And while I like ST players as much as the next guy, I'm not sure I like the idea of using day 2 or early day 3 picks on guys who max out at that level. You give me somebody like Duvernay who returns kicks AND gets a few potential quality touches a game, then I'm for it. But I don't see that as a possibility in the next 2-3 years.