• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Steelers

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I showed her plenty of ravens themed tattoo pictures. Permission slip still not signed. Ha!
I have Ray’s number in purple and gold on the top of my arm lol. I don’t have a wife or kids though, at least that I’m aware of

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
This game scares me. I know the Steelers are bad but they have pride and they were just humiliated.

Meanwhile Lamar just played his worst game as a pro and he knows next week is his shot at redemption. It is so easy to look past the Steelers for all those reasons that this game screams trap game even more than the Dolphins or Lions games did.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
She got me perma-banned off BR.com before she left. Least intelligent "fan" I've ever met, but of course now recognizing that she was never really a Ravens fan to begin with.
Total piece of shit human being.
She was spotted by others under the same name on like Broncos forums shortly thereafter. I had one user that I became friends with email me like last year and tell me he had seen her posting on Jets forums telling fans that they didn't need to draft Zach Wilson, because they already had a SB winning QB on the roster.
You can't make this shit up.

crabcruncher did the same or I think that was their name

Yup. Just super frustrating for me. Was a lot like Eli. If he got to January, he could do a lot of damage. But that fucker needed a LOT of help from Sept to Dec just to get to January for the opportunity to play great. A LOT of help. And even though he had injury issues and whatnot, by the time you get to that 2015-2017 window, where it's just week after week after week of mediocre and inconsistent play from both Joe and the team, and you realize that January football ain't gonna happen, it's just time to move on.

I'm not a lifetime achievement award guy. I was one of the first beating the drum saying it was time to move on from Ray and Ed in 2012, because they weren't close to the best defensive players on the team. And everybody just hands them lifetime participation trophies and contracts for being what they were instead of what they are. I'm only interested in what you can do for us now and in the future. I'm not interested in paying you in the future for something you did in the past.

Ray and Ed really fell off a cliff from 11 to 12.

Let's be real. The only reason this game worries anyone is because of how shitty our offense has been playing. Have a good feeling if we can scrape up 20+ points this game won't be close. That said we'll be sweating this one out until the end unless the defense puts up points.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

the positive (for lack of a better word) is that both tavon and marlon's covid tests came back negative this morning per Zrebiec

the negative is that yet again we've got a injury report that you can only read on this phone:

0b3.jpg

So sad but true . I can’t believe we are 8-3 with these injuries.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

the positive (for lack of a better word) is that both tavon and marlon's covid tests came back negative this morning per Zrebiec

the negative is that yet again we've got a injury report that you can only read on this phone:

Yeah come on down and get this ticket to the Pit of Misery. Your stay will last until this game is over. Have a nice night.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This game scares me. I know the Steelers are bad but they have pride and they were just humiliated.

Meanwhile Lamar just played his worst game as a pro and he knows next week is his shot at redemption. It is so easy to look past the Steelers for all those reasons that this game screams trap game even more than the Dolphins or Lions games did.

not really a trap game - this is expected to be a tough game...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I showed her plenty of ravens themed tattoo pictures. Permission slip still not signed. Ha!

Yea i hear ya. My wife says I’m done lol. Buuuut I’m more of a forgiveness rather than permission kinda guy. My deal was always nothing that i can’t cover up with pants or long sleeve shirt for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah come on down and get this ticket to the Pit of Misery. Your stay will last until this game is over. Have a nice night.

[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean for me the lack of WR hits was always obviously about a lack of investment in the position not much more than that...

the last 4-5 years we've started taking more swings and the last 3 years we've started taking more higher swings too - 1 and 3 in 2019, 3 and 6 in 2020 and 1 and 4 in 2021... and we're now suddenly getting significant contributions from that unit and all 6 are still on the roster (although 1 probably shouldnt be for long)
Ehh. I mean the whole "we never drafted WRs high" thing never held any weight with me.
If we assume that "significant investment" means day 1 or day 2 draft picks...
78 day 1 or day 2 draft picks in franchise history. 10 of them have been WRs. That's about 13%.
It's a very even split (13 each) among Defensive Back, Linebacker, Defensive Line, and Offensive line, which makes perfect sense, given that there's more players at those positions than any other units.
I honestly don't know if that's a good number or not. To me, I'm generally fine with it. 10 WRs in the first three rounds over 26 drafts, means we're taking a WR in before the end of day 2 about every 2.5 years. I don't think that's a modest investment.

I think it's perceived that way, almost entirely, because of the failures of the players we drafted.
Patrick Johnson - 2nd rounder in 1998. Played four seasons, career high was like 525 yards and 3 TDs. Nothing to write home about.
Travis Taylor - 1st rounder in 2000. Actually had an OK career in Baltimore. Best year was 870 yards and 6 TDs. Just never really lived up to the expectations.
Devard Darling - 3rd rounder in 2004. Total whiff.
Mark Clayton - 1st rounder in 2005. Fairly similar to Travis Taylor. Decent five year career, best year was a 940 yard, 5 TD year. Just never lived up to expecations.
Yamon Figurs - 3rd rounder in 2007. Solid kick returner, provided nothing as a WR. Only played like 2.5 years in Baltimore.
Torrey Smith - 2nd rounder in 2011. Hollywood is/will challenge him, but easily the best WR we ever drafted. Had four pretty good years.
Breshad Perriman - 1st rounder in 2015. Total whiff.

You can kind of see the "spurts" that we go on. We use a first and a second on a WR in a three year period from 98-00, both are OK but unspectacular, and we let those contracts plays out.
We use a first and two third rounders on WRs in a four year period from 04-07. Clayton is fine, the other two suck. We let those contracts play out.
We agreeably make very little investment in drafted WRs in the Flacco tenure. It's Torrey and Perriman. Defending, however, is the idea that we did take three WRs in rounds 4-5 from 08-11, but none of them really panned out. '16 we take Moore, who was never a good WR, 2018, which will go down as maybe our best draft ever, we whiffed on Scott and Lasley in the same draft. We take Boykin the next year, and he's done nothing.

I agree there's an escalation of dart throws in the last four drafts, but the only one's we're actually "hitting" on are first rounders. Like Duvernay is a solid pick, and he doesn't contribute much as an actual WR.

That's seemingly the issue. We either need to use a bunch of first round picks on WRs, or we need veterans. There's no other option. There's practically no such thing as "WR development" from anybody outside of day 1 in this franchise.

And I personally don't think its sustainable to spend like 30-40% of your first round draft capital over a 10 year period on WRs. Three of our last nine first round picks have been WRs. At some point, you have to start using day 2 or day 3 picks and getting actual quality WRs out of them. Other teams seem to do it just fine.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ehh. I mean the whole "we never drafted WRs high" thing never held any weight with me.
If we assume that "significant investment" means day 1 or day 2 draft picks...
78 day 1 or day 2 draft picks in franchise history. 10 of them have been WRs. That's about 13%.
It's a very even split (13 each) among Defensive Back, Linebacker, Defensive Line, and Offensive line, which makes perfect sense, given that there's more players at those positions than any other units.
I honestly don't know if that's a good number or not. To me, I'm generally fine with it. 10 WRs in the first three rounds over 26 drafts, means we're taking a WR in before the end of day 2 about every 2.5 years. I don't think that's a modest investment.

I think it's perceived that way, almost entirely, because of the failures of the players we drafted.
Patrick Johnson - 2nd rounder in 1998. Played four seasons, career high was like 525 yards and 3 TDs. Nothing to write home about.
Travis Taylor - 1st rounder in 2000. Actually had an OK career in Baltimore. Best year was 870 yards and 6 TDs. Just never really lived up to the expectations.
Devard Darling - 3rd rounder in 2004. Total whiff.
Mark Clayton - 1st rounder in 2005. Fairly similar to Travis Taylor. Decent five year career, best year was a 940 yard, 5 TD year. Just never lived up to expecations.
Yamon Figurs - 3rd rounder in 2007. Solid kick returner, provided nothing as a WR. Only played like 2.5 years in Baltimore.
Torrey Smith - 2nd rounder in 2011. Hollywood is/will challenge him, but easily the best WR we ever drafted. Had four pretty good years.
Breshad Perriman - 1st rounder in 2015. Total whiff.

You can kind of see the "spurts" that we go on. We use a first and a second on a WR in a three year period from 98-00, both are OK but unspectacular, and we let those contracts plays out.
We use a first and two third rounders on WRs in a four year period from 04-07. Clayton is fine, the other two suck. We let those contracts play out.
We agreeably make very little investment in drafted WRs in the Flacco tenure. It's Torrey and Perriman. Defending, however, is the idea that we did take three WRs in rounds 4-5 from 08-11, but none of them really panned out. '16 we take Moore, who was never a good WR, 2018, which will go down as maybe our best draft ever, we whiffed on Scott and Lasley in the same draft. We take Boykin the next year, and he's done nothing.

I agree there's an escalation of dart throws in the last four drafts, but the only one's we're actually "hitting" on are first rounders. Like Duvernay is a solid pick, and he doesn't contribute much as an actual WR.

That's seemingly the issue. We either need to use a bunch of first round picks on WRs, or we need veterans. There's no other option. There's practically no such thing as "WR development" from anybody outside of day 1 in this franchise.

And I personally don't think its sustainable to spend like 30-40% of your first round draft capital over a 10 year period on WRs. Three of our last nine first round picks have been WRs. At some point, you have to start using day 2 or day 3 picks and getting actual quality WRs out of them. Other teams seem to do it just fine.

i mean i looked in detail at all of this before 2018 and even this offseason i re-upped a lot of that - i looked at all sorts of factors including how often other teams invested in the position and with how much capital

and obviously you have to take into account the fact that when you hit on someone you're less likely to draft someone else at the same position (unless you're the steelers lol in which case you keep drafting and drafting and drafting in the first 2 days basically every year lol)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Man I’m with you, I kinda feel an ugly performance from us and the Steelers best effort of the season.

this week of media buildup does not sound good. Like if you’re not a ravens fan you don’t get it, but as a ravens fan you hear all the media talk and you know it’s bad news

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I feel oddly comfortable about this game for some reason. I hope it holds cause otherwise I’m gonna be really miserable at Heinz field on Sunday

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I doubt we lose this. The corpse of Big Ben is even worse than the half dead Baker. Even if our offense shits the bed again Tucker can out score them.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I doubt we lose this. The corpse of Big Ben is even worse than the half dead Baker. Even if our offense shits the bed again Tucker can out score them.
It's a week-by-week basis. Remember, the Browns offense didn't do shit against the Steelers at home, drops 40 against the Bengals in Cincy. Just sayin.....

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yup. Just super frustrating for me. Was a lot like Eli. If he got to January, he could do a lot of damage. But that fucker needed a LOT of help from Sept to Dec just to get to January for the opportunity to play great. A LOT of help. And even though he had injury issues and whatnot, by the time you get to that 2015-2017 window, where it's just week after week after week of mediocre and inconsistent play from both Joe and the team, and you realize that January football ain't gonna happen, it's just time to move on.

I'm not a lifetime achievement award guy. I was one of the first beating the drum saying it was time to move on from Ray and Ed in 2012, because they weren't close to the best defensive players on the team. And everybody just hands them lifetime participation trophies and contracts for being what they were instead of what they are. I'm only interested in what you can do for us now and in the future. I'm not interested in paying you in the future for something you did in the past.
So, about Ronnie Stanley…

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
This recap of the last decade has been great, dare I say it may have started with my flacco comment.

I regret saying that RSR and Reddit was better than this place, it’s not, please forgive me for my hateful, foolish words.

I’ll never forget the Aaron Mellette hype lol